Blood in Urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sunshine and BA, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

BA has blood tinged urine...and is testing 2++ blood on dipstick. I'm going to give her a little time to make more urine, settle from being fed and getting her insulin then take her to see the vet. Are there any antibotics for cystitis that have a good reputation for diabetic kitties? Any to avoid? She vomits from clydamicycan (sp?) and probably will do best with injectable antibotics if an option.

Thanks,
    Sunshine

~ Edited to remove the 911 icon after vet visit by Jill & Alex.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re blood cells in urine very frequently do NOT indicate a urinary tract infection. Your vet should obtain a sterile urine same and do a urine analysis (includes looking at sediment under a microscope). A culture and sensitivity of a urine sample might also be in order.

There is a injectable antibiotic that is good for about two weeks but there are some reservations on routinely using it. Clavamox is often used. However, if there really is not an infection, an antibiotic is not necessary.

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Sunshine

Your kitty needs to have a urine CULTURE done, not just a urinalysis, to see if she has an infection. Blood in the urine is not always the result of infection. To get a urine culture, the vet will need to stick a needle directly into the bladder. Please don't let them put her on antibiotics unless the urine culture proves an infection.

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I am a vet tech and blood in urine can mean so many things I would take the kitty to the vet for this one to see whats going on they may put your cat on a 7-10 treatment of clavamox to clear up a potential infection

5. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Thanks Jess & Earl and Larry and Kitties.

BA had a UA and miscroscopic exam showing rods, white blood cells and blood from the urine I took in and from a cystocentesis. A culture and sensitivity test was done but the result won't be back before Tuesday. They started her on Clavamox and will alter if necessary with the C & S results return. I was fairly certain she had an infection as she has never had a problem with cystitis. I suspect the glucose in the urine create a good enviroment for bacteria in her urinary tract. I couldn't remember the antibotic (Baytril)sometimes used with cats for urinary infection that can cause blindness. I was impressed the vet used an ultrasound to guide the needle for the cystocentesis to increase safety. Hopefully, she feel better soon. UTI's are very uncomfortable.

Sunshine

6. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Thanks,
    We just got back from the vet. She now on Clavamox 5 days until C & S results return. I'm a little worried about the Clavamox upsetting her stomach with her chronic pancreatitis. I've had her on Cereina since last Saturday when a vomiting episode started just as we were starting insulin. I hope this will cover any GI issues with the antibotic.

Again, thanks for your response.

Sunshine

7. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes Baytril would have been drug of choice for my vets as well but with diabetes being part of the picture my vets use clavamox on diabetic cats just because of what you stated with the eye danger baytril is a very safe drug used at proper dose but Do Lou had a UR right after he was diagnosed and was also put on clavamox for the same reason but Do Lou has since lost some of his eyesight due to hypertension we think anyway unless your culture were to come bk showing that its not sensitive to clavamox then this drug should take care of your baby

8. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Thanks Lisa, I am hoping kitties are like humans and feel relief after the first dose of antibotics with a UTI. I just have to hope it doesn't play havoc on her GI system. She is very fragile with chronic pancreatitis, advanced age and even though her BG have not been over 290, she has had the classical symptoms of diabetes and lost 10 oz and is a small kitty. Yesterday when I weighed her, it was the first time she had not lost weight. I wish *owie* kisses worked on kitties!!!! BA is the shine in my sun!!!!!!

Sunshine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.