Boozle - Observations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Boozle, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Hi all. Boozle is newely diagnosed so we've been working with him the past few days and monitoring where he is at -- and trying to reeducate ourselves.

So far, it looks like the one unit that was working for them at the vets is not working here. The differences could be foods, the fact that they gave him fluids there, maybe shot site, I am thinking?

After three cycles in the red and pink, we went ahead and raised the dosage to 1.25. We are going on the third cycle at 1.25 with a very small BG decline around midcycle and we were in the black at PMPS, for the first time since he came home. We were shooting at the clavicle, and changed to the flank this evening to see if that made a difference. With the ProZinc, seems he is always higher at +2 and we've only seen change once at +4. I'm thinking until we start seeing more yellow in his future, around +6 is a better time to test.

He never quit eating, but really wasn't eating much. We switched his food today from a 4-5% carb Friskies pate to a 3% Sheba pate, just to see if he would eat something different. He ate approx. half at +7 and the other half PMPS, which is more than he had been eating, so we are feeling pretty good about that.

I gave him Cerenia two days in a row, which really didn't do much for his appetite. Last night he got .03ml bupe, which again, did not change much. We have not given him either today.

He is definitely stronger and more energetic today. Maybe he needed a few days for the antibiotics to kick in.

And - we were shooting at 9:30 A&P and are rolling it back three hours starting tonight. We shot 30 minutes early.

Anyway, I think we are pretty much past the panic stage, so I guess I am just kind of looking for someone to check our homework, if they have a minute. I know we changed quite a bit in a short amount of time which is ill-advised. Outside of that, if anyone sees anything that looks like an obvious no-no, feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
    -Tina

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like you're doing everything right so far, but I know it's hard to see those icky kinds of numbers.

I think you could go up to 1.5 tomorrow.

Just a little added information.....I know that you had used Lantus before....do you know you can buy it from Canada for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost?

If you're interested, here's the Information on buying Lantus from Canada

3. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Thank you for looking it over. I have a good friend who gave me some Lantus. She was concerned though, that the power had went out for a while. She said it was in the fridge and the milk didn't go bad, but she wasn't sure how fragile the insulin was. I'm not sure I am comfortable trying it, where we are now. I'll check that link out. I would feel better if we had him on it, to be honest.

We are going to set an alarm and check him at +6 to see if there has been any notable change. I was thinking 1.5 was appropriate, but not quite sure, so I appreciate the feedback.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It should be fine.....Lantus isn't quite as fragile as we used to say it was.

Also, a fridge that loses power will stay cold for a very long time as long as nobody keeps opening the door, so if it's clear with no floaties and not terribly old, it's probably just fine

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  5. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

He did pretty well last night: 185 at mid-cycle and 249 this morning. Nice to see some lower numbers, for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.