Blues after eating?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hey guys still seem to be going well so far. Numbers are a little higher than when we first came OTJ but still mostly in the greens.
    Should I be concerned with the few blues I've been getting on his before bed tests. They all used to be green but he's been in the blues the last few times I've checked at night.
    Or think those blues still look ok?

Thanks guys

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Becki, I think Sox looks just fine right now but you are right to keep an eye on those blues. I wouldn't blink at eye at anything under 105 or so because with meter variance those could just as easily be green numbers given meter variance allowances. The normal range high is 120 so if you get any readings up that high or higher, then you need to intentionally feed Sox and then test again roughly 3 hours later to see if the number has come down which would indicate his pancreas is doing it's job.
    You are still getting green numbers for the most part (and mostly blues that could be greens) so I wouldn't worry. If the blues start increasing in frequency or get higher, then test a little more often for a couple of days to see if it's just an anomaly or it's becoming a pattern.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes to what Linda said. I wouldn't worry at this point. You're keeping up with testing, so you'll catch it if she starts to go higher. It's good to "see" you again!

Becki and sox likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree as well. Just keep up with testing and you'll see if she starts rising. I wouldn't let it stress you out for now.

5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Thanks @MrWorfMen's Mom that's what I was thinking. Was just slightly concerned with those blues as there all around 2 hours after eating and they had always been in the green for the past few weeks.

Yeah I couldn't bring myself yet to just test once a day.... Not just yet lol.
    I've still been lurking and trying to help out if I can on the main forum :)

Yeah still keeping a close eye on him. Fingers crossed were staying in those greens by himself for a good while.

Do most cats stay in remmision or does every car who goes into remmision always come out of it at some point?

MrWorfMen's Mom and Djamila like this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Not all cats come out of remission. Some do, some don't. It depends. Keeping them on good, low carb food forever helps. Any high carbs or steroids and they could be back in the sugar dance. Also, some cats just come back to the dance on their own. However, we've seen cats show up, get into remission, and live a good long life with nary a high number since. That's why we always say to keep spot testing for as long as they live.

It's so great that you're helping out on Main! It makes a world of difference to have someone who has been there around to offer help, advice, encouragement, or just an ear. I know you know that. :) This place works because of those of us like you who have stayed to pay it forward. Thank you for being there for other beans going through this scary diagnosis!

Djamila likes this.
  7. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

That's good. That's what I'm hoping for.

I have been keeping a check on the prozinc page too but as I only have about 2 months worth of knowledge on actually giving the insulin and the ins and outs of it I don't feel I'm the best to offer advice where as on the main forum with it been general questions I feel I can help out there. :D

8. Djamila

Please know that you are welcome to help out here too! :) And we all hope with you, that Sox will have a long healthy remission!

9. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Thank you @Djamila I'm hoping so too :D

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've said it before - Sox is such a cutie! I love his face markings. :smuggrin:

Djamila likes this.
  11. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Kris & Teasel bless ylou. He is.. I am biased of course but he is ever so cute lol :D

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

We love our kitties don't we? :)

Becki and sox and Djamila like this.
  13. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

We do indeed. Had a very heated discussion about this today at work as I say my cats too me are as important as a kid would be if I had one. Some of my colleagues did not agree.

14. Kris & Teasel

I can't understand people who don't love animals. :confused:

15. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

16. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

We've had a few more blues today which were +2 and +3 after food but those are still in the acceptable range went they.
    It is pretty normal for sugars to go a little higher after eating isn't it?

Think I'm just worrying about that he's creeping back up :confused:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  17. Kris & Teasel

I think you need a little more time to get more data. I can only imagine how hard the remission part is ... worrying whether BG is on the upswing, etc.

18. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

It definitely keeps you on your toes lol.
    Although at the moment most the morning and pm test are too low to shoot anyways.

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm sorry to say the trepidation of those remission readings is almost worse than when they are on insulin even 5 months later. I now find myself almost procrastinating about doing her weekly checks simply because I don't want to see anything untoward.

If Sox is anything like Menace, testing has become a little more difficult. While Menace still comes when called, does her little dance swatting me with her tail a couple of times before plunking her little bottom down and presenting her ear, she is now being a bit of putz every time, pushing and pulling her ear around in my fingers while I try to test instead of staying completely still for Mommy to do her thing.:rolleyes: Not sure if that would cause any increase or not but I have noticed the more she putzes and I have to work at it, the higher her BG is. Still quite normal, but still up a tad.

20. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

It could be. Sox was higher again this morning. But he had been running round like a loon so that could be why.

Do you ever get times when they are in remmision but maybe just need a top up of insulin some where along the way just to put them back on the right path?

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

I've seen cats fall out of remission and have to go back on regular insulin shots but I've never heard of anyone giving insulin periodically. It's possible that you might only have to go back to shots for a short period of time however stats generally suggest that it's harder to get them back into remission a second time. That said, there are a number of cats here who have fallen out of remission and regained it in relatively short order and on more then one occasion.
    I think the key is very much continuing to spot check and pick up on any continuing pattern of elevation quickly as infections or dental issues seem to be frequent culprits in knocking kitties out of remission and the BG elevation may be the first sign. If we pick up on an infection or dental issues early, we can treat them early and hopefully ward off any loss of remission.

22. Djamila

Yes, if you look at @Caitlin M, you can see an example. Pita (Caitlin's cat) goes in and out of remission, and they go through short periods where he's too low to dose regularly, but they give him occasional micro-doses. I think he's had three or four "honeymoons" now where he'll go off insulin for a month or two and then come back on.

23. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he just stays as he is and doesn't creep too much higher.
    @Djamila oh right so maybe Sox maybe be the same in he might just need a top up here and there.

24. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

So maybe if I see a number above 6.7 (120) regularly it maybe worth doing something similar with a micro dose maybe?

25. Djamila

I don't see any numbers that would warrant that yet. Just saying that it's an option if he starts to go high into the blues. Right now he's still staying under 120 and there's no need to give him any insulin.

I also think that if he does creep higher, I would look at health issues first, especially getting his teeth cleaned (even if the vet says they're fine, sometimes things hide under the gums for cats - the only way to know is to put them under anesthesia, take an x-ray, and go from there), watching for constipation issues, and making sure his general health is good (ears, fleas, parasites, worms,...all the things we can't really see but impact their health).

Becki and sox and Kris & Teasel like this.
  26. Djamila

I wouldn't do anything right at 120. I think I'd give it a few days and see if he stays above 120. Even a microdose can be pretty powerful and bring them too low if they don't really need it yet.

Becki and sox and Kris & Teasel like this.
  27. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

That's what I was thinking maybe if his numbers are above 7.0 and stay high for a few days then that's when he might need it if theres no other health issues.
    Fingers crossed though we won't get to that point though.