Boomer - morning vet update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi LLer's

I'm renting a condo for Boomer. Last night PMPS was 71. After puking up a storm late last night, stopping eating after dinner (he normally eats all the time) and acting different, I took him into my vet for a bunch of tests. The blood (CBC and T4) work was normal - nothing out of range. The x-ray and ultrasound show thickened gi tract and tons of food in his stomach. The vet thinks he's got stomach motility issues. She's keeping him over night to see if he passes the food. He'll get a second x-ray. They couldn't see the pancreas in either test, so I have no info on it. Is there a pancreas level in the blood test? If there was it was good.

She mentioned that he should eat a hypoallergenic diet and suggested two foods, both prescription and one DRY! The wet is 34 carbs. She says I need to be more flexible about what I feed him because he needs to eat. She also says that "he's not the type of cat that will get diabetes back from eating higher carb foods" because she thinks he got the diabetes from the prednisone he was on. Easy for her to say. She thinks Reglan may help his stomach motility issues.

So I don't know if he's got IBD or what it is - whatever it is he's had it all his life off an on. I'm gonna assume that she'll suggest an endoscopy at some point if nothing gets better.

I will pick him up tomorrow night after work and his second x-ray. If you think of any questions I should ask her, please let mw know. I'm so frazzled.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: Boomer staying over night at vets

Traci:

You might want to get hold of all the labs, x-rays, etc. and maybe set up a consult with Dr. Lisa. Given her expertise with feline nutrition, she might be a good resource.

In the meantime, look at what the content of the food the vet recommended is. My guess is that it's novel protein sources things like venison, duck, etc. that aren't commonly used in cat food. There may be commercial alternatives that are lower in carbs.

3. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Poor Boomer!!! I'm so sorry to read this Traci! Not sure exactly what stomach motility is but it doesn't sound like a fun thing to have. Sending healing vines to Boomer and a big ol (((((Traci)))) to you.

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending you lots of support for Boomer spending the night at the vets and yes most all bloodowork panels that I have worked with all have pancreas levels unless you are only doing like a pre-sx workup and it sounds like he had a complete panel which should have included it. Let us know how he does overnight thinking about you and Boomer and yes he does need to eat this is very very true :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: since cats can get sick from not eating I think we all know this though

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Traci, We're sending getbetter vines and "eat some food" snowflakes to Boomer. We hope that his problem can be straightened out and that he'll be home soon.

Ella & Stu

6. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I think there are some other members whose kitties have food sensitivity issues. Perhaps there's something natural you can give him to improve motility. I know they have drugs, not sure how safe they are. Doesn't soft food move through more easily? Surprised they would suggest dry, but glad he ate for them.

7. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Eeyore is so sorry to hear Boomer is not well...and I'm sorry, too. Sending lots of love, energy, and purrs your way.

Best-
    Michele

8. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Boomer is poorly. I'm sending healing vines and energies to Boomer and peace and comfort to you.

9. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Boomer buddy, Lanky is also sending you good vibes. Lanky's Mom prays lots, so Mr. Boomer will be getting some extra special help too! Once, one of my sisters, Sweet Pea, was doing the throw-up routine & it turned out to be a cyst on her pancreas. Very treatable & a total success. So good vibes are on their way now!

10. Traci and Boomer

Hi Sienne-

That's a great idea! I'll do that at work tomorrow. I can tell she doesn't really know everything about this, she's just throwing out the foods she's heard of and they prescription of course.
    Food trials aren't easy if the cat is SICK already and you need him to eat. It's not just as simple as getting one or two foods and think he's gonna eat JUST THAT for a few weeks. Yeah, right!

11. Traci and Boomer

Wow Susan - my cat Biscuit had a cyst on his pancreas too and he didn't make it. I'm glad to hear that other cats have made it. Thanks for the prayers, we need them. I feel like it's a full time job looking out for his care even while at the vet!

12. Traci and Boomer

You'd think soft food moves through easier, but I see it when it comes back up and it doesn't move in his belly. It comes back partially undigested and it sits in there all night until he pukes. For a while this stopped - maybe the budesonide doesn't work on this? She also suggested Lukeran which I know Logan is on. I've given it to Biscuit too. I don't know if there's something natural to help motility, but I'll put that on my question list.

13. Traci and Boomer

THanks for clearing that up for me Lisa. So I guess his pancreas is fine then according to the blood. I wonder if that mean this incident ISN"T a pancreatitis attack. Another question for my list! Thanks! I also wonder if that means an fpli test isn't needed?

14. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

I don't think Cosmo's ever had lots of food in the tummy when he was having/is having a pancreatitis attack. Otherwise, symptoms sound consitent with pancreatitis. (Of course, that's the condition I am familiar with... no experience with food allergies or IBD here).

Cosmo's symptoms of p-itis:
    swollen/distended belly (starting several days before attack)
    licking of lips (right before attack)
    drinking more water (starting about 2 days prior to attack)
    vomiting (during attack)
    lack of appetite (during attack)
    no interest in treats (during attack)
    hiding/not snuggly (during attack)

if you're worried about pancreatitis, they do a fpli test (feline pancreatitis lipase?), but they should take the blood during the attack to get accurate results. I think there is another test that checks for p-itis, but I can't remember what it is...

((Boomer))

15. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear boomer has to spend the night at the vets. But I'm sure this is what is best for him, even though you probably just want your little man home! We are all hoping for boomer to feel better soon!

16. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Traci, just wanted to send hugs, and many vines. I hope you get an accurate diagnosis and a good treatment plan soon.

17. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Our kitties are seeing the vet this week. Hope it goes well, we're thinking about you over here cat_pet_icon

18. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

(((Traci)))

I'm sorry to hear about Boomer at the vets, I hope and pray everything will work out ok.
    Sending healing vines and good positive thoughts for Boomer.

19. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Traci)))))) so sorry to hear about Boomer staying at the vets, I hope they can find out what is wrong with him, poor guy! Sending hugs your way and healing vines Boomer's way!!!!

20. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Traci

I don't think anything points right to pancreatitis here. He's puking because his stomach isn't emptying normally, it sounds like. What medications is he on chronically? Was he diagnosed with IBD before? BTW, there is a difference between vomiting and regurgitation -- did you witness any of the events? Vomiting involves the pre-puke glug-glug stomach pinching. Regurgitation is more of a sudden "splat" event, no pre-event wind up noises and the animal may seem mildly to terribly taken by surprise.

Your vet is talking about allergies because IBD and gastric (stomach) inflammation can cause gastric distension and delayed motility. This just means that food isn't moving on into the intestine for digestion. [Contrary to popular belief, most digestion takes place in the small intestine; that's how people can survive gastric bypass surgery!] I don't know that dry food vs. wet food matters here. Some drugs that can help move food from the stomach to the intenstine include Reglan (metoclopramide) and ranitidine (forget the trade name, maybe Zantac?).

I agree with your vet in that you need to feed whatever he can digest, but I am not certain that he won't digest his usual food any more. (Caveat: your vet knows his medical history and I do not, so take a grain of salt with my thoughts here ... ) I'm not familiar enough with his history to know whether or not allergies seem likely, or if IBD has already been established. I'm also not sure that one episode of delayed gastric emptying requires a whole upturning of his life, if there is no prior history of issues. What can happen is that, for whatever reason, his stomach emptying was delayed but then he stuffed more food in anyway, his stomach became a little distended and slow to move and then he tried to stuff more food in anyway, and his stomach was even less able to move because now it was very distended. The cat gets "stuck" and basically needs to give the stomach a rest for things to get back to normal.

If your kitty free-feeds and has a history of gluttony, you may need to start doing smaller more frequent meals. For the next few days, you may want to break up his meals even though you're at work; a tablespoon the moment you get up, another tablespoon after the shower, and the final spoonful as you leave, for example.

One last thought. He doesn't look to be long-haired in your pic of him, but even short-haired cats can have the rare GH problem. Rather than passing hair through their GI tract as usual, the fur builds up in the stomach and they end up with a Giant Hairball that is indigestible and too big to move one way or the other. I have seen more than one of these disgusting things (including one composed of human hair, which was somehow more gross) pulled out of a cat stomach. The cats always have distended stomachs and an apparent lack of motility which is really due to the fact that the GH gets too big to budge. It's a long shot, so just keep it in mind in case this issue persists which it hopefully won't.

Keep us posted!

21. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I hope you and Boomer can find some health and peace very soon!

I'm very intrigued by the talk of vomiting v. regurgitation and the like. As I've told you before Traci, we have some vomiting issues with Max. Thanks to Jess's explaination, I can say that his problem is regurgitation 9 out of 10 times. It seems to catch him by surprise, and usually happens shortly after eating (which is ooooohhhhh so pleasant to clean up, especially when it's all over my daughter's doll!).

Jess, do you know of an FD-safe treatment for hairballs? We've tried vaseline, but it doesn't do much. Max loves to be brushed, but it irritates his skin. My other cat, Truman, hates being brushed. Since we switched to entirely wet food we're having hairballs at least once a week, sometimes twice, and it's definitely problematic since it happens where my kids may find it before we do (or as mentioned, the vomit is all over their toys).

22. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hope Boomer did well overnight be sure to let us know after you get him home today :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

23. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Hey Traci, just getting caught up. So sorry Boomer had to stay overnight and isn't feeling well.

Logan had motility issues, as well, a few weeks ago. On the quick ultra sound his internist did, she saw quite a bit of food in his tummy although he'd eaten very little that morning and the night before. We put him back on metoclopramide (reglan) 3 times a day. It can be given every 6 hours so you could give it to him 4 times a day. We did 3: AMPS, +6 and PMPS. It really did seem to help him. We're now giving it to him just twice a day. The vet gave him a shot of it before we left that day and he wanted to eat something a couple hours later. I really do think it made a big difference.

Logan's internist said the motility issues could be caused by inflammation in the small intestines, inflammation in the stomach or pancreas, or he could have an ulcer in his stomach. Apparently, ulcers are pretty common with kitties on pred.

Logan has been on Leukeran for a few weeks and we think it's finally helping his IBD. It is a powerful drug, but he didn't respond to high levels of pred so we had to try it. I admit I'm not crazy about giving it to him -it's poison, after all- but, it does seem to be helping. And so far, his blood work shows he's tolerating it ok.

You are so right about the diet trial! It's impossible to get a kitty to eat the same food for 2-3 weeks when he's not feeling well. Any food tried during a flare up can pretty much be written off the food list. The EVO 95% flavors are low carb (very high in fat, though) and have limited ingredients - mainly just meat. They have beef, chicken/turkey, duck and venison. Dr Lisa said most kitties are not allergic to chicken so we've stuck with using chicken (as well as some rabbit, duck) since it seems to be Logan's favorite.

Hope Boomer starts to feel better soon. I know how frustrating and discouraging this can be. We're thinking of you both.

24. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Traci))

Max and I are sending lots of hugs and feel better vines for Boomer.
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

25. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

((((((Traci)))))) so sorry to hear about Boomer. I know you have had this problem for a while and hope that you find a treatable cause soon.

I am not an expert by any means, but your mention of lack of motility and thickened intestinal walls made me remember a problem Cleo (GA) had years ago. A year before she had had severe abdominal injuries (she was lost for several days and I think someone kicked her.) It turned out that she had adhesions in her intestines (they had fused together) and could no longer contract properly to move food along. It was the result of scarring. I also had a human friend who had a similar problem after abdominal surgery. Has Boomer ever had an abdominal injury or surgery? You could ask if there could be something similar in the thickened intestinal walls. This is just a thought for a place to look for a cause. Boomers symptoms sound similar to Cleo's, although she didn't have them as long before becoming ill.

I hope you get some answers (with good outcome chances) soon. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: ❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

26. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

{{{Traci}}} Sending lots and lots of snowflakes and vines to Boomer.

27. Deb & Spot

Hi Tracy! Just dropping in to say that I am thinking about you and Boomer today. BTW....I was thinking last night (yes, sometimes I think and actually have thoughts that make sense, lol)....In October, when Spot got sick...he had a problem with his tummy. Actually he had a few things wrong, but one thing that stood out was the vet said that his stomach wasn't making any noises and therefore wasn't processing his food. He didn't feel like eating because his tummy was full and when he did eat a little bit, he threw it up because there was to much food in his tummy. I'm not sure at this point exactly what she called this (I can go back to that condo if you wish, but can't right now, I'm at work), but she said it could be caused by stress or by throwing up. She gave him some meds (again, name is in that particular condo) and he felt better....This may also be written on the comments part of my ss, just can't go there right now.

Anyway....continued feel better vines for Boomer and more (((Tracy))) hugs for you!!

28. Traci and Boomer

29. Traci and Boomer

Jess-

I tried to answer your post but it was so long that I couldn't see what I was typing and everything was going a little crazy moving around and stuff.

They think he has IBD but he's not had a biopsy. I think this stomach thing has happened before with the food not going through.

Can the stomach not passing food through have anything to do with his intestines being thickened or is it a separate issue? Do I need to ask for a Fpli because they didn't see his pancreas on the tests? Are there any other tests he needs while he's in there?

Thanks for your help!!!!

30. Kelly & Logan

Logan's internist told us it could be from the intestinal inflammation (thickening, lesions, etc). She said it could also be from a separate issue. We think it was from the inflammation.

31. Traci and Boomer

Kelly-

So you're saying that his intestinal wall being thickened CAUSED the food in the stomach not to move through? I hadn't thought of it that way!

32. Kelly & Logan

That's what our internist told us. The metoclopramide seems to have things moving better. The Leukeran probably also has decreased the inflammation in the small intestines so that's helping things move along. Logan is still eating - hasn't had the appetite stimulant in a week and a half.

33. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer staying over night at vets - mini update

I called the vet and she's operating right now but will call me later at work. All I got was "x-rays look good" and I have no idea what that means. Did he pass the food in his stomach? no clue. I don't like the person answering the phone over there today - she's clueless. I'm looking for an update on my cat - she should connect me to the techs in the room with him but she's too dumb to offer that. I want to know how he is doing eating, etc. I'll have to wait I guess.

In the meantime, I've made an appointment with an IM doctor (Dr. White) at a referral hospital for tomorrow night at 5. Dr. White comes highly recommended by a vet friend of Dave's. They will start calling my vet harassing them for paperwork right now, LOL. I can also pick up stuff when I go pick up Boomer. Not sure if they will have actual films for me (xrays) or if they will be on disk. I be stunned if they were modern enough to have them on a disk for me.

I'm going to look up the ingredients of the food she's recommending and then compare them to food I think are better. I also got the supplement samples from Instinct today in the mail. That's an option too.

34. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((((Traci)))) So much to think about! I am sorry to hear about little Boomer having to spend the night at the vet. Did you even sleep last night? Sending healing vines to Boomer and praying that you get to the bottom of his issue. HUGS! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

35. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Sadly, not all hospitals have digital x-rays. Both the ones we go to don't, neither does the oncologist. But our specialty hospital does. Our primary vet says he's waiting for the price to come down; says he can't justify the cost right now.

But, even if your hospital doesn't have it, they should be able to give you the films. You'll have to return them after the appt, they are the property of your vet's. But they shouldn't give you any grief about signing them out for a consult. We do it all the time.

Good luck with the appt tomorrow.

36. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

(((Traci))) (((Boomer)))

I am so sorry to hear that Boomer is having these issues and that he had to spend the night. Sending healing vines and good thoughts your way.

37. Traci and Boomer

Hi Kelly-thanks, this is very helpful. THe vet mentioned BOTH meds you are giving Logan: Reglan and Leukaran. I've given Leukaran before to my other cat. If it makes him better I don't care what it is! I'm excited to get it!!!

38. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Traci & Boomer too.. reading & keeping up to date on everything. You sure have your hands full.. I know others with experience are helping & the rest of us are praying, sending healing & positive thoughts your way. Hang in there.. you are amazing & that is the very reason Boomer will get thru this!! :YMHUG:
    I know you miss Boomer from him being gone last night.. but please let him come to Baby's party for just a bit, k?

39. Traci and Boomer

OMG Nicole!!!!! I haven't been to see your video-go to your party!!!!!! I'll go right over. I can't beleive it - what was I thinking????

40. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer staying over night at vets - spoke to vet finally

I'm leaving 15 minutes to pick up my little guy. He's not puked today they said.
    To be honest, the vet is being cranky and I can tell she's sick of me. She's overworked and I'm asking lots of questions and not agreeing with everything she's saying. She's being a *****.
    Apparently the food did go through his stomach over night, and that's good, but I don't know why it did. She didn't give him a pill of any kind. So the x-rays were good and he did eat today. What does that tell me??? I don't know!
    She thinks he needs biopsies of his stomach and intestines to know what they are dealing with. I think that will have to be done too.
    She says I should start him on flagyl and batril (together) for a "suspected bactrerial overgrowth". Doesn't this affect BG's? She said he'd have to take this for a couple MONTHS!!!
    She says I can try zophran or reglan for vomiting. She thinks I should try the high carb food and not care that it's high carb. She says I have no evidence that low carb food helped get him off insulin, that being off pred is what did it. She's mad that I'm asking for a referral for tomorrow night for a referral hospital, as she's got very sick cats coming in and simply doesn't have the time. She had to get off the phone to operate. This is the type of "service" I get. All the vets there get frazzled and *****y. I try to explain this to Dave and he doesn't understand. I hope I come away from there tonight having SOME CLUE as to what to do for him.

41. Traci and Boomer

Oh, and I DO have an appointment tomorrow with the Internal Medicine vet to get her opinion. I don't like the idea of treating him for something "suspected" for 2-3 months in addition to giving him 2 other meds. My GOD!!!!

I feel like I paid more money for the second xray to find out nothing. They don't type report I don't think. I just have to remember what she said. Sorry. I'm so annoyed. And I hate confrontation. Especially with doctors. YUCK!!!!

42. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hi Traci so sorry you are frustrated, I would be too, I hate when vets can be insensitive! Scrabble was on baytril for 2 weeks and it didn't affect his numbers. Hope Boomer gets better soon and I am sure he is going to be so happy to see you and be home! Hugs to you!

43. Sarah and Buzz

Geez, Traci, you sure haven't had an easy time of it today. (((Traci))) It sounds like your vet is definitely used to clients who simply accept what she says and never ask any questions, but that doesn't mean it's wrong of YOU to do that (as you know). We all have busy days or days when even one more thing to do is too much, but the fact remains that you are still the client and you are paying her. Perhaps if she would take a different tone, or ask you kindly if you could wait to get the referral tomorrow, it would be different.

I know you're kind of stuck now because Boomer is sick, but do you think it would help to put your feelings in an e-mail? This might allow you to think out what you want to say and how you want to say it, instead of reacting in the moment, and it might allow her to read it when she has time, rather than when she is stressed about having to go to surgery. Please understand I am not condoning her brushing you off, just trying to think of a way to make you feel better about the situation and assess it objectively (as much so as possible, anyway).

The bottom line is that she doesn't know WHAT will or won't make Boomer stay off insulin, and it seems a little demeaning that she suggested feeding him HC food won't do anything. I understand he needs to eat, but she should be willing to work with you to find a solution that will have him eating AND have you not worrying about all the carbs and nutrition. At the very least, she should take your feelings into account or be willing to provide scientific evidence as to why your way won't work, and it doesn't sound as if she's doing that.

I am so sorry you're going through this. Sending healing vines to Boomer and calming vines to you.

44. PeterDevonMocha

(((((((Traci))))))) (((((((Boomer)))))))

I don't have any advice on any of this medical stuff. But I wanted to let you know traci, I think you are doing an incredible job dealing with all of this. I know it's hard to deal with and I know you miss boomer, and I know boomer misses you, but I don't doubt for one second that you are doing everything you can to get boomer better. Boomer is lucky to have you for his momma.

45. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Traci.. I just want to chime in & say Baytril (like Michelle said) did not affect Baby's #s.. in fact her entire OTJ Trial was on an antibiotic! All but the last day anyway!!
    I am soooooo sorry you are having to deal with all this & I wish I had solid medical advice or even educated experience but I just dont. I do have all positive prayers headed your way though :YMHUG:

46. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread from so many great posters.
    Snowflakes for answers.
    (((((((((((((((Boomer)))))))))))))))))

47. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

(((Traci))))

Sending a big hug for you and anti-frustration vines and continue to stand up for yourself vines too! and.... last but not least snow flakes for Boomer!

48. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The way I read Traci's note was that she was wondering if a bacterial overgrowth would raise BG not that the ABs would. All I can say is that logically, that would seem to be the case but not always.

Try to keep in mind that you do have wonderful veterinary resources in the Boston area. CynCyn and Squeem both use Angell Memorial (great reputation) and you have Tufts in the area. They may not be as convenient as your current vet but there's a much greater chance you will get a far better quality of care. You are able to vote with your feet and with your cat carrier!

I would also point out that you are not being confrontational. You are being assertive. There's a big difference. You are the consumer - you are paying for a service. You have the right to ask questions and get a thorough answer to those questions. If the vet is pressed for time, she is very capable of asking if she can set up a time at the end of her day to talk to you at length. That would be professional. Having you leave feeling confused and that you were being charged for an unnecessary service is unprofessional and unbusinesslike. You and Boomer deserve better treatment.

49. Kathy and Kitty

Traci, Sienne makes so much sense. You are an outstanding mama bean, and you have a right to be treated as the knowledgeable and committed parent you are.

I'm really glad you are getting a specialist. I've had my general vet tell me I'd be wasting MY time to ask them to solve more complicated problems.

(((((Traci))))) Boomer is so lucky to have you.

