Blackie 07/06 AMPS 440

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

She's still on the same dose (per Mary) for 2 more days, then we'll see what happens. I haven't changed anything yesterday, aside from treating her a bit more chicken during the morning hours when she was in the blue #'s.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Angela,
    Can we say BOUNCE! I don't think Blackie was accustomed to that long stretch of blues she got yesterday and her body most likely fought back. the whole thing is so interesting really. that she woke up suddenly with such a low #, that she did well with the high shot, but the bounce to red is really not surprising. and sometimes a bounce can take 72 hours to settle.
    Well lets see where she takes it from here.

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I won't be concerned, then. I think she has rubber paws. LOL As I'm typing this, she's sitting between me and the keyboard.. actually laying. LOL Just woke up from her little nap, and she wants food. NOt yet as I need to feed outdoor animals, and she's not scheduled to eat until 5:45 p.m. Will post PMPS this evening.

Neg. ketones.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like liver-training to me. I'd keep this dose another day or so & see if the #s settle down a bit on their own. It was a good run though, yippee!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

angela why the strict feeding schedule? when they're newly dx'd and if they have high #'s they are quite literally starving as their bodies cannot process what they take in. feed her as much as she wants. and for evening tests i think 1 hour after food is plenty.

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I have had her on a schedule since she was diagnosed.. Vet suggested 2x a day (every 12 hrs) when she was on the W/D diet, but now that she's on the protein diet, I've added an extra 1/2 can feeding 4 hours after the 2nd feed. I did give her 3 cans a day (1 at AMPS, 1 at PMPS, and 1 4 hours or 4 1/2 hours after PMPS)... Perhaps I should go back to feeding 3 cans a day? Lord knows I don't want her starving on me. :( I'm still new at this part of the disease, too. Just hope I can get this all right one day...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well i know if she's hungry and asking for food you should give it to her at this stage. is she obese or 'fluffy' or anything? is she losing weight? like i said she is not absorbing all she eats when her bg's are high, nor is she absorbing the water. put a little water in with her canned food. unless she is a fatty i'd feed 3 cans in smaller portions if you have the time. don't let the poor blackie go hungrys..

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not bad #'s today for a bouncy girl. better for tomorow fingers and paws crossed :razz:

9. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I swear our bouncy babies have rubber paws. Thanks, Lori. :)

10. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

On the food, many people free feed or give small meals throughout the day. I see it advised to not feed for the last 2 hours before you test and give a shot, to avoid a food spike affecting the ps#s. Other than that, I agree with feeding an unregulated diabetic cat as much as they will eat! They aren't able to use all of the food, so they eat more to compensate. Do you weigh Blackie? I try to weigh Tinkles weekly to see how much he gains or loses. It's another indicator of how well the kitty is responding to treatment.

Just to give a comparison, I was feeding Tinkles 4 or more cans of FF a day when he had really high #s all of the time. Once he got down into better numbers, he slowed down his food intake to about 3 cans. Remember, ECID though...I'm not saying you need to feed Blackie 4 cans a day! I can't free feed, so I give two large meals and a snack (or two) in the middle of the day.

11. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I, too, can't free feed because I have 7 other cats in the house who aren't (yet) on the wet food diet. I'm hoping that in the near future that'll change and everyone will be on the wet food diet instead of eating the dry (not Blackie, of course.. She's been on wet food for about 2 1/2 weeks now).

I'm working on trying to get into a pattern on feeding her during the day. She eats 1/2 can about 4 1/2 hours after her evening meal, which is 1 can. The morning meal is also 1 can. I can probably split the 3rd can into 2 feeds making it 1/2 can at around lunchtime, and the other 1/2 at 4 1/2 - 5 hours before I go to bed. She'd still be getting 3 cans a day, and I do treat her quite often with boiled chicken during the day.

I still add 3 tblsp. or more of water next to her food and mix the juices from the food into the water each time I feed her. She's not frequenting the water bowls as much since doing that and since she's eating the wet food. I know that the wet food has water in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.