Blood sugars stable now cat has diarrhea!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rocky1710, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Help! Melanie here with Rocky. For the past 3 days his blood sugars have been normal since switching him over to a wet food diet (wellness core). He DOES have IBD and his bowels are not doing well on this new food. I can't win here! His BG is stabilized but now he has diarrhea! I talked with my vet and she prescribed him the Royal Canin select protein (rabbit and pea). This food is sooo expensive! Will it really make a difference? He cannot go in steroids as he does very poorly on them. I just don't know how much longer I can do this! I spent all morning cleaning up my cats diarrhea! I have 3 small kids on top of all of this. I'm so stressed this morning! What else can I do?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Whether or not the food will help will probably depend on what causes IBD flare ups for Rocky. For my cat, it’s any type of poultry or beef. One issue with that food is that if it’s the wet version, it’s 15% carbs which may impact his BG. However, if you find he’s doing well on it and there’s not another alternative that works for him, that may be a compromise you need to make.

I’m not sure where you are located, but for my cat Natures Instinct rabbit has worked well for her IBD and is low carb. It is also very expensive, but it helps :rolleyes: If you are not already doing so, be sure to transition foods slowly over the course of a week. That can help reduce upset stomach and diarrhea for kitties with sensitive stomachs

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Thank you! Yes, I slowly introduced the wet food over the past 2 weeks. It seems like the diarrhea just became so much worse last night. I'll look into that food as well. Off to Walmart to buy more chuck pads! Haha.

Deb & Wink and Sarah&Soph like this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this can cause issues with IBD, but canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, can help with diarrhea. It also works for constipation.

Deb & Wink and Rocky1710 like this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is a wonderful website on raw feeding for IBD cats. Even if you do not switch to a raw food diet, the section on meds and supplements is very helpful for some of the common problems for kitties with this condition. I swear by a probiotic, S. boulardii, for getting diarrhea under control. I use ReNew but others have used Florastor. Both are available on Amazon.

You may also want to try novel proteins. My IBD kitty was raised on both chicken and turkey. He now gets pork, lamb, and venison.

6. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Sienne and Gabby: are you familiar with the Stella and Chewy brand freeze dried raw food (the rabbit ingredients)? I looked up the carb content and according to Chewy they make up 1% when the food is wet before serving it. My vet gave me a prescription for the Royal Canin wet food but am looking at other brands as well. Anyone familiar with the Hound and Gatos brand? I just bought a box of the florastor probiotic for his diarrhea. If this doesn't clear up soon I'm not sure what else to do for him! Thank you!

7. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

According to Dr. Lisa’s food chart, most of the Hounds and Gatos food are fine carb wise, although a bit fatty. Sometimes with IBD, the biggest issue is finding out if there’s a specific protein that causes issues for your cat. For mine, it’s all poultry and beef. Options for her are the Instinct rabbit I mentioned earlier, as well as their venison flavor. Ziwipeak has some options as well, as does Koha. If your cat can eat turkey or duck, there are a few more options. Basically, lots of reading ingredients :rolleyes:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Thank you. Are there any tests available to determine what the sensitivity may be? I feel like by the time I switch foods so many times it may be too late for him!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

how do you feed them the S Boulardii? Do you mix it with the food? Do they not mind the taste or is it tasteless? Sorry for all the questions lol but I’m thinking of putting Minnie on it. Although sometimes I feel her diarrhea is less that and more her sitting on the stool because she’s still dealing with a degree of neuropathy. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I've mixed it in my kitties food. I believe it's tasteless. (I've never tasted it but I've taken a capsule when nature called.) I would start with 1/4 of a capsule twice a day and increase (1/3 and then 1/2 capsule twice a day) if necessary.

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thank you, I’ll give it a shot!! This am she had poop and litter stuck to her butt the poor thing. She’s still sitting on it because the neuropathy is not completely gone. This may help her stool get harder so it’s not as messy. I switched her litter to Okocat for long haired cats because before she was dragging the litter everywhere and the little grains got stuck to her back legs.

Thanks!!

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I have longhair cats, as well. FWIW, I found that the "light" weight clumping litter was a huge problem with the litter getting stuck to my guys. When I went back to the heavier weight variety and didn't have the same problem.

