Bounce or not enough insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by RRaptor, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Olivia's coat is improving, her appetite seems normal, she's not drinking excessively. Her diabetes are not controlled. Could someone take a look at the spreadsheet and offer any ideas? I recently shared it with the vet, but she is unconcerned and hasn't replied yet. Am I going to have to do some night checks to make sure she's not going too low at night, causing those scary morning highs?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...well first and foremost, the fact that she SEEMS better, is a good start. I know the numbers aren't great, but we get caught up in numbers sometimes here. Remember that Olivia is not just a number. Her symptoms having gotten better is GREAT.

As for her numbers...that's a tough one. My honest thought is she just isn't getting enough insulin. Any numbers you can get at night are helpful, but the other night you got a +6 which was yellow and then she was black in the morning. Looking back a few weeks, she was hitting her low numbers early in the cycle.

Has anything changed foodwise or environment wise? Any possibility of an infection of some sort brewing? If not, I think she might just need more insulin right now. She's not getting very low during the day and what we've seen of the night isn't low either. I know she was doing well on 2 units not so long ago, but insulin needs can change over time.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good advice from Rachel. I'd try carefully increasing by 0.25 u at a time. Do the increases on a weekend or when you can be home to monitor.

Djamila likes this.
  4. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Rachel Nothing has changed, except perhaps that our foster kitten is 4 months old and REALLY annoying to everyone, all the time. She is eating more than she was mid-July, but feeding friskies pates. Food switch happened at beginning of spreadsheet after a DKA.

@Kris & Teasel I can try a .25 increase. I'm leaving town Thursday, however, and boarding Liv at the vet's for 5 days since her DKA was also when I was out of town and my brother/pet sitter is afraid of something happening again.

5. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Ok, I sent the vet a research article. She agreed I could up to 3 units, but watch for hypo. Instead, I'm going low and slow up to (what I guess is) 2.25 on a u-40 with only unit markings.

Anyone have luck with vet/ techs going along with this sort of dosing while boarding?

6. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

It looks like 2.25 gave us pink and yellow. Safe to up to 2.5 this morning after 3 doses at 2.25?

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so, especially if you can monitor. Get a +2 to see where she's headed.

Rachel likes this.
  8. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

346 at +2

9. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

226 +5

Rachel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.