Blaze AMPS 529, +6 313, PMPS 397, +2 295

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah and Blaze, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

It took a couple tries this morning but I got his BG and recorded it in his spreadsheet. It was 529, which was higher than yesterday. He's been on Novolin for three full days, today will be the 4th. Should I be worried about this number? We started with 2U on Saturday and Sunday and I was advised to drop to 1U starting Monday since my fiance and myself are at work all day and I can't test during the day, Monday through Thursday. Is there something I should be doing differently to get his numbers down? Or does he just need more time on insulin to start seeing those number get lower?

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, it's definitely higher than you'd like :(, but not dangerous in the short term.

Let's wait a bit until you have some more mid-cycle data. At the moment, we don't really know much about what, if anything, the 1U is doing for him. He may be consistently high, in which case he'll need more insulin, or he could be "bouncing" from a low sometime earlier. It's so hard to see those numbers, I know.... How does he seem to be feeling?

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

For mid-cycle tests, with him this high this morning, it can probably wait until tonight. If you aren't already, a little dab of Neosporin/polysporin on the ears at the end of the day really helps reduce soreness when you're doing multiple jabs, especially in the beginning.

Hang in there!

4. Sarah and Blaze

I figured it would be too soon to know if the 1U is sufficient or not, we will keep up with what we’re doing. Monday through Thursday, I’m only able to test around 5:30-6 am and 5:30-6 pm and then again before bed but Friday through Sunday, I will be able to get some mid cycle tests in to get a better idea of where he’s at during the day.

He seems to be feeling good. He’s always ready for his breakfast and dinner and he eats a little bit of dry food while I’m at work so his BG doesn’t drop while I’m not there to help. He’s using the litter box, jumps up on the couch or in the window to bird watch, purrs when I pet him, doesn’t seem to be in any pain or discomfort. He had always been lazy, I will him Lazy Blazey, so he likes to lounge around and nap a lot, but he’s always been like that.

And yes I have been putting neosporin on his ears since I’m not the best at BG testing yet, he gets poked a lot. Poor guy. Thank you!

Nan & Amber (GA) and Idjit's mom like this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I know testing is still a bit hit or miss. That will improve with a bit of practice and time. :) One thing you can do since you are not able to get mid cycle tests during the day cycle on weekdays is make it a habit to check Blaze's BG before bed every night. Novolin tends to onset quickly so an early cycle test will definitely help you see where Blaze is headed during the night cycle. Kitties often go lower at night than during the day so even that one extra test can be helpful for determining whether the current dose is sufficient, too high or too low.

As Nan says, higher numbers are not a problem short term so try not to worry.

I would however make sure to test for ketones regularly especially while numbers are this high.

6. Sarah and Blaze

Yes, during the week work, I’m testing in the morning before food and insulin and then the same in the evening before food and insulin. I attempted to test before bed last night but was not successful and didn’t want to keep poking his ears so we went to bed without that test. I’m going to try again tonight before bed so I have some more data. And I’m going to get ketone strips today too so I can test for that.

Testing is definitely hit or miss for me right now, it’s only day two that I have been doing it but I’m not consistent with getting results yet so I know I just need more time and practice, I just hate poking him over and over! I feel like such a bad mom, but I know it will get easier.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

You are certainly not a bad Mom. A bad Mom wouldn't be working so hard at this! If you find yourself getting uptight trying to get blood try singing to Blaze. If you get tense he will tense up too and that can restrict blood flow. Testing takes a bit of practice for both you and Blaze. In a few short days, you'll both be pros. ;)

8. Sarah and Blaze

I had time to run home on my lunch today to test Blaze's BG and we got it on the first try! Reading was 313 for BG at 6+ after his dose of 1U at 6:00 am! Best number I've gotten so far. We'll see how it looks before his dinner and second dose this evening.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Vampire Club!!!
    vampire smiley .jpg

10. Sarah and Blaze

I doubt I will get it on the first try again today! :woot:

11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Have faith, you never know what's going to happen. You are going to be fantastic at this! :joyful:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  12. Idjit's mom

397! Not great, but better. And you got the test Sarah. Now, that's great! You can see that Blaze was in the red zone yesterday, he jumped to black this AM, but is in the pink at midday and the PMPS.

