Bleeding + Pic of found jell-o like blood

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LGoddess, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

Hello, I've posted here a few times before about Dollbaby's diabetes. The last time I was here, she was dropping down to the 20s and 30s when she feels best is when she's in the 120s.

So I gave her her insulin this morning and then when I looked over at her bedding area, I found blood everywhere. As you can see from the photo below, the blood on the blanket has a Jell-o like consistency. It even jiggles when I moved the blanket. On other areas, the blood is in bright red droplets or dried dark red (which can also be seen in the photo). I checked her bottom and it looks like there is some dried blood around her genitals, not her anus.

Her blood sugar was at 353 this morning and was 453 last night. She's been worked up to 2 units/twice a day over the course of the past month. Her ears are bright red, but I don't want to go sticking the thermometer in her right now. Otherwise, she seems to be doing well. She slept next to me during the night (not bleeding on my bed!) and hopped up on the desk next to me.

So, what's up? The vet couldn't determine the cause of blood in her urine the last two times she went in for it and she only does it every couple of months. I'm worried enough that I'm staying home from work to keep an eye on her...

Attached Files:

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a vet visit is in order. That doesnt sound like normal bloody urine..in any case its way too much for comfort. Is she spayed?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have seen similar "gel" from my Patches. It was from the bladder. Patches was urinating small spots of bloody urine so I brought her to the vet. It was years ago and either when I was at the vet Patches urinated the stuff out or the vet expressed her bladder. There was no bacteria in the bloody urine so the DX was sterile cystitis. I went home went home with pain meds and gave subQ fluids at home. It went away in a day or two. It has happened twice since then and I just treaded Patches myself and it went away. It seemed to be related to right after my Smokey attached Patches.

4. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

She was spayed 13 years ago.

She seems to be doing okay, but all that blood is frightening. The last couple times the vet checked her, they said they didn't find anything in her urine either (like an infection), so I'm guessing that maybe this is just something new she's picked up...

5. Larry and Kitties

Blood in the urine, especially only red blood cells, is not a good indicator of an infection. Sterile cystitis is inflammation, sometime bloody, with no infection.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If it is cystitis your cat NEEDS pain meds. For more info see Dr Lisa's page on urinary health at www.catinfo.org

7. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

Thanks. Dollbaby and her "sisters" have been on a wet-food only diet for the past month, so I know she's not getting any harmful dry food in her system. I did have some pain medicine from the vet that was for her mouth after her teeth were cut out last year. I ended up not using the medicine-filled syringes on her because she panicked and freaked out tons. It seemed to bother her more for me to try and force medicine down her then any pain she might have been in (I didn't take any pain meds after I had my wisdoms cut out either because I didn't need it). She was chowing down from the moment I got her home, so I don't think she was in particularly much pain from that...

/side story

8. Larry and Kitties

Do you know what the pain medication is? If it is clear it is probably Buprenex, which is good. If it is cloudy it could be Metacam which causes kidney problems in some cats and it is not approved in the UA for oral use in cats.

9. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

Nah, I don't remember. I decided it was dangerous to keep around and threw it out about a month ago (I had a troubled roommate and...well, no need to tempt her with ways to potentially harm herself). I believe it was clear fluid.

She's been sleeping all day and eating as usual, so I guess she's okay. >_>

10. Jen & Squeak

Cats can hide pain so I would suggest the pain meds just in case....I'm not big into meds but after reading so many of Dr Lisa's posts I would listen to her...

11. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

I'm assuming there is no way to buy OTC pain medicine esp. for cats and give her tiny doses?

12. Larry and Kitties

Do you have any human Tramadol? It can be safely used in felines but is a prescription drug for both humans and animals.

13. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

Nope. I only have OTC medicines since I haven't been to the doctor in years (yay, lack of insurance).

14. Jen & Squeak

THen no, sorry. Your vet should be able to sell you buprenex in a small amount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.