Blood Testing and Co$ts - why?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

We all are concerned about our cats health otherwise we would not be here and I know Vets are in business for profit and they feel a calling to help animals but WHY are blood tests so darn expensive? Mine are not so and even paid for by insurance are very inexpensive. Are Vets pushing this to pad the profit? Why $250 - $350 quotes for CBC and senior panel blood test. Can I order off Amazon & do this at home? I am in my first week of feline Diabetes and it has been rather expensive. I go back in tomorrow for a vet BG and to compare at the same time my own Reli-on Prime machine. They want to do a blood panel on my senior little cuddle bunny since I did not authorize one last week.

What do/did you pay for blood tests?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I pay about $150 for a Senior blood panel....that includes the CBC, the SDMA, Thyroid, liver enzymes, kidney values, etc. (all the tests done are listed in the "Labs" tab on my spreadsheet)

The SDMA is a newer blood test that catches kidney disease earlier than other tests. It's only done by IDEXX labs though (as part of their senior blood panel) so if your vet uses Antech, you may have to specifically ask for it.

3. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Thanks Chris. I'm hoping they don't quote a ridiculous price to me tomorrow. I might just counter back at half the price to do it.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Prices do vary, especially in high cost cities …..so if everything else costs more in your area, expect it to cost more for the bloodwork too

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The cost the vet charges for them interpreting the results and also covers overhead like rent, salary etc. I have some of my pets at one vet and two cats at another vet. One vet charges a lot more for the same blood tests.
    No, first, I doubt that you have the skill to draw the required blood sample. Also, the labs only deal with vets.

Darwin H. likes this.
  6. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Of course, that makes sense what you said. Just tired of making so many trips back and forth to the Vet... It has been a very stressful week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.