? Blackie can't stand after getting enema

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AzChic70, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

Blackie is 17 and has had diabetes since April.
    He's done pretty well.

Last week I saw that he appeared constipated. I tried some Miralax but apparently it didn't work.
    He was a bit lethargic. He was also on my water pills for fluids in his abdomen so I figured that could have caused the constipation. He was also a bit dehydrated.

Today I took him to the vet and they gave him an enema and some fluids. They confirmed he was quite blocked up.
    We left him there for 2 hours while they worked on him.
    After speaking to the doctor, I went to pay and they went to go get Blackie and came out with him in his carrier.

When we got home, I pulled him out of his carrier and he couldn't stand up. It freaked me out. I tried to call the vet but they had already closed. They didn't say anything about him not being able to stand up when I picked him up. I'm guessing they took him from his holding cage and straight into his carrier.

As he sat there flat on the bathroom floor, I opened up some food and he was alert and ate some.
    I then put him on my sons bed to rest. He was still alert and had some snacks.

Just now he jumped off the bed and landed on the floor and had some diarrhea. I picked him up and put him in the litter box where he had some more diarrhea. He's now resting.

I've seen 1 post on the internet from somebody with the same situation but they never came back to say what happened.

Could all this be from him being worn out from the enema?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How is he this morning? This sounds so scary!

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he able to walk around now?
    The diarrhoea is probably just a result of having the enema. I don't think I would be concerned about that.
    But the not walking is strange unless they sedated him and he was still groggy from that.
    I'm sure you were very worried.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor little man. Does he get REALLY freaked out when he has to go to the vet? My mother once had an older cat who got so completely freaked out when he went in for grooming (there were issues with his coat) that he could not walk when he first came home. My mother was told never to bring him in for anything again because it was just too traumatic for him. I had never heard of anything like that but maybe that's a 'thing'?

5. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

He still cant stand up at all. The tiniest bit of movement makes him extremely weak. I didn’t think he was going to make it thru the night.
    I am taking him to the vet in a couple hours to see what he says.

He’s always been a docile cat so him stressing at th vet yesterday is unlikely. It just seems the enema took a lot out of him physically.

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and vines for sweet Blackie. Please keep us updated! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

I dropped him off of the vet an hour ago and they are going to do some blood work and keep an eye on him for a few hours.
    The dr pulled up his skin and said he still seemed a little dehydrated.
    So it's all up in the air right now until the dr can hopefully come up with what's going on.

8. FurBabiesMama

I hope it turns out okay. That is pitiful.

9. JanetNJ

I hope they find some answers. Maybe he has a pinched nerve.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  10. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

Just talked to the vet and nothing was found. His blood work came back normal. Glucose and renal are normal.
    Basically they said it's most likely a combo of his age and diabetes and being constipated/dehydrated.
    He is still not standing up-- they told me to take him home and keep an eye on him.

11. FurBabiesMama

12. JanetNJ

Did they give you any pain killers or anti inflammatories?

13. Squalliesmom

I wondered about that, too.

14. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Well --- stink!

Here is hoping he is just feeling a case of wobbly legs & it all comes good for you today.

15. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

We let Blackie go today. He was suffering.

16. JanetNJ

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

17. FurBabiesMama

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :(:bighug:

18. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

I am so sorry to hear about your darling Blackie. What a tough decision to make. I believe he knows he was loved. :rb_icon::bighug::bighug:

19. JeanW

JeanW Member

I am so so sorry. :bighug::bighug: You and Blackie were blessed to have each other.:bighug::bighug:

20. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read this. :(

Hugs for you.

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to let your kitty go. :bighug:cat_wings>o

22. Squalliesmom

Oh, no, I am so sorry to hear this! My heart is breaking for you. I hope your wonderful memories of Blackie can help to heal your heart. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, sweet Blackie, land softly at the Bridgecat_wings>o
    cat_sympathy_loss_of_cat_card-rd46594f003ea4a01a3c7bef418de3023_xvuat_8byvr_324.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.