Blood glucose testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Is testing an hour before shot too early? I am still new and want to get a test over with before shot to know if it's safe. But I dont know if an hour is too early?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can test anytime…..it's all good information to have, but with Lantus, what we recommend is that you Test/Feed/Shoot….all within about 5-10 minutes

You take food up for the 2 hours before shot times.....then you Test (to make sure they're high enough for insulin at all), Feed (to make sure they're at least willing to eat and not sick or totally refusing) and Shoot.

With Lantus, the shot doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours after it's given, so as long as your cat isn't sick and/or totally refusing to eat, you have that time to get a normal sized meal into them.

3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Ok - thank you. I just tested it saif 273 but he ate a little food before. I will give him his shot on time. Guess i was just trying to test before vet closed in case I need to call. I am still not used to this. At first I thought the needle was hard to do but now its the blood glucose test. His ears are white and I can see where I poke him. I feel like Im torturing my poor cat.

4. Chris & China (GA)

There are very few pain receptors in the edges of the ears....what most cats object to is that you're fooling with their ears, not any pain.

Luckily though, with a little routine and some yummy treats, most will learn to actually love testing time!!

Make sure you put a little pressure on the ear after you're done getting your sample to help stop any bruising. A little dab of Neosporin with pain relief ointment (not cream) can really help heal those ears too!

5. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you I will try neosporin. However I do have another kitty that likes to groom his head a lot- would it hurt her if licked?

6. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I also think ive hit the vein a few times because of him moving and my eyesight is not the best. Need some glasses-but he is so good at moving. He will be fine and still all of a sudden then he moves just a little bit right as Im about to stick him. I think he is also caught on to the meter because that first beep makes his eyes wide and starts trying to get away from me.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Just a very tiny film is more than enough. It doesn't need to be a "glob". I can just barely touch the end of the tube with my finger and rub it in good.

Laura bb likes this.
  8. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Check your manual for your meter. It should be possible to turn off all beeps. That's what I've done on my meter and I can get all the info I need by looking at the meter window. No need to spook the kitty with unnecessary beeps. :D

Laura bb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.