Blue is back with mamma! AMPS 198

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexia and Blue, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

So good to be back and be with my little man again! He was a little mad when he got back and ignored me for a while but once he got over that he hasn't left my side, literally. I am looking over him now just so I can type this. Here is what we are working with today...

AMPS 198 .4u/1u
    +2.5 143
    +5.5 111

Gotta work tonight which sucks because I have been away from him and because I won't be able to see him until his +18. His drops today seem to be looking a little more normal.

Definitely good to be back!

2. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Oh Blue... I'm so glad you're back with your Mommy Bean... Now lets stay in the good numbers and patiently wait to cuddle with mommy, while she's at work. So glad everything is fine again... Now try to relax and enjoy the holiday week-end.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Great to hear Blue is back home and has already decided to forgive you!

I hope he continues with those nice numbers.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

forgot to mention - at this point in his process - there no longer is a don't shoot number - you know you had 200 or 170 or whatever as don't shoot - well no more - there's enough data and info to know that it's definitely safe to shoot.

I think if you want to fatten up this dose, like I showed you (just over the 1 mark), it will be good for him - you may want to start him on a 2, 3 or 4%, then if you're home for +2 give him some 7% to slow the drop and check him at +3. If he's at 50 or below, feed him more 7% and check again in 30 minutes to make sure he's rising and not still falling.

make sense?

and i knew you'd be forgiven, he can't help himself, he luvs you and you are the mommy!

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

so funny how they sometimes act like little kids when we come back from being away. :)
    very nice numbers today considering the transition back home.

you could monitor another day to see how he's doing before fattening the dose. we do want to trend him away more from preshots in the 200s and so far even on big drop days he's not bouncing up too much, so i advised fattening a teeny bit, but if he's trending down now that he's back home it's not necessary yet (he's right on the borderline now between needing an increase and monitoring a little til he's into a routine with you).

[if you've already fattened the dose, no worries. just be sure to check his +2 or +3 as soon as you can to see how he's taking it.]

looking forward to seeing his +18. how are you going to handle his schedule? will you be able to shoot closer to every 12 hours after that or will you need to adjust his schedule? no pressure -- we really prefer a schedule of shooting every 12 hours, but obviously real life intrudes and we can't always stick to 12/12.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that. I think with a PZI, there always should be a no-shoot number. It may be lower than 200 or 170 with the additional information, but I wouldn't shoot a full dose of PZI into a cat who was, say 90 or even 120. The no-shoot numbers for Lantus and Levemir can be so low as to be practically unnecessary, but I would keep a no-shoot line for PZI. My reason--the difference in the actions of the insulins.

7. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

venita, he's on prozinc, not pzi vet.

i'd still have a no-shoot number til he's a longer-term diabetic, but as hillary said you determine that based on the data you've/she's gathered on his preshots and how he responds each time. she's collected data based on how he's responded with her, and you will probably want to establish a comfort zone based on how he performs now that he's back home with you.

really does depend on the cat, tho. some cats will bounce if their preshot is 70 and you shoot them then. others will have a flatter curve (the "shoot low to stay low" theory) if you shoot at a lower number. because he had larger drops by +3 until his dose was lowered quite a bit and/or hillary fed the drop/increased his carbs, how he responds on his next dose will factor into your decision as to how low his preshot BGs can be, as will your ability to do midpoint BG testing and how long you expect him home unmonitored while you are out or at work (and any other health issues he may have).

8. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Thanks Chris! I have requested at work that I do get more opening shifts, because I can do both shots on a the 12-12 schedule, but I am at the bottom of the totem pole(freshly promoted) so my say is the last say. But the fact that I only close 2 times in the next 2 weeks, is awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.