Blood in stool - diabetes in remission

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mandy and Bradley, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy and Bradley

Mandy and Bradley Member

Hi guys,

I just posted a few days ago that my kitty, Bradley, was recently in remission. He's been doing great but today I noticed some blood in his stool (fresh blood) and a piece of grass in it. (He must have gotten the grass from this fake plant I have.) I have two other cats so I can't be 100% sure it was his, but by the way it was on the rug (the other two never do that and always go in the pan), I think it was his.

Anyway, could it be the Fancy Feast? He was on the better quality food before I switched him over to FF back in April. Could it be the byproducts in it? I was worried about the FF because I know it has a lot of that stuff in it, but he has been doing great sugar-wise on it. He has become diabetic-free on it so I really hope that's not it. Any ideas? Do I just wait and see if it happens again? He seems fine and is eating normally and everything. He doesn't seem sick.

2. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I would post this on health.

3. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

I don't know but if he ate grass and other parts of a fake plant, couldn't that cause irritation when he passed it?

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

As I understand it, fresh blood is often from straining. If it's a one-time thing I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are seeing normal stools. If it is a regular thing and/or you are seeing diarrhea, I'd take a sample to the vets. I have had cats have some blood like that before, and it was either from a nasty hairball on its way out, or from mild IBD (that looked more like mucus-y stuff with blood in it).

5. wombat88

wombat88 Member

I had one cat once that ate a pound of butter and had nasty bloody diarrhea for weeks. :roll: Cats can get blood in stools from irritation or from straining. One of my current cats has IBD, so she can get loose stools with blood if that is kicking up because of eating something that doesn't agree with her. The blood you see could be from irritation/inflammation or something else. A small amount of blood once shouldn't be cause for alarm I'd think, but if it continues you should definitely take your cat to the vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.