1. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Good afternoon Linda!
    I decided to move our thread here, seems like a better place to be posting instead of the main thread. I’m still getting the hang of things here!:cat:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Gotcha! Good idea! :D

Sarah and Blaze likes this.
  3. Sarah and Blaze

@@MrWorfMen's Mom

Blaze's PMPS is 327, think 0.75U is good again tonight?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Blaze is at 181 at +2 tonight, that's a pretty big drop. I gave him a small snack at +1.5, should I give another snack or leave him be and check BG at +4?

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

That is a big drop. Do you have some higher carb food in the house? If not put that on your grocery list! For now if only LC is available you can mix in a bit of honey to up the carbs. I think it would be best to check him again 30 minutes after he finished this snack to see how much that has raised BG and then decide next test.

6. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    I have FF gravy lovers. Is that HC?

I gave a couple tablespoons of FF Gravy lovers a couple minutes ago, I hope that’s HC enough.

He finished eating 5 minutes ago so going to test in 25 minutes and post on here.

7. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Also, this is a good number to see, right? Just not in a good amount of time after insulin? Good number, too quick of a drop?

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good number that a lot of folks would love to see on their SS but it's so early in the cycle. It really looks like Blaze is metabolizing the insulin pretty quickly. It happens with Novolin but you've already got a plan to address that with the switch to Lantus.

9. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

+3 is at 149, so we dropped again but less this time. Should I give him LC food?

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

It's about your bedtime isn't it? How much longer can you stay up without dragging your heels tomorrow?. I'd love to see what he does for at least another another hour. If that's doable, then give him a bit more gravy only from that food and retest in 30 minutes.

11. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Ya it is my bed time, I have a massive headache tonight too. If I’m up past 9 pm I’m dragging my heels but it’s already almost 10 so I could stay up till 10:30 maybe. Have to be up at 5:30 in the morning to get ready for work.

So give him gravy only right now, no food and test in 30 more minutes?

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yup. gravy and test. Then we'll decide next steps to make sure he stays safe tonight. He would pick tonight when you have a headache to go his lowest. :rolleyes:

Sorry my graphic above crossed with your partial post. All I saw initially was "@mrword" ? HAHAHA!

14. Sarah and Blaze

Whoops, I started a post and don’t know what happened to it. Was going to ask how much gravy but I gave him some until he didn’t want anymore, hope that’s okay?

Will test again in 30 minutes?

I know, that’s just my luck to have a headache tonight when Blaze wants to be in the blue. Dang cat! It’s okay, I’m learning that it’s just how it is when caring for a diabetic kitty. He’s keeping me on my toes!

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes test in 30 minutes (well 25 or so now).

I figured something happened with the post!

If it's any consolation, the fact that he coming down to blues now is very encouraging. I think he'll do great on the Lantus.

16. Sarah and Blaze

image.jpg This is my little girl, Mitzy. She’s very interested in everything I’m doing right now and wondering why I’m up! :cat: My helper.

17. Sarah and Blaze

Yay! I’m happy to see the blues, even if they are happening past my bedtime :woot:
    I can’t wait to get the Lantus. I was told it should be shipped today so maybe by next week we will have it. I probably won’t start it until 9/7 though, I will be out of town for a day and a half between 9/4-9/5 and will be in and out during the day on 9/6 so want to hold off on starting it until I’m home with him and can monitor him.

18. MrWorfMen's Mom

What a stunning beauty.......she looks a little like my old guy. She's a bit lighter and has white paws but markings and facial shading is very similar.

DSCN1203.JPG

This is Myster a few years back.

19. Sarah and Blaze

They do like similar! He’s a big boy and very handsome! Mitzy is so little, she turned 3 in May and is half the size of her brother’s!

Going to test now, fed the gravy 30 minutes ago exactly!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  20. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

He’s at 222 at +4. Is that better? Should I leave some LC food out or put some in the timed feeder to be available later?

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok he's up but that may just be the high carbs for now but it should hold him until peak is done so leave him some LC food for overnight and off to bed ..... Sweet Dreams! :)

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry I'm getting punchy and forgot to say, you can put it in the feeder for a couple of hours from now.

23. Sarah and Blaze

Okay, thank you for staying up and helping me with these numbers! Putting some LC food in the feeder and heading to bed! We’ll see where he is in the morning with AMPS. Thank you Linda, goodnight!:D

24. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

8/27/2019
    Good morning Linda, hope you slept well! I'm so tired this morning :banghead:
    Blaze's AMPS is 400 today, bummed to see such a high number this morning, do you think it's a bounce from last night?
    Giving Blaze 0.75U in 15 minutes.

25. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes I'm sure there is a bounce in that AMPS. It's up a wee bit but not much. Bounces are frustrating but normal and all you can do is ride it out. At least we know why he's up this AM.
    I'm tired too but then I don't have to go to work so I feel for you. :(

26. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Blaze seems to bounce a lot :confused: do you think the 0.75U is a good dose for him right now, based off of his numbers?

27. MrWorfMen's Mom

Unfortunately because Novolin knocks BG down quickly and sharply, bounces are difficult to control. Sometimes you just have to keep increasing dose until you see better numbers and the bouncing eases off. Last night at 149, Blaze had room for a bit more drop but not much. With some cats, if the bouncing is severe, you have to ease them down. It's an every cat is different thing. Blaze bounces but he doesn't bounce sky high nor does he appear to be holding the bounce long so this weekend, if you can monitor, you could try upping the dose a bit if pre-shots allow. I certainly wouldn't recommend increasing when you can't monitor him closely though because we don't want him dropping below about 100.

28. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you're around I might do the.75 again.

29. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Okay, this Saturday I will try upping his dose when I will be home to monitor him. Would you say increasing to 1U is a good idea for that? Or is a 0.25U increase too much?

Hopefully once we start Lantus, we see better results :oops:

30. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes we usually adjust dose by 0.25u so you could try 1u on the weekend.

31. Sarah and Blaze

@JanetNJ
    I work Monday through Thursday so am not home to monitor him during the day but have been doing 0.75 U for the last two days now, today being the third day 0.75.

32. MrWorfMen's Mom

Leave plenty of food in his feeder for today. We don't want him dropping too low given last night's cycle.

33. JanetNJ

Just leave out extra food. He'll be ok

34. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    Okie dokie, we will try 1U on Saturday and see how that goes! Blaze has a vet appointment this Friday, I have to drop him off between 7 am and 9 am for bloodwork, poor guy hates the vet.

35. Sarah and Blaze

I have the Petsafe feeder set to open at +1.5 and +4, is that good or should I add one more?

Blaze seems to get lower in the evening, I think I read that that’s normal, right?

36. Sarah and Blaze

@JanetNJ

Thanks Janet! I got the Petsafe time feeder recently so I could set it to open at +1.5 and +4 while I’m at work. Just have to hope my two civvies aren’t eating it instead of Blaze!

37. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes the majority of cats do go lower at night so I'm sure Blaze will be fine today. I think you could turn the second snack timing back a bit to +3.5 given Blaze seems to hit nadir early.

38. Sarah and Blaze

39. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

got a +1 test before I left for work and he's at 383. As always, not sure if I will make it home on my lunch so we will see! Have a good day Linda and @JanetNJ
    Talk later!:)

JanetNJ and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  40. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah !! I know u know it but just wanted to say that Linda and Janet are the best of the best and such a blessing to have fighting you and Blaze's corner :bighug: You are doing an awesome job !!

41. Sarah and Blaze

@Beth 73
    Hi Beth!! I know, they so amazing and helpful, they feel like life savers to me. I could not do this without them, and you and all the others that have helped me here. I feel very lucky. And thank you, I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing but with the guidance I have here, I know me and Blaze are moving in the right direction:bighug:

42. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    @JanetNJ

Able to come home on my lunch, got a +6 test and Blaze is at 333. Bummed to see another pink number :arghh:

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

Not unexpected. Blaze isn't use to those lovely blue numbers and he's bounced. Stomp your feet, take a deep breathe and forget it. This too shall pass! ;)

44. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Dang Blaze and his bouncies! Oh well! At least he's feeling good today, snuggled on my lap for a bit and then went to scratch his scratcher and now he's napping.
    Question about the bouncing, this is "normal" until their bodies can get used to being in those lower numbers? I know with Novolin, it's a little harder because it seems to kick in fast and hard with Blaze and not last very long. I hope Blaze gets better with his bounces once we start Lantus.

Another question, about increasing the dose. We increase the dose to get lower numbers, how do we maintain lower numbers? The goal is to find the correct dose where we are getting consistent low but safe numbers, but then how do you know when he isn't needed insulin anymore or maybe not needing as much?

