? Bilirubin in Urine, vet says stop Methyl B-12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kay&junior, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay&junior

kay&junior Member

Hi All,

Junior is doing well with blood testing, his average BG is about 150. No spread sheet yet, google wasn't working well yesterday....

New problem, in the last 2 days bilirubin has showed up in his urine, ketones & all else negative, except glucose of course.

Vet says to stop Methyl B-12 for 1 week to see if it is changing the compostion of the test strips I use. She wants to do Blood, but I am still stuck with no bridge over the River in my little town, so this is her suggestion. And to check urine daily, which is ok, he only goes twice a day.

I can't find anything that says methyl b-12 will change any urine test strip, should I stop it?

Other than that, he seems fine, his neuropathy hasn't gotten worse, maybe a slight improvement, and he still purrs, pees, poops, and preens!

I googled Bilirubin in felines, got scared and wrote to all of you instead.

thanks for any help.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I to could not find anything about the Methyl and bilirubin but I would stop the methyl and see what happens.

3. kay&junior

kay&junior Member

Hi larry,

I am finding to much info on it, I think I shall just stop the methyl because it is excreted in urine, and see if that stops the positive readings.

if any info found, please send!

thanks!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

just a question but what form, frequency, and dose of B12 are you giving.
    I had always been told that excess is just dumped in urine, so how is that a problem and connected?

5. kay&junior

kay&junior Member

Hi Gayle,

The methyl b-12 I give him is pill form, 3 mg, I crumble it up on his wet food & mix, am & pm,

and yes, I was told the same thing, extra is excreted in the urine.

I don't understand it, and don't know what else to do but stop it and see if it changes the urine dip stick to negative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.