Billy & Kiara from Toronto. Diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kiara, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiara

Kiara Member

Hey everyone!

Really grateful this forum exists. I'm Kiara and Billy is my feline friend. We live with two big dogs in Toronto. I have a decent vet and a couple of fantastic friends helping me so far, but I'm still a little overwhelmed. First dose given tonight. Hoping glucose testing goes well tomorrow. I'm nervous, sad, guilty. In December, he was tested for everything and came back negative despite anorexia and high blood glucose. He nearly died but there was no glucose in the urine. He rallied and became completely fine (or so he appeared). 8 months later with little change in behaviour and actually gaining weight ...diabetes with liver damage. 11 years old last week and a fighter! We are in this for the long haul.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

3. nora

nora Member

Hi Kiara and Billy--I'm new here too. I understand you feel nervous and sad, but I hope you don't continue to feel guilty. You've clearly been keeping on top of vet visits the best that you could given what he was showing you. I don't think it's possible to "give" your pet diabetes. Cats, like people, get it for all different kinds of reasons. I was shocked as my 12-year-old cat Kali was always the skinny kitty and never on my radar for diabetes, so you just never know. Already I've learned a lot which makes me believe I can actually help her. You sound like a fighter, too. I know you'll do everything possible for Billy.--Nora and Kali

4. Kiara

Kiara Member

Thanks so much for your replies. In tears with home testing right now. Wasting work from home days and holes in the ear. Three pricks 20 minutes ago... blood all over floor and bed but none in the test strip. He won't be restrained and he runs after the little poke. I can't always have a friend helping ... no idea how I am ever going to get a glucose chart done.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may want to do testing in a bathroom, where you can close the door. Cleanup will be easier!
    Another option is to burrito wrap your cat inj a towel to provide some gentle restraint.
    If you can get the droplet on a clean fingernail 9or even your clean hand!), you can test from there.
    Lancets identified for alternate site testing (26-28 gauge) are thicker and more likely to succeed in getting blood.
    A low carb treat after every test eventually conditions most cats to voluntarily come to you for the test. I used Purebites freezeRdried chicken.

MrWorfMen's Mom and nora like this.
  6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Kiara, home testing can be a little tough at first, but it will get easier. First, take a deep breath and relax, Billy can sense you nerves. Try this, choose a spot where you will do your testing, take Billy there, hug and pet him, maybe rub his ears some then give him a treat and let him go. Do that as often as you can and soon he'll look forward to it, then you can add the ear prick. It worked for me. My cat comes now whenever I sit in the testing chair. Just remember to breathe!

MrWorfMen's Mom and nora like this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. I notice you are from Toronto. Is that Toronto, ON?

Testing can be a bit tricky at the beginning. There are all sorts of tips and tricks folks use here to get the testing done. Sounds like it may take a bit of work to get Billy to co-operate better but it can be done. What meter are you using? With a cat who won't sit still, it's important to have a meter you can use comfortably and efficiently. I find side loading strips much easier to use than end loading strips especially when kitty decides to do the head shake sending blood hither and yon but that is a personal preference.

First and foremost, relax. In the beginning it's normal for us to feel nervous and our fur babies tend to pick up on our anxiety. If you approach testing with a Can Do attitude you may find Billy will settle down a bit more. You can do this.....just don't be hard on yourself or Billy. A little practice and you'll be a pro.

Please let us know how it's going. Ask lots of questions and we'll help you figure this out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.