50. Traci and Boomer

Hi LL-

We're back home and I think all your vines and snowflakes helped me do a decent job with the vet. The vet and I had a long conversation and she showed me his xrays. She doesn't think it's p-titis and doesn't think I need a FPLI right now. She thinks that all his issues are stemming from food allergies. The stomach motality issue and the thickened intestines she thinks are from him being allergic to something, especially since he's had this since off and on since he was a baby. He has bad flair ups every once in a while. He also had a TON of gas as well as a huge stomach when I brought him in. It's since gone away and he's acting normal again! No masses were found. His stomach and all organs are normal. The thing I was talking about with the suspected bacterial overgrowth in the intestines: I didn't want to give 2 antibiotics at once if it would mess with his BG's. I'll see what the IM person says. Seems like you guys had decent luck with baytril.

I'm giving him reglan BID and Budesonide one time a day again, not two. She thinks the hypoallergenic food (ZD) is better than a limited ingredient diet-the molecules are smaller and that makes a difference. I got a few cans if ZD and of course he wouldn't eat it. :lol: It's $3 for a 5.5 oz can. The receptionist slipped it to me for free.

Vet thinks I can try a food trial or do a biopsy. Even if I do a biopsy I'm still going to have to figure out what to feed him. A biopsy would be $1200. Tonight I paid over $1,000. I have the x-rays in hand and another vet in the hospital is going to write up his referral for the internal med person tomorrow. This woman comes highly recommended. I hope she has something to offer becuase it's going to cost $140. Apt is tomorrow night.

I would still like to try a raw/lightlly cooked diet and would like a vet to support me during the process. He will eat lightly boiled turkey. But he could be allergic to turkey! :roll: So theoretically the regaln will keep him from puking so he can gain weight back and the budesonide is supposed to keep his intestines form getting inflamed. If I ever find what out what he's allergic to then the goal is to take him off the meds!

51. Traci and Boomer

Sarah- you're so sweet. Yeah sending an email would be great....only...hold on...they don't have email!!!! :lol: I'm lucky they have computers!!!!

52. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: Boomer's home!!!!

((((((Traci))))) So glad Boomer is home now!! :mrgreen: I know that alot of times they recommend a protein source that is foreign to the cats when they suspect allergies. There is a rabbit raw made by Natures Variety. I believe Nicole used to feed it to Baby. Just a thought. Good luck at the "referral" Sending feel good vines to you and Boomer. :YMHUG:

53. Sarah and Buzz

So glad Boomer is home and that you were able to have a good talk with the vet. I hope the appointment tomorrow brings you more answers. (((Traci)))

54. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Boomer is home and feeling better. Sorry you don't have a lot of answers yet, but the specialist should help with that. I think there's a lot of trial and error involved in food trial, but it is probably well worth it to try. I don't have experience with that, but I know people who have and I know they have found alot written about IBD. Get on the internet and see what you can find. Good luck!

55. Nina and KB

Glad your boy is home, and that the vet was able to take some time to review things with you. Sounds like you left on decent terms, which is good. I hope you get some answers soon.

KB has had baytril, it didn't bother him. I gave him a probiotic while he was on it as it's a powerful AB.

I hope you can find what doesn't agree with him. I'll bet he's a happy boy to be home again!

56. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

(((((Hugs)))) to you and Boomer so glad he is home and hope that you get this figured out soon and find out exactly whats going on with your boy have they thought about allergy testing him? Just wondered Do Lou was tested years ago we did the pollen/grass one but Greer Labs has a food panel as well and so does Heska Labs ? Just a thought?

57. Traci and Boomer

Thank GOD for the internet, right? How would I get by in life?
    There ARE a lot of food options out there for this type of issue, I've seen them. I just have to get him to eat them more than one time. You know how it is. The two that he seems to like the best are grain-free Sophisticat brand sliced chicken and sliced tuna at .38 cents a can. The thing is that I don't know if he's allergic to grain or chicken or tuna.

The doctor that did Boomer's ultrasound said that he recommends tube feeding them for a couple weeks if they won't eat the food you're trying to feed them, that eventually they will start to eat it. I can't imagine doing that. Would that cause a food aversion? The z/d food doesn't have a flavor there is only one option. I can't imagine feeding $3 a can cat food to him for the rest of his life. Doesn't this sound crazy? I guess if I was absolutely desperate I'd try this, but it sounds brutal.

PS - he just settled in my lap and he's gazing up at me. He's been fussy about eating but he has eaten. I just love my little Boom Boom and I'm SO glad he's home. It's just me and him so it was sad without him here.

58. Traci and Boomer

Lisa-
    You're kidding! No one has mentioned ANYTHNG about allery testing. There's a food panel allery test? OMG!!!! I need to look into this. No one has mentioned this before to me. It's almost sounds too good to be true. It sounds so easy. Do you know anything more about it? Would they just test him and I'd find out what food he's allergic to? Holy crap! My problems would be solved without putting him through an expensive and invasive biopsy.

59. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

YAY! He's home!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Ok. now that I've cheered you two on...

WHAT? YOU"RE IN THE BOSTON AREA AND GETTING CRAP SERVICE LIKE THAT?

1) Angell Memorial: Dr Brum is the bestest internal medicine vet EVER. This man has gone ABOVE and BEYOND to help me care for my lemon. I am in fairly consistent contact with his assistants, vet techs, and him via email and phone. He pulled my Cosmo through our 8 day ER visit (when Cosmo was initially diagnosed), through the eye tumor, through... well. A LOT. This man even emailed me this Sunday, just to say he was glad Cosmo was feeling better and that he hoped we enjoyed the sunny warm day here in Boston. On a SUNDAY.

