Blood Sugar Higher After Insulin Started

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alex1313, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1313

Alex1313 Member

My cat Henrietta was started on Prozinc early this month. Her BG before starting insulin was running just under 300. After working up to one unit of Prozinc, her BG initially dropped to around 140 pre shot the first week. The vet didn't want me to worry about getting a curve or testing more frequently until Henrietta had been on this dose a week. Shortly after starting that dose however, Henrietta developed a severe oral abscess (maxillary) from a root tip remaining from an oral surgery she'd had a few months prior to discovering she was diabetic and starting insulin. She was then started on clindamycin and had a second oral surgery to correct the issue that same week. That was ten days ago. In the mean time her BG has shot up into the 360-390 range pre shot and nadir is around 230. She's also gone back to peeing excessively and being dehydrated. The abscess has been treated and infection appears resolved so it's doubtful that is why her BG remains so high, right? Could it be the clindamycin? I'm very worried that she was just over the borderline for needing insulin and is now worse after starting treatment. I read the ProZinc sticky, is this possible the bounce that happens? If anyone has ideas about why she would be worse after treatment for infection and insulin started, please give me your input. I want to do right by this cat and make sure she is ok. Thanks

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi there! If you could set up a spreadsheet and input whatever data you have, we will be able to take a look and give you some ideas about what might be happening and next steps: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

If there is still infection or inflammation, the numbers can stay elevated. Or it could be that the original infection has just messed things up for awhile. Once you get some data into the spreadsheet and share it with us we can hopefully help you figure out what to do from here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.