Boot and me

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by boot11bod, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boot11bod

boot11bod New Member

hi all!! I have an 11 yr old female kitty newly diagnosed with diabetis. She just started Hills prescription diet M/D. In 10 days i take her to the Vet to see if her levels came down. I hope this works and i won't need insulin!!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    A prescription dies it not required and there are better commercial foods than MD. You want a low-carb food and those are really all canned. Here is a listing of low-carb canned food
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Most of use here test our cat's blood sugar using a human hand held meter. That is more convenient and less expensive than going to the vet to get BGs and also frequently the BG level is raised by vet stress and thus the BG are higher than they would be at home.
    If on insulin most of use test the BG before each shot and periodically between shots.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. If absolutely necessary, there are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.