Blackie has gone to a higher place (? - 03/28/2012)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Team Blackie (GA), Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

It is deep sadness that I announce Blackie has passed away tonight at the age of 12/13 years. His kidney and liver were shot and he had a cardiac arrest upon admittance to the emergency vet clinic. They revived him but he was pretty much in a comatose state and was breathing with his mouth open. The doc put him to sleep after we said our goodbyes. A few days ago he stopped drinking and eating and was vomitting regularly.

I haven't been on here much in the past 1.5 years but I never forgot about this place and the wonderful folks that have helped me out when I was feeling hopeless and overwhelmed. I was planning on updating my spreadsheet and catching up with some of you. I wanted to thank those that helped me out when I needed it, you guys are the greatest cat lovers out there. And the ones acting as the cheerleaders, thank you.

This is really hard and devastating. I'm going to take the rest of the week off work cause even though Blackie was getting up there with age, I didn't think his body was shutting down. He seemed great last week and caught a bird as his final prey. I haven't cried like this since I was in junior high school.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((((Ken))))

I am just popping in this morning to get some info, and I see this! wow!! I am so sorry!
    I am so sorry Blackie had to leave you, but you know he is in a good place, probably chasing more birds!
    Awww I'm really really sad to see your post - fly free sweet Blackie!

Take good care of yourself ((((hugs))))

3. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Godspeed sweet Blackie.
    Dana

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh Ken, I am so sorry. My heart aches for your loss. Blackie was one of my favorites. I'm glad he was feeling well just last week and caught that bird. It sounds like he didn't suffer to long. You did the right thing by your kitty. I know it's hard.
    I'm crying, now.
    I would take the rest of the week off too.

Fly Free, you Wonderful Beautiful Brave Blackie.

Ken, I'll light a candle for him to help him find his way to the rainbow bridge. He'll wait for you there.

Big Tears.

5. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for you loss Ken. Fly free little Blackie.

6. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. Pls take care!

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this news, Ken. Blackie is now in a good place, flying free, and enjoying chasing those birds. You gave him the greatest gift of love by setting him free. Our GAs are welcoming him to the Bridge.

In deepest sympathy,

Ella & Rusty and Stu (GA)

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Blackie comfort you....

...'til you meet again.

9. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Blackie sounds like a wonderful kitty.

10. swandiver

swandiver Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm a newbie here, so haven't heard Blackie's stories but I am sure you hold very fond memories in your heart. wings_cat

11. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. Fly free dear Blackie

12. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Ken, I'm so very sorry about Blackie. I always enjoyed hearing about his adventures around your complex and how well you cared for him. He didn't always make it easy for you with his diabetes and yet you didn't give up. He lived a longer life, full of love because of you.

My heart goes out to you during this sad time. We know how much it hurts. (((Ken)))

13. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss .. I have to say, it sounds like he did not suffer long and was able to enjoy life up till the end .. please take comfort in that .. Fly Free Blackie ..

14. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Ken,
    Sorry to hear about Blackie.... they just hold such a special place in our hearts. I know when my Gumpy went to the bridge, I did not think I was going to make it myself..... such a loss.
    Tears flowing reading your post!
    I hope Gumpy will show him the best places at the bridge to find those birds.

Fly free mr. Blackie rb_icon

15. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Deepest Sympathy on your loss of your dear friend Blackie--Fly free Blackie & land softly!

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you
    Fly free sweet Blackie, land ever so softly...
    jeanne

17. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Please accept my condolences, and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. {{{{{KEN}}}}}

18. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss of Blackie!
    Fly Free sweet Blackie wings_cat many kitties await for you to show you around.....

19. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Fly free Blackie!

Ken,
    My first thoughts were OH NO! What happened?
    I am so very sorry for your loss of Blackie; I can still remember how very hard you and yr mom did the tag team thing to give Blackie the best care he could possibly have, and I know that without you guys, he would not have lived as long or as well.
    I can appreciate how devastating you are feeling; loss cuts deep, but only because of the richness brought to our lives by our cats.

20. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Ken,
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.
    Linda

21. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Oh, Ken-

so deeply sorry to hear this.

Land softly, Blackie.

Celi, Binks, Smudge, and Annie

[​IMG]

22. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you've lost your sweet Blackie. I hope you will find comfort in your memories, knowing that you did your very best for him and that he did not suffer long.

Prayers for your comfort during this heart-breaking time -

Libby

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((Ken))))
    I'm so sorry to hear this news. My sincere condolences.

Fly free, Blackie and land softly.

24. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Oh Ken, I am so sorry to hear of Blackie's passing. Fly free sweet baby.

Pattie

25. bradie96

bradie96 Member

i am so sorry for your loss of blackie
    i can tell you it slowly gets easier i lost my patches on 3/5/12 after 12.5 years of being with me.
    just know he is now better and playing with all the other kitties who have left us.

26. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

So sorry you lost your Blackie. Fly Free Blackie wings_cat Land SOfty rb_icon

27. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It's tough not to think about him whenever I see his bed, food dish, water bowl, etc.

28. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I didn't give you any hugs before (((((Ken))))). I had a candle burning for him, at work today.
    Think of him in a green field of grass with butterflys and low flying birds darting around, and soft warm breezes.
    He will be waiting for you there.

29. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss of Blackie. I know how hard that is.

Hugs,

Melanie & Racci

30. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Ken, I am so sorry to read about your loss of Blackie. I hope that your memories will be of some comfort to you. Do know that Blackie will always be with you: in you soul, your heart and your minds eye. Fly free Blackie - you will be sorely missed. :evil: wings_cat

Attached Files:

31. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Wishing you and your family peace in this difficult time. May your memories of times together bring smiles to your faces each time you think of him.

God Bless,
    Lu-Ann

32. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

There's never enough time, is there? My heart goes out to you as you have had to say goodbye to your precious Blackie - so many goodbyes lately - too many.

Sending many comforting prayers and hopes that the wonderful memories you've shared will fill the void in your heart and life - and bring a smile to your face as you remember the love.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

33. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Thank you all again for the kind words. This is harder than I thought it'd be.

I wanted to let everyone know that I still have supplies left over and I would love to give them out. I still have:

- 4 Levemir cartridges
    - 60 syringes of those 31-gauge half-unit markings of the BD syringes
    - Half a box of the Freestyle lancets
    - 40 Freestyle testing strips
    - A Freestyle meter
    - A Onetouch meter
    - A Precision glucose and ketone meter (only have about 3 strips left, they're expensive)

If anyone needs any of these or knows anyone that can use some, let me know. Thanks.

34. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

You can post your supplies from Blackie over in the Supply Closet forum so that people who are looking for items can see what you have.

Again, my condolences on your loss.
    It is much harder than people think.

35. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Member

Sorry to hear about your loss! May you always carry around the bestest memories!

36. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

I am so sorry for your loss. When they leave us that quickly the pain is immeasurable for us. When one of my beloved civvies died suddenly from heart disease I was beside myself with grief. The very next day my young niece was going to be in a play and I had to go. So I went wearing sunglasses and cried throughout the entire day.

Blackie will always be near you and if you listen closely enough or keep your eyes open he will give you a sign that he is OK. Sometimes they come back and we have just a "knowing" that they're there. Blackie loves you very much and you gave him a wonderful life. Take comfort in that he didn't suffer long. ((((((((((((((((((((((((KEN))))))))))))))))))))))))))

37. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Thanks again for your kind words. It took me over a week to finally accept what happened and I'm ready to move on. I wanted to share these pics as part my closure and healing.

[​IMG]

I got Blackie's ashes about 4 days ago and made this mini-shrine. The plan is to bury half of the ashes by this tree he used to hang out at and the other half I will keep. Or maybe I might just keep the whole thing.

[​IMG]

A few months back when he was still going strong.

38. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Oh such a wonderful shrine to Blackie, Ken, and the picture of Blackie is great!

I am sure that Blackie will be fine with whatever decision you make on the placement of his ashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.