Out of all the vets we've seen at Angell, I only disliked ONE. Everyone else (and we've seen... um. 3 internal medicine vets, one cardiologist, one oncologist, and several emergency vets) was TERRIFIC.

2) Woburn: Mass Vet Referral Hospital: I LOVE THEM TOO! they're just far away. I took Cosmo when he needed an ophthalmologist and loved Dr Cottril plus all the staff there.

3) general vet in Wellesley: Dr Cosimini at Cat's Hospital. He hasn't seen Cosmo in over 2 years, but still calls to follow up when Angell notifies them that he had testing done. When I take Danger in for his bi-annual, they ask how Cosmo is doing and let me ask random questions. he coached me through a harrowing morning when Cosmo's BG was super low for AMPS. He's terrific for general stuff and admits that Cosmo needs more specialized care than he can provide. I love a man who can admit his limits.

if you want to chat about any of these vets, PM me!

60. PeterDevonMocha

I'm so glad that boomer is home!! I bet he is loving being home right now too!

61. Kathy and Kitty

I'm so glad you got this vet to talk it through with you - and good for you for getting a specialist opinion too. I hope you get some good ideas.

62. Traci and Boomer

Hi Everyone-

I'm going to continue this post on Health because I don't want to clog up Lantus. I've had a rough morning. Lethargy, not acting like himself, not eating. I force-fed him and 20 minutes later he threw it all up. I stayed home from work again. Miraculously he seems to have perked up a bit and he ate a little food. To be continued on Health. I'd appreciate you visiting over there too. Thanks.

63. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Re: Boomer's home- still struggling

(((((Traci & Boomer))))))

I'm glad he's home. I don't have anything productive to add, just that I'm glad he's home, and that you have some options to explore. I hope he'll start eating better soon, and keep it down!

64. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Traci - I can't offer any helkp with any of this - but did want to offer support. I, and Mannie, will keep you and Boomer in our thoughts, positive thoughts. I hope all goes well, and that you get the answers you need. I know how frustrating this can all be.

65. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Traci
    I'm sorry for the hard time you are going through with Boomer and with vets. Flagyl is pretty commonly used as a treatment for IBD. Bear and my IBD/lymphoma civie both take it. I don't think it is a contributor to Bear's BG's. He also takes Baytril (not for IBD), but I'm less convinced about its impact on BG. He has had no bad side effects from it. Blindness is a possible risk from Baytril (but Bear is already blind, so not a risk for him).

66. Ann & Tess GA

So sorry this is still dragging on for you and Boomer. You've gotten some good options w/ test option and other vets. You are in our thoughts, ❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

67. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer - getting biopsy tomorrow

I liked the IM doc. She was young, confident, smart, funny and straight to the point. She said we really don't know what's wrong with him because he's never had his small intestine biopsied. The two outcomes are inflamation or lymphoma. She will better be able to help us if she knows exactly what he has instead guessing. I'm dropping him off tomorrow morning and picking up tomorrow night. I'll have the results Monday. SHe's also doing a TLI, Cobalmin and Folate test since it was very low on the last test a few years ago, she wants to see where it's at now. Apparently this test will also let us know if there is a bacterial overgrowth that needs to be treated.

I asked about lymphoma and she said cats with that have 6-8 months. I was shocked.

I couldn't believe how quick this all happened. I decided right there that this had to be done and Dave agreed. He met me there. So no eating after midnight. He's eaten decently today which is good. He's so tiny though. He's now below 8 pounds. I'm jealous of everyone who thinks they have a problem because their cat is overweight.

68. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Traci I'm wishing so many good things for Boomer, I hope and pray it goes very well.
    (((hugs)))

69. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Sending you support and HUGS for Boomer tomorrow :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

70. Deb & Spot

(((((Tracy and Boomer))))) Sending positive and healthy vines to Boomer!!

71. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

(((Tracy Boomer))) Reiki, white light, snowflakes all headed your way along with prayers.

72. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

All good thoughts, prayers, and healing vines are being sent to your boy. Traci, we will all be with you tomorrow. :YMHUG:

Ella & Stu

73. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

I am just now seeing this Traci but this is a blood test so you could ask about it tomorrow when you take him in since the TLI test is also a serum test as well since I send them off to Texas A&M all the time where I work as a lab tech at my vets. But yes both heska and Greer labs do allergy testing you can google both of these and Greer is cheaper then Heska.

74. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Traci it is absolutely not true that cats with lymphoma have 6-8 months. It does depend in part on both the location of the lymphoma (e.g., the prognosis for lymphoma in the kidneys is more dire!) and the type of lymphoma (small cell vs large cell). Quincy was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma in his GI tract in April 2008, and knock on wood, he's still here with us! And Bear Man's Linda has another cat, Teddy, who's had lymphoma for I think 4 years now. What's key are an early diagnosis and aggressive treatment. For Quincy, that meant leukeran and prednisone.

So don't think a lymphoma diagnosis is the end of the world. With Boomer's young age, it very well could be his IBD getting worse rather than lymphoma. Some suggest that GI lymphoma is IBD gone way bad (because the chronic inflammation gets so bad the cells mutate and become cancerous - or at least that's how I understand it), so hopefully your care for Boomer thus far has prevented that from happening. I suspect in Quincy's case, he had IBD and I didn't know about it until he started vomiting with increased frequency and it had mutated into cancer. He had a biopsy, and his large intestine had IBD, while it looked like the lymphoma was around his stomach/small intestine (the tissue from a lymph node in that area was actually what had cancerous cells).

