Bounce-what causes it?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dave & Missy, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Hello All

My Missy has just gone through a roller coaster run from 65 up to 400's . This went on for about 2 weeks. During this time I dropped her from 1 unit twice a day to 1/4 unit once a day but I could not stop the roller coaster. She is an intact cat who went into heat. That's seems to be the reason it stopped. Unfotunately the stoppage seems to be holding almosy steady at the low 300's. I have increased Lantus dosages 3 times at 1/4 unit increases & she is nack at 1 unit twice a day but the number are not moving.
    From what I have read thanks to info from this site it appears to be Symogyi rebound. I asked my Vet but she did not think that was it. Today the Vet recommended going up to 2 units twice a day but the Syomogyi info outlines this senario almost exactly the same as what I am dealing with so I am cutting the dosage by 1/4 unit to see results.
    Has anyone had a similar experience? Missy was diagnosed May 5 2010 & has not been regulated. The Vet wants to spay her believing that her not being fixed may have a big factor on what's going on with the numbers.

Thank you

Dave

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not remember any other intact cats being on the board. Most cats seem to get FD when they are about ten or so years old and most cats are fixed by then. How old is MIssy? Does she have any other health problems?

Some cats are just hard to regulate. I have been working on my Bailey for over five years and he still is not regulated. Yesterday evening he gave me a BG of 48.

3. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

That could be true according to the Vetsulin website:

http://www.vetsulin.com/cat-owner/Diagnosis.aspx

"Spaying your female cat

If your cat has not been spayed, your veterinarian will recommend this procedure as part of the treatment. This is because one of the female sex hormones, called progesterone, can interfere with the normal action of insulin. In order to remove the source of progesterone, spaying intact females diagnosed with diabetes is essential."

Also, what is her current diet?

4. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Thanks for replies & links

Missy is 7-1/2 years & besides this has been checked last couple of month & no ketones & good bloodwork.
    She is on Fancy Feast Liver & Chicken & Cod, Sole & Shrimp.
    I am worried of a repeat of the roller coaster numbers if I have her fixed my "safety" will be gone. But it seems to be what needs to be done.
    Then comes the worry about what happens to sugar levels for a diabetic cat after surgery?

Thanks

Dave

5. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Are you hometesting her? If so, then you have the control. Not to worry! You might find that her insulin needs will be much less and hopefully you can get her on the road to remission. We see it happen all the time here.

Also, if you want to you can get help over in the Lantus Insulin Support group here on this site. They can walk you through it and this might help ease your mind. Just introduce yourself. :)

You little girl will be fine. Keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.