Blue Buffalo Wilderness Canned Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjtalbot, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

I've been looking at the labels on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness CANNED food for my diabetic cat, but don't see any numbers on the carbs in that food. The label claims high protein, low carbs, and no grains.... Does anyone know the % carbs as-fed for Blue Buffalo Wilderness CANNED food?

Thanks!

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I do not know.. I know I have asked before - someone pointed out to me that potatos were a top ingredient - so I shyed away -- I don't know though. I am sure it is high protein/low carb as it suggests - but what is it comparing itself to? I kind of have a feeling that it is not under 10% but I have no evidence to back that up. I am feeding Wellness when I am gone & Raw when I am home.

3. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

4. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

Yeah I saw those too, but they are a different line with blue buffalo & don't have the high protein, low carbs labels... :( I'm still hoping someone knows or can help find out for sure if it's safe for our diabetic kitties

Thanks

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If you are lacking the actual numbers, take a look at the ingredients list and you can guestimate.....ie is there wheat/corn/rice/soy/potatos and in what positionon the list?

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

can't you add up the components in canned food and get a rough estimate of the carb content?

This is the chicken Wilderness:
    Crude Protein 10.0% min
    Crude Fat 9.0% min
    Crude Fiber 1.5% max
    Moisture 78.0% max
    Ash 2.5% max

That adds up to 101% because of the min/max values. Wouldn't that mean there was very little % left for carbs?
    Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potatoes, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Meal (Natural Source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Salt, Carageenan, Cassia Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamins: Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid Supplement (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Minerals: Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate

Compared to Wellness chicken:
    Crude Protein 10.0% min
    Crude Fat 5.0% min
    Crude Fiber 1.0% max
    Moisture 78.0% max
    Ash 1.95% max
    Magnesium 0.025% max
    Taurine 0.10% min

That adds up to 96.075%....
    Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Cranberries, Blueberries, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.