45. MrWorfMen's Mom

Bounces happen not only with numbers that are lower than kitty is use to but also when BG drops abruptly. With Novolin the drop is almost always somewhat abrupt so bouncing tends to often come with the insulin, Lantus on the other hand works in a much gentler fashion. It doesn't pull numbers down sharply but it's great at holding numbers down. Right now, with Novolin, you aim for the lowest safe numbers and try to maintain with food timing for as long as possible each cycle. Because Novolin doesn't tend to last the entire cycle, holding a good surf in good range is more difficult and sometimes not possible.

When numbers improve, if BG drops below what we deem safe levels (and we always build in cushion here) then you reduce the dose. If BG holds in normal numbers on the reduced dose for say a week, then you'd try another reduction. If you want to see a cat go from a dose of 2.5u to nothing on a SS check out Menace's in my signature from July 2018 till Sept. Bare in mind, my girl was not the norm. She has a high dose condition that had us at one time shooting 16u of insulin twice daily and seeing very little if any movement in her BG. Needless to say, when we finally got traction, I wanted to make darn sure it was going to stick so I took her weaning off slowly but steadily. Nothing like swimming in a sea of normal green numbers while still giving insulin. I used Lantus initially but switched to Levemir because of her high dose but it's a very similar insulin and will give you an idea of how you go about getting to that ultimate goal.

Remember though, remission is not a guarantee no matter what you do but switching to Lantus will up the odds.

46. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Thank you Linda, that explains it all so well and makes sense. I appreciate you explaining it. I just want to learn as much as possible and understand as much as I can so I can make sure Blaze is safe and to try to get him stable. That Lantus can’t get here soon enough!!

I know that remission isn’t guaranteed no matter what I do. I just want to get Blaze stable and get to a point that I don’t feel worried all the time.

47. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    I hope Blaze can have a SS like Menace’s some day! So much blue and green!

48. JanetNJ

Bounce from the day before. Don't get too concerned

49. Sarah and Blaze

@JanetNJ
    I’m learning he’s a bouncy boy!

50. Sarah and Blaze

51. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Gave Blaze 0.75U at 6:30pm, he was still hungry after 1 can of FF classic pate so I gave him some Friskie's pate. Not sure if that slowed his drop down so far, but at +1.75, he's at 316. I'm so tired tonight, I'm not sure what time I should test him again but I need to go to bed earlier than last night.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  52. MrWorfMen's Mom

It might have slowed him down a bit but that's OK. Check him again at +2. If he's dropped a lot at +2 (100 points or more), give him a snack and retest. If he's only dropped a little, give him a snack, leave food for overnight in the autofeeder and hit the sack.
    I am turning in early tonight. The late nights have finally caught up with me. :D

53. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Okay sounds like a plan, I will test at +2 in about 10 minutes and see where he's at. The late nights are catching up with me too, I'm not used to staying up past 9-9:30 on work nights:confused:

54. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

We're a little over +2 and Blaze's BG is 259, not too bad of a drop since the last test. I split 1 can of FF into two bowls of the timed feeder, one to be available at +3 and +4 and there is a little Friskie's still out. You think he's okay for the night?

55. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes that sounds good. Tonight he seems to be doing a gentler slide which is good. Now let's you and me hit our pillows! Sweet dreams!

56. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    Thank goodness! He must be able to tell his mama
    is tired tonight! Okay, we are both hitting the hay tonight! Thank you my friend, sweet dreams!

57. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    8/28/2018
    Good morning! Blaze's AMPS is 401. We just can't get out of those red numbers for the AMPS:banghead:
    Giving 0.75U in a bit.
    I have a staff meeting at work today during lunch so I know for sure I won't be home to check on him. Will leave snacks in the timed feeder at +1.5 and +3.5.
    Have a good day, we'll chat later when I get home and take his PMPS:)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  58. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Took a +1 before I left for work abd Blaze went up to 478. What the heck? Could have possibly eaten too much food?

59. JanetNJ

All food makes the numbers go up. He didn't eat too much... He just ate am hour before

60. Sarah and Blaze

@JanetNJ
    Okay thank you! I was afraid he ate too much, if his brother and sister don’t finish their breakfast, he wants to finish theirs. He seemed hungrier than usual this morning.

61. MrWorfMen's Mom

Not unusual for appetite to be up when they are sitting that high...kind of expected. He may have eaten a little more this AM but I wouldn't worry about it.

62. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom m
    Okie dokie! I didn’t want to take food from him
    when he moved on to finish his siblings leftovers, he has some snacks in the timed feeder too but I’m sure that’s more than enough. His siblings probably nibble on the snacks too. I should invest in a camera to see who’s eating the snackso_O

Have a good day! Talk tonight when I get PMPS. As always, thank you for your help!:cat:

Blaze says THANKS AUNT LINDA!

63. MrWorfMen's Mom

You're welcome and scritches back to my little nephew! :D

64. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Blaze’s Friday vet appointment got rescheduled from Friday to tomorrow. I’m dropping him off at 7 am for them to do the blood glucose curve (I haven’t done one yet because I know we will be switching to Lantus eventually). He has to be there all day because I work till 5. Poor guy. I haven’t told the vet that I lowered his dose. She had us start at 2U but I only did that for two days, then we went to 1U, then 0.5U and now 0.75U.

65. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Sarah, Curves at the vets are useless and a waste of money given all the data you have collected up till now. I would just give them a copy of your spreadsheet and let them have a peak but leaving Blaze there all day will result in elevated BG (unless he is one weird kitty who likes being at the vet) and then the vet has erroneous fodder with which to berate you about changing the dose. I'd cancel if I were you.

66. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree, doubly so because you're about to switch insulins anyway. Unless there are other things you want them to check out while he's there.

67. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    @Nan & Amber

That is what I was thinking too, it seems pointless because I’m testing at home AND he will be switching to Lantus hopefully next Friday, if I get it by then. And going to the vet totally stresses him out so I don’t think his numbers would be very accurate anyways. And on top of all that, I’m sure she would try to up his dose and push the prescription food on me again.

I called and told them I wanted to cancel if it was just for a BG curve because I’m going to switch his insulin soon anyways. The vet tech is going to ask if she needed to check anything else while he was going to be there or it it just for a BG curve and then call me back shortly. I’m canceling if it’s just for BG curveo_O

Thank you guys!!

68. Sarah and Blaze

69. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    @JanetNJ
    @Nan & Amber

Blaze's BG at +2.5 is 360, not much of a drop so far. Maybe increasing him to 1U on Saturday when I'm home might be a good idea?

The vet called me because I cancelled the BG curve at the office tomorrow. She told me I need to change his diet (give him prescription food) and not give him snacks throughout the day, she thinks two meals a day is fine, she thinks Blaze should weigh 9-10 pounds (he's 12 pound right now) but when I brought him to the vet, he had lost a little over a pound and was SO SKINNY, I can't imagine him being healthy at 9-10 pounds. She also said me feeding him small snacks is preventing the insulin to work or last long, not that Novolin is known for dropping BG hard and fast and not lasting the full 12 hours :rolleyes: She thinks I'm not allowing the insulin to work but that BG #'s are okay to be in 200-300's and that even if he drops to 90's, he's okay. Ugh, so frustrating to talk to her! But she trusts me to handle his BG testing at home (she doesn't know I'm not currently giving her recommended dose of 2U twice a day).

70. MrWorfMen's Mom

Interesting interaction. I love that she thinks the snacks are preventing the insulin from working and that 2 meals a day are fine. So old school and if she had read the AAHA or ISFM info on feline diabetes best practices she would be much better informed. Sad that all us "civilians" do the reading while the pros don't. Oh and don't get me started on the prescription food. Vets get their nutritional education from the big pet food manufacturers like Hills, Purina and Royal Canin so they usually get brain washed into believing all the "prescription" diets are the "cat's meow" when nothing could be further from the truth. I was looking for an alternative protein food for my girl and one of my vets recommended a food that was about 30% carbs. I asked her about the carbs and she had no idea how to calculate them. I love my vets but I don't trust them for everything. At least however, mine are willing to learn. Hopefully yours is too!

71. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh for crying out loud! Sarah, I hope you know that the information you have received here is not just blowing smoke up your kazoo (sorry if that offends you). I am just shaking my head at the vet and what she believes.

BG over 200 is over the renal threshold, and that's when more glucose is shed in the urine. BG of 200 to 300 is not ok! And I hope you do know that the Rx food is mostly crap and too high in carbs. Plus it's been through experience that the feeding of more frequent small meals does work better. These babies are hungry. If they would just look at the protocols and practices for diabetic humans they would see that many of them are transferable and workable.

