Boiled Chicken Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, I am not a cook & will be the 1st to admit :D

I would like to get some Organic Skinless Chicken Breast to boil & serve pieces as a treat to Sadi & Baby. I fully understand this alone is not a sufficient diet - they are on Raw & Wellness, but I would like to boil some. How do I do it? Just put it in water? For how long? Thanks!

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I just gently simmered chicken until just cooked through. Merlin was so finicky. He wouldn't touch slightly overcooked or undercooked chicken :razz: You can freeze the cooked chicken for later use. Just let thaw and feed.

An occasional piece of raw chicken is ok as a treat.

3. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Yeah, I would do it at a really low simmer until just cooked through--shouldn't take more than 10 minutes I'd guess (depending on the thickness). I'd use as little water as possible and then use the water either as is or mixed in w/food. Probably yummy to a cat.

4. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I used to boil chicken for Bob all the time. Bring the water to a boil, put the chicken in and simmer - 15 minutes for thick cutlets and 7-8 minutes for the thin. I never boiled parts (can't stand to handle them, I am a vegetarian) so I can't help you with that.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I prefer to roast the chicken on the bone with the skin on. This makes it more moist and flavorful. Just stick it in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

If you choose to boil the chicken, you can also use the water in which it was boiled as it's basically a thin broth.

I also have steamed the chicken breasts, then chopped into pieces and frozen for treats later on. The pieces are most useful for times like the 2hr pre shot no feeding period; if Shadoe is really hungry, I do give her a couple small cubes and it tides her over till test and shot time.

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I also add an egg to the boiling water, giving it even more protein and flavor. Sometimes, if I'm in the mood, I make my own "appetizers" with the chopped chicken, the broth and a small amount of tuna or salmon - like the FF expensive ones only without the guar gum. Sweety loves her special homemade treats!

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I don't actually boil chicken. Usually, using a boneless, skinless breast, I cut it up into small pieces with kitchen scissors and feed it raw.

However, every once in awhile I will cook the chicken by putting the small pieces on a plate covered with plastic wrap into the microwave. I cook them long enough for them to turn white. Be careful taking off the plastic; there will be steam.

I just thought that microwaving, rather than boiling, would keep more nutrition in the meat. Also, I can microwave right on the cat plate and not have extra cleanup.

If you don't like handling raw chicken, then boiling is a "cleaner" way of doing it. You can also pick up a box of latex gloves to use to handle the meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.