It's better to know what you're dealing with, so it will be very helpful to have this biopsy. Hopefully with Boomer's young age he will recover from the surgery rather quickly. I know Kelly's Logan had a hard time getting back, in part because of the infection around his feeding tube. And Quincy was a little slow in his recovery too, but he was 11 at the time and rather fat, which apparently means the anesthesia takes a longer time to work its way out.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

75. Nina and KB

((( Traci and Dave ))) Things are at least moving quickly for your boy, you should have some answers soon.

76. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

((Traci))

Good luck tomorrow. Please see Cyn & Cosmo's post above.

77. Kathy and Kitty

Wish I could reach out and give you a real hug. Sending all good thoughts for tomorrow. You are taking such great care of Boomer; he is so lucky to have you watch over him.

78. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

SENDINg Healing vines to Boomer & snowflakes for a good outcome to test tomorrow! HUGS~!

79. Linda and Bear Man

Wishing Boomer all the best with the biopsy. If it comes back with lymphoma, there is treatment. My civie, Teddy, was given 2 - 6 months to live, and that was over five years ago.
    (((Traci))) (((Boomer)))

80. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Praying that things turn out well with the biopsy this morning. Many hugs to both of you. I'll be thinking of you.

81. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I hope you get the answers you need today Traci! We'll be thinking of you and Boomer, and hopefully he'll bounce back from the biopsy like nothing happened. Hugs!

82. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Traci & Boomer))))) Thinking of you two today...hope all goes well...sending lots of HUGS!!

83. Jason & Belle (GA)

Jason & Belle (GA) Member

Traci,

I hope the biopsy results give you the answers you need. IBD and lymphoma are treatable, so those answers will get Boomer on the road to recovery.
    I'm pulling for you both.

Jason

84. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

Sending healing prayers.

85. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer - biopsy may be aborted HELP!

Things have just changed. The vet called and said that the area in his intestines that are affected is the deeper layer and that a scope would be a waste of time - he needs surgery which will keep him in the hospital.

Getting this test doesn't even solve my problem. We could give the SAME pill he's prescribed whether he's got inflamation or lymphoma. I don't think I want to do this surgery. She's working up an estimate for me - god knows how much it will cost. OR I could have my vet do it - it may be cheaper - but that's still a HUGE procedure just to find out what he has.

BTW - this vet disagrees with what the other vet says who did the ultrasound. She re-did the ultrasound today because he has a fever and thinks the findings are different. The first guy only thought the infected area was the areas she could scope. She disagrees.

I'm having a melt-down. I have no idea what to do but I really don't want to do this to him. I feel like it may not be worth it. What do you guys think?????

86. Kelly & Logan

I'm so sorry, Traci. This is a hard decision. When we were making the same decision back in January, we tried to weigh the pros and cons. We decided it was better to know for sure what we were dealing with. We did the exploratory surgery instead of the endoscopy. It cost about $600 more than the endoscopy would've cost.

Logan had a very difficult recovery. If I could go back, I don't think I would've put him through it. It's tough b/c if you don't do it, you'll always wonder if you're fighting IBD or cancer. You know the steroids aren't enough to get whatever it is under control. Just discuss the treatment options with your vet. If it is lymphoma instead of IBD, you do run the risk of making it more resistant to chemo therapy down the road. But, if they are going to give you Leukeran either way, then does it really matter? You'll just have to weigh it all out. You know Boomer better than anyone else. How old is he? Logan just turned 6, but he was pretty weak by the time we did the surgery. He had stopped eating so they put in the peg tube. That saved his life b/c he would not eat on his own for quite some time after the surgery. It also led to a nasty bacterial infection that nearly killed him. His second surgery (for the infection) was a hell of a lot more expensive than the first surgery! I'm still paying that one off! But, he did beat the odds and I thank God every day I still have him.

I'm so sorry you're going through this with Boomer. I think Laura did the exploratory surgery (instead of the endoscopy) with Quincy and he did really well. He had some trouble with the anesthesia, though, if I remember correctly.

87. PeterDevonMocha

oh traci ... I have absolutely no advice for you. But you guys do have every positive thought I can send your way coming. I can't imagine what you must be going through, trying to make the best decisions, not knowing which ones those are. I feel for you guys, I really do.

(((((((((((((Traci, Boomer, Dave)))))))))))))))

88. Traci and Boomer

Kelly-

Thanks SOOOOOOO much for that post. I've spoken to both my BF and my friend (who has been through a lot surgically and medically) and I don't think I want to do this surgery. He was eating last night and was acting hungry and "like himself" this morning.

The "guest vet" thinks I should have the exploratory - I just called her. I just don't think it's worth it right now.

I told the Internal Medicine doctor to go ahead and do the scope. If it comes back as cancer then we can believe it. If it comes back as "inflamation" than we can't really believe it. But at least if he has cancer I'll know. Plus - I've got two people telling me that the disease is in different areas. Once is someone who does ultrasounds all the time, the other is an internal medicine doctor - who do I believe? I thought having some information was better than none. If the ultrasound guy is right, then the scope wasn't a waste of time. I'm afraid of this surgery and his recovery. Maybe I'll regret this, but right now that's my decision.

89. Ann & Tess GA

((((((((((Traci and Dave)))))))))) You have been through so much getting Boomer healthier w/ FD only to have this dropped on you. Not knowing is the worst, but you know that you are making the best decision you can for Boomer. You are in all our hearts.

