Black Betty bam balam 15 months old

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by crystal wolfe, Sep 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystal wolfe

crystal wolfe New Member

I just brought my betty home from ICU where my vet sent me bc her sugar was 300! They are surprised That she has juvenile diabetes at 15 months old... I used to leave the food out all the time and I still give them wet food every day.. I have 2 other cats.. how do I make all of this work all of them together.. I feel overwhelmed but am ready to tackle this.. I’m hoping For remission!!! How do I make the house hold comfortable for all my babies? She seems depressed and Keeps going to the food bowl .. I don’t know what her sugar is right now.. but the dr. At the hospital said I don’t need to worry about that right now.. just her shots and her meals.. Oh my kids have been in this routine forever and they are hungry too. This is. Reading my heart! Just spent over 2 grand so far

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the place you never thought you would be. This forum is a great resource for knowledge and help.
    Please post on the Main Health Forum where more eyes will see you. This is just the Introductory thread.

In your post on the Main Health Forum, give as much information as you can. The more information, the better we can help.
    Your cat was in the ICU. Where there signs of ketones?
    What insulin was given to you? What is the dose? What are you currently feeding? Post any lab reports that you have, etc.

Introductory reading and information can be found here

FYI - testing at home is how you keep your cat safe and testing at home saves money spent testing at the vets. We can help you save money in other ways as well.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Crystal and Betty. You have found a resource for information about effective diabetic treatment for Betty, and a community of fellow kitty caretakers to support you while you learn and onward.

We can answer many questions about how to help Betty get the blood sugar regulated and hopefully to remission.

Please create a signature so that we can see Betty's information each time you post.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Unregulated cats do not feel well, and they are unable to effectively process the food they eat, therefore they are always hungry. Getting the blood sugar under control is going to help with both issues.

It's very important to know what her blood sugar is, and we advocate home testing so you know it's safe to inject the insulin each time, and see during the day just how low the blood sugar is going. We can help by suggesting what kind of supplies and how to learn to test. We all do it, and our cats have benefited from the practice.

I suggest you return to the Home Page and read the Getting Started and the Education sections on the right side of the page. This is foundation information that every diabetic cat parent needs to know.

Then, please post on the Main Health forum HERE with issues, concerns and questions. This Intro forum is only the welcome mat, and the Main Health forum is more heavily monitored so that those who need it, get quicker assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.