Bite wound slow to heal

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LynRich, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynRich

LynRich Member

Hi, apologies for not being on here for sometime , but my cat Squiggles has been stable on Caninsulin for the last 3 years. 8 days ago, she got bitten & scratched by another cat, and the resulting wound is slow to heal. She was on Convenia, which didn't seem to be working very well, she's now on Zodon for 5 days & I'm taking her back to the vets today to be checked.
    I'm wondering if I should ask my vet to take a swab of the oozing & have a culture grown. I know it's normal for diabetic cats to heal my slowly, but this is the first time she's ever been attacked by another cat, so I've no experience. Any advice would be very welcome. I'm based in the UK

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If it was my kitty I'd get the vet to check as you said you're doing. You can certainly ask about getting a culture done. My concern would be the infection spreading to other tissues if it isn't treated with the right AB. Bite and scratch wounds can go deep into the tissue.

Good luck!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Diabetic cats do tend to heal more slowly.
    Did the bite wound rupture or was it lanced/manually opened?
    For deep cat bites the would usually has to be opened to heal/stop oozing.

4. LynRich

LynRich Member

Thanks folks, Kris & Teasel she flushed the wound out again, it was mainly slightly bloodstained fluid this time, with little pus , so she's obviously on the mend . We are keeping a look out for it spreading. LarryandKitties, she started running a temp within 12 hours of being bitten & scratched, so it never had time to form a full abscess. although when I took her back after 4 days because the wound was getting gungy , the vet had to squeeze the wounds to encourage the pus to run out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.