How is he feeling? How are you feeling? I hope you are feeling a bit better about this whole process and have confidence that you are doing your best for him.

You can edit your title from
    Blaze AMPS-529 BG at 6:00, 313 BG at 6+ after AMPS
    AMPS 529, +6 313 PMPS 397
    so all the tests are right there in full view

13. Sarah and Blaze

I actually got it on the first try for PMPS too! I think I have a system down that works now. (I'm sure I will still have plenty of days that I struggle though) I bring him into the bathroom and close the door so the other kitties don't come in, wrap him in a blanket like a burrito on the floor and kind of straddle him because he likes to get up mid-test if I don't do this (I learned), I got the rice in a sock and heat it up, rub his ear with it, get the Vaseline on his ear, poke and test. I hope I can keep this us. He still is not a fan of this whole testing thing.

I know it's not ideal, but is it okay if I test/feed/shoot a half hour to an hour late occasionally? I don't plan on this often but sometimes things happen and I'm home later than I anticipated. I've read that an hour or two early or late is okay here and there but want to ask the people who know best.

14. Sarah and Blaze

Yes, PMPS was 397. What does this all mean? The 529 scared me this morning but the 313 seemed better but now we're up to 397. I will try for another test before bed to see where we're at.

He seems to be feeling good. Ate his dinner, was purring after his PM insulin shot and is relaxing with his cat brother and sister now. I feel okay, I just wish the numbers were better but I know I'm only in the first few days of this. Should I eliminate dry food altogether or keep leaving some out during the day? I was thinking I could do the food sickles and leave some frozen wet food out while I'm at work and just eliminate dry food. Is it too soon to do that?

15. Idjit's mom

Linda will have to answer about t/f/s early or late. I just don't know, sorry.

I hope that Blaze will become more accustomed to testing as time goes on and you won't have to wrap him. It's very early days and he probably can't figure out just what you are doing or what it's for. Treats help I hope, because most of the time conditioning really works and cats like routine. And they like goodies, at least Idjit does! We did a test on Idjit today, and it went so well, I was very surprised.

16. Idjit's mom

Having the other kitties there probably all eating at will is more of a challenge with changing the diet. If you did start leaving foodsicles out, would the other two leave enough for Blaze? I don't think I would change anything just yet, tho..just what I would do. His little body might really respond to the insulin and go low, then he would need that higher carb dry food there to help him raise the BG. I know others will weigh in on this, but it's best to go slow and be cautious and see how these next days go, IMHO.

The 529 is just one number, and he came down. I know it's hard not to react to a high number, but he's doing good. It's going to take more than just a couple of days' data to see what's going to happen. Very hard to do, but be patient :bighug:

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Congrats on another successful test. We all knew you'd succeed! highfive.gif

You have an hour leeway for shots with Novolin. A little more than an hour is fine as long as pre-shot is high enough.

As for the readings you are seeing, it could be that the 529 this AM was from a lower than usual mid cycle last night or a bit of a bounce. Without any test in the night cycle, all we can do is guess. The 313 to 397 at PMPS isn't bad at all.

On the food front, don't withdraw the dry food all at once. I would suggest you reduce the amt. of dry food by a couple of tsps. and make that up with wet food for starters. Withdrawing the dry all at once could cause a GI upset and also cause BG to drop a lot meaning more testing might be required. Weaning off the dry food gradually will make it easier on Blaze and give you more time to hone your testing skills. Reduce the amount of dry food every couple of days unless Blaze has any tummy issues until it's totally out of the picture. Dose adjustments may be needed as the dry food amount reduces.

