Blood testers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexi456, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexi456

alexi456 Member

Hi,
    We have been having great issues with getting constant blood tests as our cat truely hates the ear test method and fights tooth and nail against it. We have tried all methods suggested but I think it must hurt him a fair bit as normally he is very chilled and wouldn’t fight you on anything. The vet has suggested a different testing method https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpP5pIfS3AIVVaaWCh3y9wEqEAAYASAAEgKhAvD_BwE
    And I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this device. In theory it sounds like a much easier and less stressful way of getting a curve but I thought if it’s as good as it sounds why isn’t everyone using it?

2. Leah

Leah Member

It's a continuous wear system, right? I can't imagine my cat keeping that on, no matter where I installed it ;)

Have you tried the toe pads?

3. alexi456

alexi456 Member

yes its continuous wear, our cat isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so i doubt he'd notice its on him once it was stuck on. It seems like it would be a lot less stress on both us and fred just being able to scan him whenever we need a result. i just dont know how hard they would be to install and im guessing i would have to shave a part of him to get it to stick.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Some of the vets here in Australia are using these for newly diagnosed cats. They are animal specific meters as apposed to human meters that most of us use, so the readings are a little higher and therefore the take action numbers etc are different.
    As mentioned above Girlies Mum used one on the beginning but she transitioned to a human meter and tested via the ear after a few weeks.
    A few other Aussies used them as well but I can't think who at the moment.
    Yes you have to shave the area.
    For you it could be a good idea as you are having trouble getting Fred to comply.
    They are fairly new.....have been around since about January of last year so that is why many are not using them and I think they are more expensive to use......but I could be wrong.. Not sure if they are available any other country.
    Where do you live? There may be someone who lives not too far away who may be able to help you get sorted with the testing.
    But I would give this device a go. It would be very useful to see what his BSLs are during a cycle.

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would say it is very good. However, the sensor has to be replaced every 2 weeks at a price of abut $100 each (per the link you provided). Also the diameter of the sensor is 35 mm which may make it hard t find a good spot to apply it, especially where the cat will not scratch at it.

8. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the Freestyle Libre for cats, although I so wish it worked!

My post in the Think tank

My other post in testaholics

I'm sure they'll come up with something for cats someday! Wouldn't that be lovely? :)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.