Blood Ketone Meter vs Ketostix

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by albertresidence, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albertresidence

albertresidence Member

Knowing that I have to check Edith periodically for Ketones, I'm wondering if I should buy a Blood Ketone Meter instead of using the urine sticks. I already purchases the Ketostix at Walmart but my problem is catching her tinkle when I'm not home all day. I read about the different options of filling the litter box with non absorbent substrate, Aquarium gravel i.e (already bought some, washed it and dried it, ready to go) But - then I read that the urine collected for testing should be as fresh as possible? Well, I wouldn't know when she tinkled if I'm not at home. So, my novice thinking about this situation is to test her blood for Ketones? If this is a good idea, what meters would you recommend? There are multiple out there.

Jennifer R. and Matt & Maus like this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Any blood ketone meter will work...the strips are high so get the one you can most easily afford. The NovaMax is a popular one here.

Ketones do show up in the blood long before they show in the urine, so blood ketone testing is the "gold standard" for testing

Jennifer R. and albertresidence like this.
  3. albertresidence

albertresidence Member

Thank you @Chris & China (GA), I will definitely purchase a Blood Ketone Meter, it is just easier for me, than trying to catch her tinkle and at the same time trying to keep Edith safe. I saw that the Ketone test strips are quite pricey but at least I don't have to test her everyday? I found this Blood Ketone Monitor on Amazon called KetoSens. The Ketone Test Strips come in a box of 50 strips + 50 Lancets for $42.99 (to me the Lancets are just a bonus) The Test Strips for the NovaMax are $19.22 for a box of 10.
    https://www.amazon.com/KetoSens-Blo...KVF4Z5ZC9PB&psc=1&refRID=MEPKN6Z9ZKVF4Z5ZC9PB

https://www.amazon.com/KetoSens-Mon...WHHP40MW0EG&psc=1&refRID=9KMAFE5AKWHHP40MW0EG

What do you think?

4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

We ended up getting this one for Billy. Not saying it's any better than The KetoSens, we just picked it because it was a little cheaper. The test strips on both run about the same, but you can get a sheet of 25 instead of buying 50 at a time. So far, it worked great, except it took us 3 strips to get a good reading and no error. The strips need a much bigger blood drop than the glucose strips we use with our ReliOn meter, so be prepared for that. We got the meter because we have a stubborn cat that refuses to let us lurk around when he's peeing, and holds his pee if we do anything different to the litter box. It was just way easier.

albertresidence likes this.
  5. albertresidence

albertresidence Member

Juls and Billy likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Juls and Billy

Keep wanting to send you a PM (Conversations) to thank you for all your help. But, you have blocked that ability in your user profile. We understand if you truly do not want any Conversations with members, so it's fine if that is how you meant to set things up.

7. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Oops. Didn't even know it was blocked! I'll try to get it sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.