90. Linda and Bear Man

I had the scope for Bear and Teddy. They got enough tissue to diagnose IBD in Bear and Lymphoma in Teddy. It's true that you can't get a full thickness sample from a scope, and if the disease is in the layer that they can't reach, then they won't be able to see it. At the time I did the scope, Bear was too sick and weak to tolerate a full abdominal surgery. I didn't think he would survive the procedure. Teddy was in good health, except for passing blood in his stool. I never in a million years expected to get a cancer diagnosis on him. I decided to do the less invasive procedure on both, and if it became necessary, then I could go on and do the surgical biopsy.

One thing you should ask the vet about. I know that taking pred can invalidate the biopsy results, as it does affect the tissue. I assume the same is true of Budesonide. I was told to take the cat off steroids for a period of weeks before biopsy. If you get a negative test, you don't know if the steroids had temporarily healed the disease enough for the cells to look normal. This may not be a concern for you, since the ultrasound still shows significant inflammation.

91. Traci and Boomer

This day has been so weird. I've been up since 5:30 because Boomer woke me up to eat.

Guys- I really strongly feel that Boomer would not do well with an exploratory surgery right now as far as recovery and eating go. He's very thin and they said it would take 10 days for him to recover. What if he was in pain AND wouldn't eat and I had to force feed him only to have him puke? The surgery would be $3200.
    I went through this with my last cat. We ended up giving him a throat feeding tube which broke. Then she put in a stomach tube which because he was sick, it didn't heal right. I won't tell you what happened but it was awful seeing it. I never ever wanted to go through this again. This is why I'm afraid to get another cat. For some reason I am cursed. The last two cats have been chronically sick. When the IM vet called today with the latest news I felt like I was breaking down. When I was able to think I thought that "SOME" information is better than none, so he's being scoped but not operated on.

Linda- Thank you! Yes, she DID say that being on budesonide could affect the results, but she said that him going off it for a month to clear it all out wasn't good either. I guess this just sucks all around. There is no good answer for me. I don't think he'd do well with the surgery though. He's tiny.

92. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

(((Traci))) You are not cursed, I promise. And you are doing what's right for Boomer.

Back when I had the biopsies done on Tucker, we didn't have a choice, he was so sick we didn't even think he would survive a month, we needed to find out what was wrong. It took ER trips and lots of work to help him heal from the biopsies.

Tucker's results came back IBD, but could that be a false positive from his bowels being so inflamed for so long, maybe, who knows.

At this point, I might consider Prednisone over budesonide simply because in my mind, it helps more. Tucker didn't do well on budesonide but on pred he's doing great. His BGs are higher and his dose of insulin has gone from .5U to 1.75U but I'd rather fight the BGs than whatever else.

You can do everything right, but cats get sick. These days they are living longer than ever before. As a kid, my cats lived to maybe 10 yrs, they were indoor outdoors, dry food eaters. So now my 15+ kitties are sick, but that is age, my own sweet Trouble, a littermate to my handsome Gett passed before he was 13, it wasn't my fault, he had CRF, he drank tons of water since kitten hood.

Scream, cry and yell all you want, take your frustration out on the board, but please don't close up, don't feel cursed or fear getting another cat. Remember how much love your cats have received and who would have done so much and tried so hard for them if not for you.

93. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((((Traci Traci Traci))))))) You and Boomer are in my thoughts and prayers today. You know Boomer more than anyone and if you think he is too weak then you made the right decision. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

94. Traci and Boomer

I just got a call from the vet. She did the scope and he's waking up. She told me that he had so much food in his stomach that she couldn't see to get it through to the intestine. She had to stop. She called and offered to keep him over night, feed him some and stop at about 4PM this time instead of 12AM and try again tomorrow at no charge.

She said his stomach doesn't look normal-it looks thickened too. BTW-This wasn't on the ultrasound - the ultrasound it looked fine. She got stomach biopsies.

I think I want to try this again. Please help me. They will feed him, so he won't be starving. I should do it, right?

Now I am a mess at work. I feel terrible. But I feel like I should have them try - do you? I called Dave but he didn't answer. My friend at work thinks I should try since he's already there.

95. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Re: Boomer - bioposy partly done - HELP!

Would they be able to clean out some of that food that seems stuck? Could be a hairball or something at the end stopping everything up.

96. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

(((((((Traci))))))) wish I could offer some advice to you but I know nothing about all of this! So sorry you have to go through all of this and no you are not cursed!!!! Just sending hugs and support your way!!!!!!!!!

97. Ann & Tess GA

If it were me, I'd have them try again. When will the results of the stomach biopsy be back?

98. paige

paige Well-Known Member

As long as they can keep him comfortable, if it were me I would try again. Can you visit him this evening? Will someone be with him overnight? Can they give him fluids at least, I would think he needs something.

99. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Oh Traci, I feel for you! After losing a 2yo cat to fatty liver, and then having Max develop FD, I too said I would not pick out another cat to bring home. If we come to the point where we want another cat, I will probably let someone else in my family choose him/her! For now tho I'm just hoping to keep the two I have healthy and see how things go.

Anyway, I think you did the right thing with the scope instead of the surgery. If, indeed, both diseases would be treated with the same drug, I don't think it would be worth the cost or the damage/recovery to Boomer to have it done. And because he's already there, and she thinks she can do it better tomorrow, I would let her try to do the scope one more time. If she is unable to do it tomorrow, then I would stop and bring him home.

100. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Traci, I'm so sorry about everything that is happening! I wish I knew answers, but of course I don't. You may have to rely on instinct/intuition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.