Blending into the wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gracie85, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

When we finally get both cats off dry food and entirely onto canned, we are going to be using 6-8 cans of FF a day (10 lb cat plus what should be a nearly 14 pound cat who is hyperthyroid). In the interest of our budget, the goodwill of the Fedex man, and the environment (42-56 little cans per week), I am looking for other options for feeding them. Cooking from scratch is not an option in our house.

For the dogs, we add some of this canned stuff on top of their kibble. https://www.chewy.com/wellness-95-chicken-grain-free-canned/dp/34377
    upload_2018-10-26_14-25-17.png
    upload_2018-10-26_14-26-31.png

It is basically pure meat, with a touch of gummy stuff to hold it together. So, could we blend some of this with the FF, or with another canned food, to up the protein and the amount of each meal, but still let them get the added vitamins and stuff in canned cat food? Wouldn't blending this in with a canned cat food also then cut the carbohydrate amount, as this is just chicken? We also use the turkey kind for the dogs. (Found the beef too disgusting, and the salmon very irregular in texture and quality.)

(and, when they say "chicken" in the ingredients, do they mean it could be the whole chicken tossed into a grinder, or are they just talking about chicken meat? Although I'm not sure I actually want to know...)

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

You would need to contact the manufacturer and ask for the as fed values of this food so that you can check the actual carbohidrates and protein that it contains ( sometimes the gummy stuff is very high in carbohidrates) also you should consider that cats need taurine added to their food and dogs usually don't, so dog food usually does not contain added taurine, you will have to check this with the manufacturer also and you may need to add some taurine to the food (considering the part you are actually giving of cat food ), the lack of it can actually cause heart and other problems in cats

Usually feeding dog food to cats is not a good idea but with some research you may be able to.

Also usually chicken unless stated otherwise (clearly indicating chicken meat ) includes the whole chicken

3. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

The "gummy stuff" is just carrageenan and cassia gum, which I see listed in the ingredients in cat foods like Friskies pate.
    As a 'dog food' it's not stated to be a "dog food" as such, it's more of a topper or addition, being just meat product, no added vitamins, etc. Is why I was wondering if it would be a possible mix-in with canned food, to up the protein and put some better quality meat into a less-expensive cat food, which would contain all the vitamins and taurine and such.

4. Rardito

Rardito Member

You could use Friskies pate instead of Fancy Feast, the cans come in bigger sizes and are cheaper than FF.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on the proportions you use, if it is going to be just a topper it shouldn'd affect but if is going to be like half and half then they would only be getting half of the vitamins, and as I mentioned the lack of taurine is probably the one that could affect them the most

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.