Blue 7/6 AMPS 181

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexia and Blue, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

AMPS 181- .4u/1u
    +4 121

I am glad to see that he is starting to stay in the blues, but he was in yellow 2 days ago so maybe I should knock on wood. 181 is a good number for not getting a PM shot the night before I think. Tuesday I have to close again, but I am going to try a little experiment. I have been feeding him 7% consistently to slow the drops that he had been having and that seems to be working, and I gave him 7% last night. Tuesday when I can't do a PM shot again, I want to feed him something between 3%-5% and see if that helps lower his numbers since he won't have insulin. Any thoughts? What % do you think I should go with? Even though 181 is a great number, I just want to see if I had given him a lower carb amount if that would have helped him stay lower.

Other than that the only time I REALLY notice his neuropathy is in the bed. He has a harder time get the balance he needs to stand up, it could be the mattress and he has always been like a sloth but it seems that he has more trouble with it now than he did before. And sometimes he sits funny when he eats. But we are doing B12 and he doesn't slid on the floor anymore.

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

just to clarify, you'd be shooting and feeding in the morning, but not shooting at night because you're home late (like past +17)?

so that night when you don't shoot is when you'd want to give the lower carb food? i think that's a good idea. i "think" the lowest carb we see routinely around here is 3%, so i'd probably do that. if you want to and he'll eat it, it wouldn't hurt to boil some chicken breast in water to put alongside his food and cut the overall carb percentage even further.

3. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Yes. We are on a 6/6 schedule. When I open in the morning I work 8am-4pm and leave around 7am and am home around 5pm. So that is the ideal shift because I can do both shots. When I close I work 2:30pm-10:30pm, so I leave around 1:30pm and get home around 11:30-12(since trains are slower that time of night). So I can't do the night shot because by the time I get home if I were to shoot then I can't the next morning on schedule. Tuesday is my next closing shift and then I open the rest of that week so I am set for the next almost 2 weeks. When I open I always leave him some deli sliced turkey to nibble on, and we graze so the food is there for him all day, I add a can of water so it stays wet for him all day as well. I am a little scared to drop his carbs from 7% when I shoot because it seems to look like he isn't dropping as quickly and still keeping some pretty good numbers. But I was thinking of giving him the 3-5% when I feed him at +17 since he doesn't get a shot to see if that helps keep his numbers low, or I can ask my roommate to feed him earlier than that. I think overall the 7% is working well on the regular, might try some 6% too, but anything lower than that seems to help him drop quickly. What do you think about both, 7% on the regular and 3-5% when I can't shoot?

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yep right now the 7% seems to be working well for initial drop, and to give him a more normal nadir time.
    agree i'd keep that up after shot but switch to the 3% or lower that night when you come home and skip the shot. [FYI, food is not such an issue for some cats after they've been doing this diabetes thing a while. so periodically you may check to see whether it matters that you're giving the slightly higher carb food to blunt the drop.]

re the neuropathy it took MONTHS for cleo's to stop being so bad. she really lost her jumping ability. but eventually the methyl B12 worked. some of it i'm sure had to do with her being more regulated for a while, but i think the methyl B12 does help.

5. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

105 PMPS!!!!!!! So we aren't going to shot a number that low. I fed him 3% food and will test him later to see if this is able to keep him down. I can't believe he gave me a number that low!

6. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sounds like a good plan with the carb % experiment....which is why I suggested labeling your cans to make it easier to figure out.

have patience with the neuropathy, with insulin regulation and the b12 it will reverse itself, it is a very slow process and sometimes hard to see the progress. with maui she was walking flat footed and then one morning I noticed her back on her toes.

I am thrilled to see these numbers and that he is now ps in the blues and not yellows!

We will break this boy yet!

8. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

I know! :mrgreen: indeed! I have labeled all the cans, which makes feeding him and deciding go much quicker, thank you! I am so excited about these numbers too! I think someone wants to be broken!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.