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

This is an amazing website btw, thanks!!! How long have you fed them raw food? Any thoughts on the raw foods in the market like Smallbatch? I live in California and it’s family owned and sold here only because of obvious issues with shipping raw food. I had Minnie on it for a few months. Bobo wouldn’t eat it but she loved it. but she gained weight on it and that’s when she became diabetic. The vet had me put her back on canned food and I haven’t tried raw again but I do still believe canned is not the best for them.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Exactly, the light weight was a nightmare. Minnie is not long haired but I read up about it online and got the brand people suggested. What kind do you use?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I know Stella and there’s another brand that’s very good too Sojo’s, do you know it? I tried both but my cats wouldn’t eat it. I really wanted them to like it but I tried mixing it with water and even raw goats milk but no go :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

How is he doing? Did the diarrhea clear up? I’m sorry if it’s been mentioned already but have you considered metronidazole? It’s an antibiotic and it’s not meant for long term, but it would regulate him for the time being and give you time to figure out the diet and next steps. I was out of my mind too and before the probiotics and everything else, the vet put her on it for 2 weeks and it did work. I keep it as a last resort if the diarrhea comes back and usually 2-3 days on it clears it up again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Rocky1710

Melanie and Rocky.

Did you have any questions for us? Thread got "hijacked" but there may be some useful information for you here also.

Just wanted to see if you needed/wanted any information for yourself and your cat, Rocky.

19. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

There is a test, but it is quite pricey and I have not done it so I can’t speak to the accuracy (although I have seen it recommended and it does seem to have good reviews)

https://nutriscan.org/

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to just eliminate all potential proteins that cause intolerances and then work from there. Common ones for cats are chicken, beef, and fish. I started by just eliminating all poultry as well as beef since I knew it made her sick too, and then from an incident with a tiny piece of turkey lunch meat I found out my cat is also intolerant to turkey, so I’ve stuck with no other poultry.

Deb & Wink and Rocky1710 like this.
  20. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Just an update on Rocky: I switched him over to the stella and chewy's absolutely rabbit freeze dried raw food. This is my last attempt as I know he doesn't feel well at all. He is eating the food but this morning he only had a few bites. He still has loose stools and isn't even making an attempt to use his litter pan now. When is it time?? He hasn't been right for months and honestly I just think he's tired of all of this. As much as I love my cat I also cant clean up cat diarrhea forever either! I know this isn't good for the both of us. How many days will it take to see a change from the new food?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Deb & Wink

Is he on something like metronidazole for the diarrhea? Vet prescription needed. I had to use that with Wink a couple of times, to treat his diarrhea.

Can't tell you how long the food will take to make a difference. Food can take 3 days to travel through the digestive system. So the old food will take time to clear Rocky's system. Then you see about the new food.

22. Deb & Wink

23. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Thank you! Good to know about the antibiotic. He was on that before. I will ask my vet. This is only day 2 of being exclusively on the new food. I made a gradual switch. Maybe I should give him another day or two?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Deb & Wink

Yes, the metronidazole takes about a week to see improvement in the diarrhea. Get some if you don't already have some.

Even with a gradual change in food, a cat's digestive system can show some upset for a week or so.

I had a non-diabetic IBD cat. Found with "experimenting" with food that her trigger was any kind of grain, rice especially. My vet had "prescribed" the Hill's ZD food, major ingredient in that was chicken and rice. Tried some of the LID (limited ingredient diet) foods and the "novel" protein foods.

I had to keep her in a spare bathroom at night, with 3 litter boxes. Still had to clean diarrhea off the floor in the morning. Poor Libby.

26. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

In many cases, IBD can be very treatable but it is not going to be an instant fix. It can take time to find a food that agrees with his system and for the GI symptoms to resolve. It might be worth trying the antibiotic as well as the S. boulardii that Sienne mentioned earlier.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know you and your cat the best. But I can say that I remember exactly how you’re feeling because I felt the same way when my cat was at her worse before her IBD was controlled. I am glad that I waited just a little longer because she did end up finally having a break through and getting better, but that’s just my experience, not all situations are the same :bighug:

27. Deb & Wink

Yes, the decision to euthanize your cat is a difficult one.

I did that assessment with several of my cats for months when they were seriously ill. Sometimes several times a day.
    It was hard to realize it might be time to let go. Labored breathing was a instant decision maker for me.

