Blood glucose testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

I have another question regarding blood sugar testing. Most of the blood curve tests were done at the vet's office. The cost was becoming excessively high. And poor Rupie hated the car trip and the vet's office. He come home almost cripple and hoarse from crying all day. So for the good of all, my daughter asked to do these tests at home.

The vet tech showed her how to do it using a small needle. I think she pokes the ear up to three times. I also believe she might use a flash light to find the best area. We have a Alphatrak glucose monitor and the pen? but my daughter does not like using it. She finds the lancet too small to produce much of a droplet of blood. Fur of course doesn't help either.

To date I have not given any insulin shots or B12 shots. But know for the cat's sake and my daughter's, I need to learn how to do this. She hates doing blood sugar tests. So my question...is the needle method as she was shown by the vet tech easier, or using the pen/lancet just as effective/easy. I have tested my own blood sugar a number of times with a pen/lancet but doing it on a cat quite different. Always afraid of causing pain. We are fortunate that our Roops is such a lovely boy, and is so docile. Not a hisser or biter. And very forgiving.

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I think almost everyone uses a lancet not a needle I would think is easier to use, and less expensive than buying needles, in my case I find that hand helding the lancet instead of using the the pen is easier because that way I can see where I'm poking and my cats just hate the clicking of the pen but that is probably a matter of preference for both you and Roops

When you start is usually recommended to use a 28 gauge lancet because is thicker and that makes it easier to get a good drop, as time passes and getting blood gets easier you can use a smaller lancet (30-31)

Doing the curves at home is not only less expensive but also more accurate since the cat doesn't get stressed (stress can significantly raise blood glucose levels) and is very very very important that once you start giving insulin you test before each shoot to be sure is safe to give insulin since for a cat to have very low blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia) is very dangerous so you do not want to give insulin if he's too low

Amina&M'row likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

With the lancets you can either use the lancet pen or free hand. I never used the pen because I had better control when using only lancet.

Amina&M'row likes this.
  4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

another thing, when you use the lancet, you usually have to prick (or poke) only once, if you do this in the correct place, several good illustrations here on the board, look for a post showing the Sweet Spot, since you won't be reusing the lancet, the pricking part will be sharp and clean, and it's far easier to hold, especially if you free hand it (use it without the lancing pen/device), fits nicely between thumb and forefinger, no need to wait for any mechanism

first few times you may have to prick more than once, but often one prick will do it, then let the cat nibble on treat for a few seconds, when you look back to cat, there's a nice blood drop welling up

many find that warming the ear (several methods) makes it even easier -- I have a cat who hates anything approaching his ears so we haven''t done that yet, he's finally getting used to the chirp that my meter makes when it's ready to apply strip to droplet

good luck, I'm still new here, still learning things, setting up a routine so neither cat nor I feel stressed

Amina&M'row likes this.
  5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Here are some good tips:)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I have adopted the free hand method without the pen, with the pen I personally found it hard to be accurate in my aim for the sweet spot, and the sound of the pen releasing the lancet didn't only scared Mowgli - it startled me!

It is so intimidating at first but I promise practice makes perfect. Mowgli and I just started this journey in March and already taking his blood is a quick little nothing for me, he is like Roops, very docile and compliant (especially when he knows food is coming). I echo the use of 28 gauge lancets, and state that my preference is to use a freehand method with the lancet rather than using the pen - just for better control. I've made a lot of mistakes but it seems like Mowgli doesn't even notice...bless him ;)

CandyH & Catcat and Roops like this.
  7. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

I am happy to see everyone's giving the same advice; I learned from the forum to do it this way, and all's well. Sometimes I poke twice with the lancet, spots close together, really fast. Especially if I get a feeling the blood will come out slowly.

Roops likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

A warmed ear also tends to give blood much easier than a cooler one. Lots of members use a rice sock - I think it's a tablespoon or two of uncooked rice in a little sock warmed in the microwave for 10-30 seconds (depending on your microwave power) and hold it on the inside of the ear for a few seconds to warm the ear up. My boy tends to have cold ears in the winter so I warm my hands up and hold on his poking ear for a little bit and give him ear rubs :smuggrin:. And just to sound repetitive, we also free poke with the lancet. So, just using the lancet device to hold the lancet but not using the click function ;).

@JanetNJ has a video of her testing CC's BG on the ear with the free poke method :cat:.

Home testing is the best tool you will have for Roops, your sanity, and your wallet :D. The majority of us use a Spreadsheet to track our fur baby's BG numbers. Setting up your Signature will be helpful too as you continue to post :).

9. Suke&Huntley

Suke&Huntley New Member

We’ve been using the Freestyle Libre since Monday, but today it petered out. Now back to ear poking I’ve only used the lancing device so far (we’ve been at this since the beginning of April) and I agree that when I find that spot to prick, my aim with the device isn’t very good. I’m a little nervous to try pricking freehand. I have the lancets for the device. It’s just a matter of working up the courage to do it. I might find that it works better and I can see where I want it to go and my aim will improve. Wish me luck!

Also, while I’m here, I’ve got a question. We use the basaglar and I give 1/2 unit after he eats in the morning. This AM his BG was 175, and as per the vet, I gave him the 1/2 unit. BIG MISTAKE!! I got a reading of 49 (with the CGM) and had to give the poor boy some more food. I’m wondering at what number do most people here not give the insulin? The vet said I should only not give it if his numbers were below 80. Help!

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

@Suke&Huntley , it would be a good idea to start your own thread with this question, as it might not get noticed as quickly appended to Roops' thread. Please create the signature and set up the spreadsheet so advising members can see Huntley's info, and the insulin and testing data you have accumulated. We want you to be noticed and get these important questions answered, for Huntley's safety.
    You can also read the information about the glargine types of insulins, like Basaglar in the Lantus forum HERE. If you post on that forum the experienced users can advise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.