blood sugars decreasing

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by bagla555, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagla555

bagla555 New Member

Hi all!
    Ringo [age8] has been diagnosed as diabetic now almost 3 months. He first started on nph insulin, but the last month has been switched to lantus. Started @ 3U twice a day and with smalll increases depending on his sugars, seemed to level off @ 5 1/2U twice a day for blood sugars in the low to mid 100's. The past week the sugars have been running below 100 and i have been gradually decreasing his insulin. Went down to 4U 2 days ago. At +9 last night he was 56 and this am @+3 1/2 he was 66. Not too comfortable with these numbers as I will not be home to check him the next couple days or give him snacks for these numbers. He has been eating 1/4 cup kitten chow twice a day without problem. Waiting for my vet to call me. Do you folks think we may be starting a honeymoon period this quick? Am I handling the slow decreases of insulin in the right manner?
    Thank you for any info you can send my way! Barb G.

2. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Sounds like you are right on the ball with this. Some cats have been known to go OTJ rather quickly, while others stay on for life. Hopefully your situation is one of soon to be OTJ! You might want to ask in lantus land exactly how you should be dealing with these low numbers. I'm not sure if it would be recommended to start over at 1u bid and increase or to continue to decrease until you find the perfect dosage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.