Blu is officially OTJ!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blu, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blu

blu Member

He did it! Blu is doing just great. No glucose readings over 96 during his OTJ trial with most being in the 60's! So HAPPY!

I've said this before, but had I not found the advice here to glucose test at home I may have lost Blu by giving an insulin shot when his glucose was low. He went from somewhat high numbers to near normal numbers almost overnight. It CAN happen that fast.

THANK YOU to the very special people who helped us - Blu and I are so grateful! :thumbup

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

dancing_cat Congrats!!! dancing_cat

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Tanya,

Congrats to you and Blu. What a great job you have done with him.

Terri

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Way to go Blu! Welcome to the falls abd enjoy your honeymoon there.

Here are some tips to stay OTJ (off-the-juice, insulin being the juice)

1. Never feed dry - not even treats. If you change wet food types, be 100% sure the new food is also low carb and same low carb % as your current food. Some cats are very carb sensitive and an increase from 3-6% to 8-10% can spike the BG’s. Don’t feed if you aren’t sure!
    2. Weigh every 2 weeks to 1 month to watch for weight changes. Too much of a weight gain can cause loss of remission.
    3. Measure blood once a week, indefinitely. You want to catch a relapse quickly. Some people only do checks every 2 weeks to a month.
    4. No steroids or oral meds with sugar - remind your vet whenever giving you any medication. Always double check.
    5. Monitor food intake, peeing and drinking. If increasing, a sign of losing remission.
    6. Regular vet checks for infection such as dental , ear or UTI. And get them treated quick!

If your cat does fall out of remission you need to be more aggressive and resolve issues/ back on insulin as soon as possible as the window for a second remission is tight if any.

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hooray!

Congratulations on your remission, Blu!
    Tanya, you've done a great job. Well done!
    dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.