Bone Daddy, you there?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just checked your SS and would highly reccomend checking kitties numbers by +3..that was a big shot for a much lower # and would hate to see her go too low this early in your learning about things. Are you prepared to give a high carb food if she dips to fast or too low?
    updating...shot 3u's in the amps 400something and 2u's in the pmps at 212 an hour after eatting so glucose could have been lower...newbie here so watching for possible hypo.
    i'm signing off soon so keep an eye out for him, it looks like he tests at 10 pm his time (texas)

2. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

I am new also, but I'm interested and sympathetic to your story, Bone Daddy. How are you? What is the latest news? Hope your Duke is doing well. My Pixie is sleeping on my girlfriend's desk right now. Just tried a new insulin tonight (Levemir) so am stuck up rather late to monitor him.

-Mike 'n' Pixie

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Thank you for checking in with us.

PMP +5 98

After we test, we give Duke an All Naturals treat (lot's of carbs, but small and the bribe works). Duke was hungry so I gave him some low carb chicken wet food. I"m thinking the food will keep his BS in line overnight. This morning was the first time I tested Dukie by myself. It actually went quite well.

It's funny in that I'm not a newbie by any standards when it comes to relying on a vet to manage Duke's diabetes. Taking him in for emergencies, for monitoring, nursing him back to health when we get him home only to have him crash again, for etc. etc. etc. I'm afraid I have more experience with that than I care to have and that goes double for Duke I'm sure.

I am a newbie when it comes to monitoring Duke at home. This board and all of your help and hard work is a godsend and reminds us we are not alone. And even though I am scared silly about making a mistake, I at least feel like I am in control of my own and Duke's destinty. I wish I found it sooner or better yet that my vet had told me there was an online support group.

I am angry that I was not instructed how to home test when Duke was diagnosed with uncontrolled blood sugar. I angry that almost 4 months later our vet said he would order a meter for us only after I finally learned to ask without it being a question. I'm angry that I was told they would have to order one and would charge us ONLY cost +10% - oh and when it finally came in we were told there was a price increase? Why didn't he just tell us to buy a meter at Walmart like I did after I took Duke home with no intention of ever bringing him back (ok all cynicism aside)?

Knowing what I know now and reviewing Duke's struggle since he was diagnosed in February, I believe Dukers may have gone hypo on us in the past. Just last week he crashed (near dead last Tuesday). My wife called me at working crying saying that Duke looked terrible and she made an appoint to take him to the vet. When I got home Duke was lying on the floor, listless with vacant eyes. It took no more that 2 seconds for my to grab the honey and smear it on his lips. When he got to the vet his BS was only 135.

We have a new vet that is fine with home testing. She makes follow up phone calls and I can stop in and ask questions for free. When I spoke to the tech she was telling me how to do a home BG curve. It pains me to think that things may have been so different if we started here. But that's all water under the bridge.

We just have to keep Duke eating so he can put some weight back on his skin and bones. And you know that through it all he still loves us as much as we love him (although he does eye me suspiciously sometimes since I am the bad cop that does all the procedures that he doesn't really like. My wife is the good cop and provides the needed soothing and comfort.)

We'll Dukie looks great so I'm off to bed. Thanks again for looking over us.

4. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

+5 98 sounds great & sounds like you are on the right track! I have faith in Duke! He's been through a lot, but I believe your love gives him strength... so keep on giving it! You can't overdose him on love! :)

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.