Bloodtesting lancet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexanne, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanne

alexanne Member

Well that was fun - just tested the lancet device on myself - setting 3 - OUCH a bit. This was recommended by Dawn and Nova on the topic "Canada Blood testing". I can see how that would be much better and certainly with a shaky hand the device once placed in the correct spot - "lined up" as Dawn and Nova states, it would be a breeze. It has caused a bit of a bruise there as it comes out quite fast. I'd probably use setting 2 or even 1 for Peachy. I'll give it a go - as I said at setting 3 it did jump a bit as it stings. Can't see that it would be any worse than poking free hand though. Thanks for the tip Dawn and Nova.

I use a One Touch Ultra 2 - I expect this is the one you use?
    :dizcat

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

My Testing Tips:

1. Pet your kitty and massage the ear while you are petting him or use a rice sock to warm his ears.

2. Find a place with good light to do the testing. I used a section of my kitchen counter because it's a good height and has under cabinet lights. Put a towel down on the counter. Some people get the cat in between their legs while kneeling on the floor. Others use a couch or chair and put the cat between them and the arm. Others test in their lap. I sometimes tested Maggie in her bed.

3. Set out everything you need before getting your cat. I put the tesing strip part way into the meter, cock the pen.

4. Put a very thin smear of vaseline on the ear to help the blood bead up and not flow into the hair. I would talk to her and tell her she's being a very good girl.

5. Put something firm behind the ear - I used a waded up paper towel. It gives a firm base to work on, and keeps you from getting poked. It's handy to put light pressure on the spot after it bleeds. A little pressure will stop the bleeding and reduced bruising.

6. Most lancet pens have adjustment for depth. I started with it almost at the deepest. I worked down to the next to the smallest. Some people don't use the pen, they use the lancet free-hand.

7. Hold the ear firmly or you'll get the dreaded "ear flick" that send little spots of blood all over!

8. Some people use their fingernail to "scoop" up the blood drop, and test from the nail.

9. Don't forget the treats!

3. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thank you Debby - I have ticked off each step - As I said I tested it on myself at level 3 - I've found I have a bruise on that finger tip now. Although the number only controls depth - I don't think it has anything to do with the force!

I'll keep you posted.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Alos, make sure you are using the clear cap (used in humans for alternate site (other than fingers) testing that comes in the package. The clear cap makes it easier to prick in the right spot.

5. alexanne

alexanne Member

Glad you mentioned the clear cap - I was reading over the instructions for the appliance which comes with the one touch - and noticed it was talking about the clear cap - I see that my package did not contain one - I'll have to call the pharmacy to find out where that is and get one - as you say it would be easier to view the site with the clear cap. It showed on the instruction that the clear cap was used for other parts of the body other than the finger.

On the other post site I have one of the replies said about being surprised that I had a bruise - maybe I just bruise easily - but I certainly do have one about 1/4 inch in the area of my finger. Also the writer said that her settings were 1 - 5 - my settings on the one touch are 1 to 9. I had used 3.

This is great I am getting a lot of information. Thanks. :dizcat

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Look carefully in th case for the meter. It is usually in a little plastic wrap stuffed in one of the pockets in the meter case.

7. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks Larry - The One Touch Ultra 2 for some reason does not include this plastic cap - I have looked carefully in the packet and looked at the contents of the package on the label and it does not include the clear cap - in fact in the handbook it shows a picture of that, the control solution and says both are obtainable separately. Also looked at the web site and against the Ultra 2 it says this cap can be obtained by calling their 1-800 number. There is another model The Smart One Touch which does include this cap. I can't think why they would have it separately for any of their meters that have the lancing device - It doesn't make sense, but there it is - I have to call them to get it. So I'll do that today. I e-mailed them and told them I didn't think it made sense not to have it included with the One Touch Ultra 2 - I'll wait to hear back by e-mail, but I'll call them also.

I'll keep you up-dated.

I assume you use this device - which size needles do you use and what is the depth you use?

The question is for anyone who uses this device.

Thanks again. I really appreciate this site and all the help.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I buy these lancets: (quite inexpensive)
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html

And I've found my kitties ears are tougher than my finger -- so don't be surprised if you need to make the poke deeper instead.
    (my lancet device goes from 1 to 5 and Tiggy gets 4)

9. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks again - I'll have to try by trial and error for the right depth for Peachy.

As mentioned above the One Touch which goes from 1 to 9 depth, doesn't come with the clear cap as mentioned by Larry. I looked in the e manual and saw that you had to call them at 1-800 number to get the clear cap. I did this and unfortunately for me I was honest and said it was for a cat - they said they couldn't send me the clear cap as the monitor was not approved for cats. I thought that was ridiculous as the clear cap wasn't anything which would cause harm like a needle or something like that. I called my pharmacist and told her about it - she said no problem she has the clear cap and will send it to me.

I'll finally get it all together. I intend taking it back to the vet and showing him how to use the lancet device - he had a bother putting it together and just gave me the free hand lancets. I'll be able to find out from him and experiment to see about depth with him on hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.