Blues & Yellows? Whhaaaatt???? ;)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by HuskerGyrl, Aug 29, 2018.

1. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

The last handful of days, Romeo has been throwing me some blues and yellows... yahoo! I'm getting more comfortable shooting in the lower ranges too -- still not 100% comfortable, but better. I got up in the middle of the night last night, planning to do a mini curve -- but when he was at 283 at +6... figured he wasn't going to drop tooo much more in the next hour or two. He gave me a pmps of 180 tonight, so I reduced dose a smidge and will get up again tonight and make sure all is well.

I do have a general question about neuropathy -- he's been weak in the backend the last month or so -- and I attributed it to his sustained high numbers, and hoped that it would reverse itself as his numbers improved. Tonight it was noticeably wobbly, and it has me worried. Have you guys had any experience with this? Any suggestions for how to improve his strength?

Djamila likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It can take months for neuropathy to reverse. Are you giving b12 methylcobalamin supplements?

HuskerGyrl likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Along with the B12 that Janet suggested (be sure to get methylcobalamin and not one of the other forms), it takes time in healing numbers. Romeo is still getting pretty high numbers. Like with anything, every cat is different, but my guy starts to show neuropathy if he's even in the higher blues. The B12 really makes a difference, but even with that it takes quite awhile to start to heal. I'd start him on some Zobaline (the brand of B12 many folks around here use), and keep working on the dosing to get those numbers down. He'll get there!

Esi and HuskerGyrl like this.
  4. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Thanks so much you guys!! I didn't know about the B12... I'll get some zobaline right away and get him started. It still breaks my heart but at least it's a little something I can do in the meantime. I'm going to bump him up to 2.25 Friday morning and see how he does. (I can't be home to check him mid-cycle until then.) Fingers crossed!

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  5. fatcat

fatcat Member

My boy was down on his haunches when he was diagnosed in 2016. I gave him a B12 shot ( the vet made them up for me) along with his insulin and he was back up on his feet and went into remission after 1 month. Unfortunately, in June, he was diagnosed again. :( (I think its because I put him back on dry food.) He's not gone back into remission. He is not on his haunches. We are doing a BCG today and his AMPS was 8.3 (or 149), and went down to 2.7 at +2 and stayed at 2.7 at +3. No hypo symptoms. I gave him some food at both times, and put some corn syrup on his food the second time, and at +4 he's at 6.8. Did I do the right thing? I will test again at +6.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have bumped him up by a full unit from 2 u to 3 u and then done a curve the same day. I would have increased to only 2.25 u, left him there a couple of days to settle and then done a curve. The numbers today suggest that 3 u is too high a dose right now.

Djamila likes this.
  7. fatcat

fatcat Member

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I gave him 3 units this morning. The +2 is two hours after his dose. The +3 is three hours after his dose, and +4 is four hours after he got 3 U. Sorry for the confusion. He was bumped up to 3 U last Wednesday, and this is his first BCG since.

8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

So to continue sorting out this confusion: you haven't tested since 8/29? Or the data just isn't on your spreadsheet? I agree with Kris that 3u is too much for your kitty right now.

9. fatcat

fatcat Member

Yes. I haven't tested since Aug. 29, when the vet said to up his units to 3 and up his food to two cans. I was getting too stressed and so I laid off the testing and did it today because it was a week after we changed his dose and upped his food. The vet said today, after his numbers, to skip his dose tonight and give him 2 units tomorrow morning. And to monitor. Tonight is the first time Tige hasn't bugged for food. He usually starts bugging about 2 hours before he is to get fed. He was laying on his cat tower and I opened the pantry -- he knows where his food is -- and he jumped down. He didn't eat all his food, thought. Maybe half of it, maybe 1/3. He is washing up now. :)