911 Both Relion and Alpha BG reading "Hi!"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LittleRoo, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Wasn't expecting this! Not sure what to do.. I shot her 1 unit of prozinc at 12:30pm.
    Was hoping to get to vet tomorrow morning but not liking this Hi reading - which I never got before.
    Is she in danger? Do I shoot her insulin?

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything on your spreadsheet after September of last year, so it's difficult to give a whole lot of information. What sort of numbers has she been getting? Has she been on 1 unit all the way from last year? Has she been, or does she seem sick? Any change in diet? Any other medications recently introduced or discontinued? And do you have ketone test strips so you can make sure she doesn't have ketones?

LittleRoo likes this.
  3. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Yes - I started writing them on paper and haven't had a chance to get them into my spreadsheet yet.
    But I also had to briefly stop her insulin the past few months due to financial and very personal reasons which I can't get into here. (Please don't judge. I love her very much!)
    The first I noticed anything wrong was yesterday as she wasn't eating the wet as normal. I gave her some liver shake tonight and she ate most on her own.
    I tested her (relion) at 12:30pm today and her BG was 474.
    I then gave her 1 unit of insulin.
    Tested again at 1:45pm BG was 502.
    Tested again at 3pm BG was 530.
    Tested again at 6pm and BG was 465 - which was lower than the first test which seemed better.
    I would have taken her to the vet today but it's Sunday and they are closed. I am hoping to take her tomorrow AM first thing.

4. manxcat419

I think at this point a vet visit is really going to be best. She may well need a dose adjustment, but I don't think that's something I can give you advice on as I can't see what her numbers have been doing. I'm not judging - I promise. I just don't want to advise you something that might not be in her best interests as I don't have all the information available and I really would hate to think that something I'd suggested had made things worse for her. I would continue with insulin as you have been until you can see the vet - with numbers that high, she clearly does need some insulin right now so the safest thing you can really do is keep her dose the same until you can talk to your vet. If you can't get her in tomorrow, maybe the vet would at least be able to discuss next steps with you over the phone - any advice is better than none if an appointment isn't available. For now, please do try to keep her eating something - food may make her numbers higher, especially if she'll only eat higher carb food but lack of food can be very serious in any cat, and in a diabetic can contribute to a DKA episode which I know is something you would want to avoid. And here are some :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you. I know how difficult it is when things aren't going well and we don't know what to do next. And while I can't advise, I can sympathize and send healing vines for Little Roo for a safe and peaceful night.

Chris & China (GA) and LittleRoo like this.
  5. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Thank you very much... I definitely need to get her to the vet tomorrow morning asap

I just shot her 1.5 unit. I do worry about Ketoacidosis now.

6. manxcat419

Try not to worry. There's little you can do until morning that you're not already doing so worrying, difficult though it is not to do, is only going to make you feel worse. And that's something you don't need right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.