Blue buffalo wilderness

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Well I am off to pet smart to shop for lower carb food for Do Lou he will not eat wellness core so thats out anyone tried this yet ?
    or have any other suggestions he also will not eat evo.
    Lisa

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Will Lou eat Fancy Feast or Friskies? Some cats prefer the inexpensive stuff over the expensive premium stuff.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness may be be ok. The canned is grain-free but contains potatos which can affect bgs in some cats. http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/w ... -cat.shtml

Print out a copy of the canned food charts and bring them with you to the stores so you can check to see what brands/varieties are low carb.

3. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Judging from another post of yours, I'm assuming you mean the Blue Buffalo Wilderness DRY. This of course is not an ideal choice for a diabetic kitty and wet is best by far... however, I do feed this to my kitty! (I know, I'm terrible!) He eats some wet (Fancy Feast) and some dry (BB Wilderness). It is higher carb than the EVO or Wellness Core, but unlike those, my kitty LOVES the BB Wilderness (chicken flavor, not duck). I'm glad to have found one that he loves, even if it is not ideal by any means. Of course, this means his insulin dosage requirements are a bit higher than others on wet-only, and it means that he is more prone to "food spike" numbers for longer periods of time b/c dry stays in the system longer. Another downside is that the Wilderness REEKS. It stinks so bad. :shock: Regardless, my kitty feels great and is super happy. :smile:

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thanks for the reply I would love to have him on all raw or fancy feast/wet food but as of now he just does not eat enough to do that he had a hypo incident 2 weeks ago so I will let him have his dry from now on regardless of how good/bad it is my goal is to just do my best in finding a better dry for him and try to get him to eat more canned if possible he does like the fancy feast seafood flavors from the list on the forum so that is good. Right now my vet is thinking about switching him to lantus in 2 days I sure hope so I have been wanting to maybe try another insulin for Do Lou since he had been nothing but up and down on N since Nov. But once again thanks for your reply

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food is 18% carbs.

I did use it to transition my crack-addicted kitties from Science Diet Senior to Wilderness to EVO to 100% canned.

My cats liked it very well - I didn't find the smell objectionable.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

well he loves it so hoping that we can slowly work on getting him on more and more canned at least he likes some raw anyone order feline pride before I placed a order to try some of the chicken. Anyway its frustrating but I keep trying to get him to eat do not want anymore hypo incidents but his was also before I was home testing so now that I am home testing I figure its got to be easier to avoid a attack since before I was just shooting blind.

7. Ruth & Beethoven (GA)

Ruth & Beethoven (GA) Member

I've wondered about Blue Buffalo wilderness too. And I mean the canned ones. They are labeled as high protein/low carb and seem to have pretty good ingredients, although they do contain potatoes. They are quite pricey--about $1.30 for 3 oz, so I'd want to know before I buy if they're a good option for Beethoven. Anybody know the protein/fat/carb numbers for these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.