blood sugar low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Monks, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monks

Monks New Member

hi all, as mentioned a few weeks ago, my cat Monkey was diagosed with diabetes. high blood sugar 25. Vet had insulin at 3 then went on Saturday to check blood was 24 so he had me up the insulin to 4. She has been eating chicken, giblets, liver, since Saturday as does not like the wet cat food. so all good high protein. today went to get blood sugar checked at is 2.9 (low). Vet said probably because insulin too high. so i now have to down insulin to 3. I am very confused and frustrated. how do i get more carbs in her ( at least a little ) so her sugar is at a normal rate. I will start this evening at 3 as he suggested but any suggestions for a stressed frustrated mom.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Monkey's mom, I sure understand that you are confused and frustrated. It would be very helpful if you would create a signature so that we have Monkey's pertinent info whenever you post. Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Tell us what kind of BG meter you are using so that we can tell you the "take action" number for low blood sugar. If you are using a human meter, the number is 50, and you would start treatment for a hypo.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/jojo-and-bunnys-hypo-tool-box.2354/

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You also should get a spreadsheet started so that you can record date, time and dose of insulin injections, as well as the BG tests. This spreadsheet is linked to your signature and provides the info to the members you are asking for advice and help. If you have trouble or are unable to set it up, there are members here who can help.
    SPREADSHEET
    I noted that you say that Monkey doesn't like canned food, and you have been feeding high protein meats and organs. But Monkey also needs certain nutritional supplements not provide in just meats, like taurine, for optimal health. You can read about that at www.catinfo.org. Or, possibly there is a brand or two that he might like. If you are in the UK:
    UK INFO FOR DIABETIC CATS: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/uk-info-for-diabetic-cats-food-insulin-and-other-supplies.137376/

4. Monks

Monks New Member

im not taking the blood tests..going to the vet at this point. two tests so far. and have recorded.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What insulin?
    When were the vet BG tests taken in relation to when you injected the insulin?
    Vet stress can artificially raise BG by 8 points or more so the first two tests may have been artificially high.
    That is not a balanced diet and does not included all the nutrients a cat needs.
    What canned foods have you tried?

6. JeanW

JeanW Member

Home testing will help you and Monkey IMMENSELY and will save you a lot of money. It is the best way to know what's going on with your cat's blood glucose levels.

7. Monks

Monks New Member

so good news Monkeys blood sugar is 3.3 and tomorrow go for last test hopefully then off insulin..she is NOW eating the DM wet food..halleluia!but wondering if there are other options for food budget wise. i have two cats and they are both eating the same food which is good but $$ ..or if can get this DM food cheaper.

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hooray for Monkey!!!!!

For food: yes, there are definitely cheaper options! At the top of this forum is a link to a spreadsheet of commercial foods w/carb percentages. Any wet food with less than 10% carbs will work-- a lot of us feed Fancy Feast or Friskies pates, which would be a big $$$ savings from the DM. One caution is that some of the commercial foods (including Fancy Feast) are high in phosphorous, so if any of your cats have or are on a path to developing kidney problems, you'll want to stay away from them (the phosphorous content is also listed in the spreadsheet).

JeanW likes this.
  9. JeanW

JeanW Member

What scale are you using when you say his blood sugar is 3.3?

10. JeanW

JeanW Member

I didn't know this earlier this year when I was feeding Pretty Girl Fancy Feast . . but it maybe explains why she didn't do well on it. I've since moved on to better food but wish I would have known that then. Thanks for sharing for others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.