Blood test results - professional advice needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cupcake, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello,

We made a blood test yesterday and today I got the results. I can't understand the terminology and the numbers of this test. Could You please be so kind and have a look? Here is the answer of my vet:

Biochemical test: ALT UREA and CREATININE: WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS.
    Microscopy: segmented neutrophils: 88 %, lymphocytes: 8 %.

My vet says that the number of segmented neutrophils is above normal (the normal range should be up to 75 %) and it shows a chronic inflammation. What shall I do now?
    Cupcake is having a temperature above normal (please, see his SS).
    Are any antibiotics compatible with lantus?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Antibiotics may taken when using Lantus.

Inflammation suggests something going on - does she need a dental cleaning? Might she have arthritis?

By the way ... almost none of us are "professionals" in veterinary medicine. We're often fairly well educated in feline diabetes, having or having had, a diabetic kitty at some point. Based on the conditions the respective cats have had, we often pick up useful knowledge on related conditions such as renal disease, dental disease, pancreatitis, hepatitis, etc.

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Oh, nice to know we can give him antibiotics if needed.
    His teeth were cleaned two weeks ago during the operation of neutering.
    I'll try to find out the other causes of inflammation, thanks, BJM.

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I would definately have him checked over for infection as BJ said. Any inflammation can also spike his blood sugar

Wendy

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

You didn''t mention what the total what count was. is it normal or elevated? Neutrophils can also increase due to stress so there may or may not be an infection present.

You should never look at just one result from a panel. You have to evaluate them all together.

6. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Wendy,
    the problem is we do not know what infection it might be. I took interest in segmented neutrophils and found out that the increased number of them might be because of so many reasons, but the main cause might be a bacterial infection. I'll do my best to try to find out the reason with the help of my vet. It's difficult to find the cause of inflammation.
    Deanie and Boo,
    this was all the information I got from my vet. I've just reasked her for more details.

7. Sandy96

Sandy96 Member

The Best news is that his Kidneys are functioning normally!!! However that said dont forget to have a UA done because a common cause of infection esp in male, neutered diabetic cats is the common UTI, which thankfully is easily treated with antibiotics.

8. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Sandy, thanks for the answer. Yes, I am happy his kidneys are ok. I found in FDMB jargon that UTI stands for urinary tract infection. Can You explain me the abbreviation UA please? :)

9. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

UA stands for urinalysis :D

10. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Oh, thanks! :smile:

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe a broad spectrum antibiotic would help. Let us know what the vet says. Did the vet mention pancreatitis at all?

12. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

As far as I understand, ALT (alanine aminotransferase) test suggests his liver is functioning properly and is not damaged. Next week we are going to do an additional test - FPL snap kit idexx (http://www.idexx.com//view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/snap/fpl.jsf?SSOTOKEN=0). It helps diagnose pancreatitis too. I'll keep You informed. We are going to visit our vet again next week. Cupcake is loosing his weight significantly :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.