Think about this. Discuss with family. Only you know when the time is right.

IBD can be treated. It is a difficult journey, with finding a food that helps your cat.

28. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Thank you for your responses. The vet hasn't completely ruled out the lymphoma, either. I realize he would need a biopsy to officially diagnose him with that but unfortunately the cost for that procedure is outrageous (close to 1k) and my vet even said he's in no condition to go under right now. While his neuropathy has improved , he still doesn't walk correctly and he seems to have muscle atrophy in his legs. His legs are so tiny now! His pupils are still constantly dilated even tho his blood sugars have been stable. I just get the feeling there is more to this than just IBD. I guess I may never know since he hasn't had a biopsy. He barely gets out of his bed and has zero interest in anything. He still has some fight left in his eyes and that is why I haven't completely given up yet. I read animals a lot by their eyes...they can tell us so much and for him he still has a little bit of life yet, However when am I pushing him too much? I know only I can answer that, but it's still so hard. I will need to have a conversation with his vet, too. Thank you all so much for your quick and informative responses. It means so much to me!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  29. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I second the antibiotic. It really does work for the diarrhea and in a few days it’s gone. I can only say what everybody already said, I’ve been there too. I didn’t think Minnie could recover. She didn’t move from her spot almost all day and could barely take a few steps. She was peeing wherever she happened to be so lots of pee pads and laundry. And then the diarrhea. She couldn’t manage the litter box so more than once I had to wash her in the kitchen sink. It’s a tough decision and only you’ll know when the time is right for both him and you. I regret with my late cat waiting too long because I couldn’t let go and I promised myself never to make that mistake again. But I’m happy I gave Minnie more time. You are his mom and if you think there’s more to it then IBD, your instincts may be right. I’d take it a day at a time for the next few days. Get the antibiotic and control the diarrheal because dealing with that and your family would drive anyone crazy. I know. I was there. Then try to see what happens with the new food.
    You mentioned he’s not eating well. Is he on any anti nausea meds like ondansetron? Minnie is still in it daily and without it she wouldn’t be eating most days.
    Much love to you and Rocky :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  30. Rocky1710

Rocky1710 New Member

Thsnks for your reply. Dod your Minnie lose weight during this ordeal? How was her blood work? The last draw he had showed elevated folate, low B12 and high WBC. What food is she currently on? ( my apologies if you mentioned it earlier. ). Is she pretty much back to normal now?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  31. Deb & Wink

32. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

of course! Minnie is like 90% back to normal. This morning she jumped on my bed from the floor without any help for the first time in months!! She first gained once the pancreatitis/IBD was controlled with raw food and ondansetron, which is probably why the diabetes set in, then she lost a ton with the new diet (back to a restricted canned wet food) and the elevated glucose levels, like 5-6 pounds. Cerenia didn’t work so I asked her vet for ondansetron and it’s the only thing that keeps her from being nauseated and not eating. I’ve been experimenting on the diet and trying to transition her to the Royal Canin you mentioned but she’s still eating mostly wet fancy feast. I had her on raw before the diabetes and would like to get her back on it or at least a combo of raw and canned. Some folks here recommended Hounds & Gatos so I’m going to try that next. The nutritionist wants me to keep her at a 300 calorie a day diet. The one thing I never knew is that when a cat is diabetic, it loses calories just by peeing since there’s sugar coming out in the pee so they need more calories than a normal cat. Keep that in mind. I get the money part. I don’t have pet insurance and spent nearly 2k with all the tests and nutritionist, but I don’t have kids and luckily I had a little inheritance money that I was able to tap into. I discovered in this forum that you can order insulin from Canada for a 1/3 of the price here so you may want to look into that.
    Her blood tests were okay, but she was already on b12 injections by the time we did a new panel this summer. The first blood test a few months before the diabetes was also fine. Is Rocky getting b12 injections? The b12 methyl or zobaline is different than the injections. Also worth mentioning, the antibiotics and b12 need to be given a few hours apart since antibiotics kill pretty much everything. When you talk to your vet ask about the dosage. I had Minnie on 1/4 pill of metronidazole twice a day at first to regulate faster then down to once a day as the diarrhea started to regulate.

keep us posted and ask as many questions as you need to. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.