? Bouncing Gremlin, what to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Gremlin (GA), Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Help! Please!
    Gremlin keeps bouncing wildly all over the place and I need to stop it :(
    My vet is telling me to dose him on his preshot numbers (even though I send the spreadsheet to her) after telling me to only test him every couple of days. She wants his dose at 2.5u of Lantus but the bounce is getting worse.
    I'd rather have him consistently on 15 (world numbers sorry) than bouncing between 5 and 25!
    Thank you!

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I see in your sig that you are transitioning diet. Have you completely gotten dry food out of his diet yet? Even small amounts will cause big swings in BGs. Until that is gone you might not stop seeing the bounces.

The bounces do eventually settle down. You can look just before your reds and find a green or blue. Last night there is a good chance there was a number under 100 after that 103. The more time they spend there, the more they get used to it. It just takes time for their bodies to heal sometimes.

3. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

It's proving difficult to fully change his diet. My other three cats refuse to stop eating the dry food (one throws everything else up). He only wants his wet food but he's constantly hungry and will eat whatever is available. I try to ensure the other food is out of reach but with a whole bunch of grazers he still gets some every now and then.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,
    You normally post in L and L land don't you? So you can also ask this bouncing question over there where they know you and Grem if you like.
    What do you mean when you said in the comments column of the SS...'accidently pushed too much insulin from syringe'.
    Do you mean pushed into Grem or out of the syringe into the sink?

I agree with Melanie. Bounces do eventually settle down, and some cats take longer than others to stop.
    Bounces usually happen because the BSL has dropped too low, or has dropped to a number the cat 'thinks' is too low, or has dropped too fast.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe switch the other cats to Evo Cat and Kitten dry, so the contraband isn't so high in carbs.

6. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I wrote that as my vet is insisting a raise his dose but I've been advised here not to jump so much. I was trying to give him 2.5u as advised by the vet but when I was squirting out excess insulin and air from the syringe, I squirted out a bit too much. Nothing to do with Grem himself.

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in L&L.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok, wasn't quite sure what you meant by saying 'pushing too much from the syringe'.
    Your instincts were right....it is better to go up slowly by 0.25 unit each time. Most vets like to go up by 1 unit at a time or 0.5 I have found, probably because they don't think the client can manage to draw up 0.25 unit increments.
    It is fine to post here if you have a question ( you might get more eyes on it) but it is also fine to ask on L and L land.:)

8. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I have diabetic dry food at home but I think it's still 15%. I'm not sure if I can get Evo here. I might have to order it. And my youngest has a sensitive stomach so it'll be a bit of trial and error :(

9. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

If you find the secret to stopping bounces, please share!! After 18 months Frankie is still bouncing to the moon and back!!!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sorry - missed the Australia! The 15% diabetic dry may be the best you can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.