18. Sarah and Blaze

I hope he comes more accustomed to testing too. He doesn't seem to mind it too much, but if I don't wrap him up so far, he gets up right in the middle of testing and then I'm scrambling to grab him so I can get the blood on the meter! Blaze definitely likes treats, I need to get him some low carb treats so I can start giving him some while testing. And yay Idjit! How often do you test her now?

And as for feeding, I have been giving the other kitties wet food too, I want to eventually transition everyone to wet food at some point when Blaze is ready, but I do leave some dry food out during the day in case Blaze needs it, but I'm sure the other kitties nibble on it too, although they are much for fond of wet food and seem to hold out for the wet stuff. I'm sure they would eat some of the food-sickle, I could put out three small ones to make sure everyone gets some, but I will hold off on that and keep some dry food out like you said, until we have a better idea of things.

Okay, I'm going to be patient and not react to the high number! It's hard but I trust you and everyone else here who has helped me through this beginning stage of Blaze's diagnosis. I would have lost my mind without you guys!:bighug:

19. Sarah and Blaze

Thank you! I feel a little better each time I test! :cat:

Okay, that makes me feel better about the hour leeway with Novolin. I'm typically home in time to T/F/S but wanted to make sure I had some extra time in case I'm home a little later.

And as for food, I will continue to keep some dry food out during the day for the Blaze and slowly reduce how much I leave out until we have eliminated it. I would probably want to try to have the first day without any dry food out, on a day that I am home and can test him more too.

Thank you for all the advice and words of wisdom! I'd be lost without you guys!

20. Idjit's mom

We had been only testing once a month, but he's been limping for a while now, and we think it's arthritis. He's been to the vet, been well checked over physically, no x-rays yet though. He's had a couple of doses of Metacam for inflammation, and it's helped. But we want to be careful using that to prevent kidney damage. Right now we are giving supplement to improve mobility and hopefully decrease inflammation, but with inflammation and pain/discomfort in the picture I want to be sure his BG isn't creeping up. So, I want to test once a week to keep a better check and be ready for any eventuality. I think, in any case, that once a week testing is the way to go anyway. If something ever changes best to know sooner than later.

Going to check with the vet again to explore next steps. If Idjit has to have x-rays he's going to have to be sedated, he hates being at the clinic and every time he acts up more. He has actually has "hissy" fits and gets aggressive, definitely not the demeanor he displays at home.

Sarah, I'm glad you are here too. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable members here..Linda is one of them..and I agree that it's good to have support like that. If you have to jump off a building (diabetes dx and learning treatment) it's great to have people holding a safety net below.

Sarah and Blaze likes this.
  21. Sarah and Blaze

Got our "bed time" test in, it was only about two and a half hours after Blaze's PM dose, but I'm tired and wanted to get one in before bed. We're down to 295 BG 2 and a half hours after his PM dose, is that okay?

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's fine. Novolin tends to onset quickly and reaches peak action (nadir) roughly 3 to 5 hours post shot. While that seems a large drop, it's not unusual. Do you leave food out for Blaze and his siblings overnight? You could leave a bit out so he can eat if he wants to.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  23. Sarah and Blaze

Okay, that’s good news. I figured it was okay, he went from 397 before dinner to 295 a few hours after dinner. He’s snuggling with me now, purring and happy.
    Yes there is some wet food out still and a little bit of dry food out too in case he wants to eat while I’m sleeping.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  24. Sarah and Blaze

Oh poor Idjit! I hope the vet can pinpoint the cause of the limping soon! I know how the whole “hissy” fit at the vet is. Blaze is not a fan. When he had to stay overnight last week, the vet said he was grumpy when I picked him up the following day. They had to trim his nails so they wouldn’t get scratched, luckily he has no teeth so they avoid being bit by him. But Blaze is not like that at home at all, the vet brings out the worst in him. Poor kitties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.