Blood in urine after being on antibiotics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bella & Liz, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bella & Liz

Bella & Liz Member

Hello,
    My cat was diagnosed with a UTI on Saturday (second one in about a month) and was put on a longer course of antibiotics to try and make sure we get rid of all the infection this time. She continues to infrequently use the litter box and instead pees on puppy pads I have set up around the house at places she frequents. Her urine continues to be pinkish. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with how long it might be okay for urine to be kind of bloody while being treated for a UTI, she stilll has about a week and a half worth of antibiotics to go, and I have just started her on cranberry supplements.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is possible Bella may have FLUTD not a UTI. Idiopathic cystitis causes blood in the urine, peeing outside the LB, frequent small PUs, pain. Antibiotics don't help.
    Google FLUTD for more details.

4. Bella & Liz

Bella & Liz Member

FOr her last UTI about a month ago they did a culture and it came back as ecoli, for this one it was diagnosed at the emergency vet. I believe they just looked at a urine sample under a microscope and said it was once again long chains of e.coli. They prescribed Bella with 2 weeks worth of baytril, as last time she only got one week. They think the bacteria might have lingered in the lining of her bladder, which is why it seemed to come back so soon, and did not show up on the culture to check if she was over the infection. I will google FLUTD, thanks

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  5. Bella & Liz

Bella & Liz Member

They did do an entire CDC on her blood last month as well, they said she shows signs of some kidney damage as well as high blood pressure, which she was given amlodipine for, however they said her phosphorus was within a normal range. She also has IBD and does not tolerate the prescription food so we decided to just keep her on friskies to keep her happy/comfortable for as long as possible.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.