Sorry, climbing down off the soapbox, it's been one of those days and I'm a little tired and quite possibly a cranky old woman, and there is nothing worse than a cranky old woman! Hmmmph.

72. MrWorfMen's Mom

Well said Lou! :D You're not cranky....you're smart and enlightened!

73. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

It doesn’t seem like she’s willing to learn, she gave me the name to a specialist if I wanted to see one, but I told her I wanted to try to get him regulated and stable myself first. I did a lot of head nodding and “mmhmmm’s” while on the phone with her. She said I can switch him to Lantus but she doesn’t think I should if the Novolin is working, even though I told her it kicks in too quickly and doesn’t last long enough and isn’t working well enough. She said I shouldn’t worry about his BG dropping too low either, he will be fine and that’s what the insulin is supposed to do :eek: she wants me to try feeding him two meals a day this weekend when I’m home, no snacks o_OI told her I’m starting Lantus next weekend when I can be home to monitor him, that I will continue to take his BG, will do my own BG curve when we are a week or two into Lantus and will continue to feed him the wet food he’s getting.

I appreciate her but she just doesn’t seem like she’s knowledgeable in feline diabetes so I am going to continue doing what I’m doing with the help of you guys :cat:

74. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good, because you will see results and "don't worry about going too low", NUTS to that, does she understand what a hypo is? You stick with this board and I bet you are going to see some very good progress with Blaze. Muah :kiss:

75. Sarah and Blaze

@Idjit's mom
    AMEN LOU! You did not offend me at all so don’t you worry about that ;) I know that she just isn’t well versed in this. I didn’t take a thing that she said seriously. I know Blaze is hungry, I can’t feed him twice a day. There’s no way! Two meals with a couple small snacks is working just fine and eases my mind when I’m at work or asleep. I have no interest in the prescription food she’s trying to sell, it’s not going to happen. His FF and Friskies paté are just fine and he loves his pure bites freeze dried chicken treats.

I know 200-300 are not good numbers, if I stayed on her course, Blaze would never get better! It’s so frustrating. But I know me and Blaze can navigate through this with all your help, we are on the right path and I know with the help of you guys, we will be just fine. I just wanted to share my wonderful conversation with the vet:stop:

76. MrWorfMen's Mom

Most of us have taken exactly the same route. My girl had a high dose condition that my vet didn't think I needed to test for. Told me it was so rare I'd be wasting my money. Well I proved my point...vet was gobsmacked that I figured it out and admitted she didn't have a clue what to do about it. She did however agree to anything I recommended and needed her approval for and kept following up to see how my little monkey was doing. She emailed me for human meter ranges and asked me to call one of her other clients whose cat was hard to regulate. In short we have a mutual respect for one another and a partnership and I think that's reasonable. I don't expect my vet to be an expert in everything anymore than I expect all encompassing expertise from a human GP but I do expect a respectful relationship rather than a dictatorship. Sound like your vet is at least willing to partner to at least some degree so if she is good with other stuff she's a keeper.

77. Sarah and Blaze

@Idjit's mom
    All my worries are about Blaze dropping too low! I don’t know what the heck she’s talking about! I want to avoid hypo events, not invite them in with her tactics!

I’m definitely sticking with this board, I have learned so much in the last two weeks and continue to learn thanks to you amazing people :kiss:

78. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    She seems willing to partner with me to an extent, I just think I need to prove to her that the things I’m doing are working/will work in regards to diet, insulin dose, BG tests, especially once he’s on Lantus. Maybe then she will be more willing to go along with it.

But, we are going to carry on with what we’re doing here:smuggrin:

Idjit's mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  79. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

on another note, Blaze's PMPS was 376, +2.5 was 360 and +3.75 was 340. Seems like a slow night tonight so I will stop testing for the night and see where he's at tomorrow morning at AMPS.

80. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's very slow tonight. Try the 1u on the weekend when you can monitor. Blaze will be fine till then.

81. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

You think he’s okay without a snack tonight?

I’m going to start Saturday morning off with 1U since I can be home to monitor and test him :)
    Hope to see some better numbers this weekend!

82. Sarah and Blaze

I left maybe 4 tablespoons of wet food out that the cats didn’t finish at dinner.

83. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry Sarah. Just seeing this now! A snack may not be needed but I think I'd leave one out as you did, just to be on the safe side.

84. Sarah and Blaze

@MrWorfMen's Mom

I figured he would be lazy without a snack last night but just left out the little bit of food they didn’t finish from dinner