Blackie +5 263

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Going to be increasing her insulin tomorrow morning to 1.4 (per Mary's suggestion). Doesn't seem to be any change in #'s today. Blackie seems to be frequenting the water bowl a bit more than usual, as well. I think she was like that yesterday, too. We'll see how the 1.4 does for the next 5-7 days starting tomorrow. Is this still liver training...?

I gave her a small amount of tuna as a treat, along with a few boiled chicken pieces, and a small amount (about 1/4 can) of the FF Classic Chicken Flavor. Won't test her again until PMPS as I need to start watching the strip amount. Not low... Yet, but need to keep a watch on them just the same, and use more if it's required (ie. if another hypo episode happens again.. knocking on wood that it doesn't).

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Angela i would wait since you did hit a nice row of blues with this dose and still could be liver training. you had a relatively flat day yesterday. give it a day or 2 longer. better safe than sorry and these #'s are not bad for such a cat so new on the insulin after a major overdose.
    riding the yellows for a few days is not so bad.
    if this dose was'nt sufficent i don't think you would have had that blue day.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

also if you raise dose be prepared to test more...said you were getting low on strips.

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

If you are getting low on strips, this is the best cost out there to order more for the machine that I gave you:
    http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.co ... Detail.bok

Make sure that you have at least one full box left when you place an order - you don't want to run out.
    In a pinch, you can pick up a box of strips at Wal-Greens, or Rite Aid, too, but they cost more in the stores.

Something that I thought about this morning - On the day that she had the blue numbers, was she exercising/running about more than usual?
    Exercise can decrease those BGL numbers, too, and that is a good thing.

~M

5. Mary & Stormy Blue

And before I forget, (foggy head day - too much cottonwood blowing around here), that strip offer is supposed to be one per customer,
    you could order one in your name and one in Rusty's name. :)

~M

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

During that blue day, she was laying around like normal. I have a hard time getting her to do any exercising or playing. Her energetic spurts seem to last about 5-10 minutes, and then she's pooped. She perks up for brushings, though, and will stretch, and perhaps roll over for me (at times). I'll see about getting her to do some exercising today when she wakes up. Don't want to disturb her rest.

Ok, I'll give it a couple of more days before I increase the dose some more. If there's no more improvement... Would an increase of a fat 1.2 be sufficient before going to a 1.4...?

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

You can try the fat 1.2 at dose increase. It will give her a couple of more drops of insulin on her dose and that might be all that she needs to throw greens at nadir and blues the rest of the time. At least today, so far, she has been all yellow with no pink, or red.

~M

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. Giving her a fat 1.2, instead of increasing the dose to 1.4. Perhaps an extra drop or 2 is all that she needs.

I haven't heard from the vet since Saturday when I dropped the written pages off. I must be doing something right. :) With the help of yourself, and the others on here, that is. :) Again, thank you. :) *HUGS*

9. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I'll keep her on what she's at now for 2 more days. If there isn't any further changes, then I'll do a fat 1.2, and go from there. I guess 2 more days can't hurt. I'm curious to see if she throws me another blue day again before the increase in dosage.

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

On second thought... I may not be able to wait 2 more days. She's back at the water again, and laying with her chin resting on the edge of the bowl. I'm afraid that if she falls asleep, she's going to drown. She looks like she hasn't been feeling all that great all day. :( I've been giving her treats and some FF chicken flavor throughout the day, and she perks up for that. I've also been adding about 1/4 to 1/3 can of water (I swirl it around to make sure that the juices from the can are mixed into the water, and it helps to clean the can out, too).

I'll see what she's like by tomorrow night (Friday night) # wise, and go from there.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh my decisions decisions...over .2 of a unit :lol: go ahead angela and do it. i know you just have too! keep alert for her nadir.
    patience is the name of the game.
    and strange that she is drinking at that number. usually have to be quite high for quite some time before the thirsties set in. are you sure your not being a 'dear mom" letter?

12. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Well, she could be high right now, I don't know. I haven't checked her since +5 this morning. Am about to check her, though. She gets fed in 1/2 hour.

What do you mean by being a "dear mom" letter? You've lost me.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh, sorry. you never received a 'dear mom' letter. i'm gonna go find it and direct you to it.
    it's hilarious and oh so true!
    brb

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i moved it to the top of the heap over in lantus so go look in the lantus pzi and look for a thread called dear mom for newbies...should be close to top if you look now

15. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I saw it. It's cute, and I think it represents so many of us that are new to feline diabetes. LOL Thank you for sharing. :)

16. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd go ahead and raise it to 1.4u. My experience with Bix has been sometimes you need to get the dose higher to get a breakthrough, then it gets lowered quickly after that. To me if you had a breakthrough day and lost it, that probably means it's not enough insulin. If the #s had come back down to blues in a couple days that would have been great, but sometimes with liver training you have to force the #s down. With Bix when those icky high #s would break through, he ended up needing more insulin to keep them down until his liver settled down. It's a pain b/c you do have to keep an eye out for that breakthrough moment when you start getting really good #s and sometimes the change can be dramatic, but if you don't go for it, they can sit in higher #s and start building up more insulin resistance, making it even harder to get good #s.

Hope she perks up soon!!!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah, i'm with joanna now.. :lol: changed my mind. but she already shot for tonight so lets see what tomorow brings.

18. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

oh yeah, I meant it as "I agree with you guys..." but didn't write that!!! hope tonight goes great!!!

19. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I don't think it will make a big difference if you wait until tomorrow night or increase tomorrow morning. It seems pretty clear that Blackie will need an increase. She hasn't hit any green numbers yet, so I don't think the 1.2u is enough at this point, and an increase might push her down into better numbers. Since she seems more symptomatic, I would go ahead and increase tomorrow morning if it were my kitty.

20. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

So, not a fat 1.2.. Just a straight to 1.4 increase. Ok, I'll do that tomorrow morning. I'll be keeping an eye on her... Like a hawk. LOL Look for the posts, please ladies, and I look forward to any feedback from anyone, or all of you.

Blackie's still not doing well tonight at all. Still doing the laying beside water bowl thing. I had to pick up the lower bowl because I'm afraid that she'll fall asleep and drown herself. :( Definitely don't want that to happen.

(Angela needs that story pasted to the wall in front of her LOL)

I'm off to bed. See ya'll tomorrow.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hahahaha mom i don't need a perpetual audience!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.