Blue Update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by suite, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suite

suite New Member

:D Hi all:

I started Blue back on the "old" PZI (PZI VET), which, unexplainedly, my vet still has (some) and boy oh boy, he perked right up! Even came into my bed and was purring last night. I am thrilled!! Thanks for all the help. :mrgreen:

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

awesome! what dose and are you going to hometest?

Jen

3. suite

suite New Member

Hi Jen:

3 units 2x day and he is going to vet in 3 weeks for BG. I think I will home test. I also saw something about urine glucose strips...what cha think?

Judy

4. Jen & Squeak

and the 3 units is based on what? That is a terribly high starting dose.....remind me, what does he eat?

and urine glucose testing won't be of much use...blood glucose testing like human diabetics do is the way to keep yourself sane and him safe......read http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html

5. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

suite, if you are considering home testing, there is no time like the present. You can get a meter for free with the purchase of strips at most places (or the meters are very cheap)... Ask the pharmacist for a meter that takes very little blood.

I don't know your kitty's history so don't know how you came to give 3 units but that is a high dose if it's a starting dose or has not been increased slowly (by 1/2 units from a starting dose of 1 unit). Testing is crucial. Let us know if you need help choosing a meter or finding one. If you can afford to get a meter today, I really encourage you to do so.

6. suite

suite New Member

My vet put Blue back on the dose he was taking before switched to Vetsulin. Last night I had to give him corn syrup because he was vomiting and woozy. He is better this morning, he ate and I gave him the injection. Should I go down from 3 units to 1 unit? BTW, what is the correct BG for a cat? ---Judy

7. Jen & Squeak

Judy

Because you weren't hometesting while he was on vetsulin, you've no idea if it was really the right dose. Plus lantus is a totally different kind of insulin, so there is no real comparison. And finally, every cat has different insulin needs, so without testing, as we've said before, you just don't know. So yes, please do go down to 1 unit, test his urine daily for ketones (a risk when unregulated) and learn how to test blood glucose levels so you can stop guessing and stressing :)

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This info is from the FAQ's. It will give you an idea about normal/abnormal blood glucose levels.

Not treated [blood glucose typically above 300 mg/dl (16.7 mmol/L), poor clinical signs]
    Treated but not regulated [often above 300 (16.7) and rarely near 100 (5.6), poor clinical signs]
    Regulated [generally below 300 (16.7) with glucose nadir near 100 (5.6), good clinical signs, no hypoglycemia]
    Well regulated [generally below 200-250 (11.1-13.9) and often near 100 (5.6), no hypoglycemia]
    Tightly regulated [generally below 150 (8.3) and usually in the 60-120 (3.3-6.7) range, no hypoglycemia, still receiving insulin]
    Normalized [60-120 (3.3-6.7) except perhaps directly after meals -- usually not receiving insulin]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.