Bojangles is newly diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bojangles' Mom, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

My Bojangles was just diagnosed last week. She's 14. Today will be our first day with insulin. Vet is hopeful that one month of insulin will have her in remission (fingers crossed!). Trying not to get hopes (or fears) up too high. Thank you for having a forum like this, it was reassuring over the last few days to see how readily available information and advice are.

2. Melly

Melly Member

Welcome @Bojangles' Mom - we're new to this community as well. Everyone here is very friendly and supportive.

Whereabouts are you located? What type of insulin is Bojangles on?

3. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Hi, I'm Marcy. We live "up" in New Hampshire. I'm not sure what the insulin will be yet. I'm waiting for it to be called into the pharmacy for pick up. Vet prescribed Purina Pro Plan D/M canned food, which she's been on for a week now. We start insulin tonight.

4. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

It looks as though we too will be on Lantus. 1 "unit" 2 times per day.

5. Melly

Melly Member

We're on D/M and Lantus as well - we started the food on Friday, the insulin Monday night, and are doing our first blood glucose curve today.

I believe there are a variety of resources here for sourcing out better prices on Lantus if yours is expensive. Quite a few Americans have been able to find other routes for ordering it in!

6. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Thank you. The Lantus Pens (far cheaper than the vial $84 vs $300) weren't too bad.

7. Melly

Melly Member

The cost of insulin in the US blows my mind. If it does become too much, do check out alternative sources. To give you a reference point, I pay $85 plus tax (Canadian) for a 10ml vial of Lantus at my veterinarian.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Wow, that's an amazing difference in cost! Hoping this is the only time she'll ever need it, but I will definitely do further research should it become a lifetime treatment. Best wishes to you and your furry family!

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Check out Cat Info for information on the protein, fat, and carb calorie values in various cat foods, including a number of over the counter foods suitable for feeding a diabetic without the high prescription cost and just as good, or even better, ingredients. We go by percent of calories, not percent of weight, from protein, fat, and carbohydrate, keeping the % of carb calories under 10%. One US example is most Friskies pates (except Mixed Grill). Another is Fancy Feast Classic pates

10. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Thank you. This weekend I added Fancy Feast into the mix as she wasn't eating the canned DM. Vet also recommended 1.5 cans of the DM (large can) and Bojangles would never eat that much in one day. We're working on eliminating the DM dry, and about 1/3-1/2 can DM and 1 or more cans of Fancy Feast a day. I've never used Friskies, but will look into that brand more as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.