Bouncing kitty

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

hi kids- I’ve heard of bouncing but wow. Can someone take a look at today? This one threw me for a loop. Should I go back to 2U? I was getting good results at fat 2 before I left and lowered dose to 2 U while sitter was here and not testing so I don’t know what her levels were through 8 cycles of 2U but this seems really unusual even for a bounce. Happy Valentine’s Day all!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That 54 on an AT meter is far too low. Time to reduce her dose. Try a regular 2 u or even a skinny 2 u. Draw up 2 u and let out a drop for that.

The red could be from the treats if they're high carb. It could also be a fast onset bounce.

3. Lisa and little

I know. She is so unpredictable. I hate the thought of changing her insulin but I can’t seem to get a good pattern. Makes me sad and anxious. I will drop her to 2U for a bit and then decide. :oops: BTW.. she acted and seemed fine even at that number.. so crazy

4. Kris & Teasel

I feel your pain ... ;)

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa...how's little doing today? Looks like as of yesterday she's still working for those reductions!

Rachel likes this.
  6. Lisa and little

Hey Djamila, Have her at 2U. Didn’t test after +6 today but she hovered around 200. Didn’t get a chance to update SS. The 2 lows this week threw me. Hoping perhaps her body is healing a bit and on her way to further reductions? Thanks for checking up on us. It means a lot. Been thinking a lot about Griff the last few days. I haven’t seen an update...

7. Djamila

Given that she got a lime green on 2u, I think you should drop down below that. Maybe try 1.8, or 1.6 depending on where she is tonight? Anytime she hits a lime green, lower the dose on the next cycle. You're still under six months since diagnosis so you want to be a little more cautious than some of us long-termers need to be. ;)

8. Lisa and little

Yes. However that was when I shot on a 200 ps. So far she’s been back up in the 300s as ps so I thought to keep at 2 and monitor. Do you think I should lower regardless?

9. Djamila

I'm only seeing numbers on your spreadsheet up through 2/15. Would you mind adding the past couple of days? I have some guesses, but I think seeing the data would help :)

10. Lisa and little

Hi Djamila,
    Just updated. Interested to see what you’re thinking. Yesterday she was looking for food at +9 so I fed her some ..: just to see how far it threw her number off at PM but seemed right in line to me. Had to give her ear a little break so no mid night tests last night...

11. Djamila

Yesterday's cycle was pretty high and flat, which could be a bounce from an overnight low. And today's high AMPS could be the same thing. I still think I'd drop to 1.8u and give it a couple of days, but let's see what @Kris & Teasel thinks because she has more experience with a bouncy cat, and @Rachel because she has more experience with all the cats. :):):). It's true that sometimes with bouncy cats you have to just ignore the occasional dive. But two dives, two days in a row makes me think the dose might be a smidge high.

12. Lisa and little

Geez Louise... does a warrant for reduction signify she may be healing?

13. Djamila

Could be. Or it could just be that she's having a good couple of days. And right as you bring the dose down a little she'll decide she wants more again. :cat:

14. Lisa and little

Lovely... lol:banghead: +4.5 is 131

Djamila likes this.
  15. Djamila

Well, now she's making me rethink the reduction. That's a lovely cycle today...staying nice and steady through the nadir hours....hmmm....:bookworm:

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....I spent some time studying your SS just now and I do think you might be seeing some bouncing. However, I'm not sure I'd reduce just yet. My reasoning is that while you did get 2 dives 2 days in a row, they were on different doses. We've seen some cats who simply just have an overreaction to a dose change that causes that dive...no idea why. Since then, Little has been higher, but there have been drops happening. Today, so far, she's gotten into some nice blues from a pink preshot. To me, this says that there might be some light bouncing going on, but she might need some time to allow that dose to work. That seems to be her pattern looking back some...a few days on a dose and she starts hitting lower numbers mid cycle. I think if she was mine, I'd stick with 2 units for a few more days and just see what happens.

I can see the case for reduction from what Djamila said, but just from what I'm seeing on your SS, I'm thinking holding might be a good choice.

Djamila likes this.
  17. Lisa and little

Thanks Rachel, that was my inclination but then her +8 was 315. Bounce perhaps? Unfortunately I had to step out for a few hours after the +5... I’ll try to get a mid nite test tonight but assuming she’s in the 300s at PS I’m inclined to stick with 2U tonight. @Djamila ??? Lol

18. Lisa and little

So PMPs is 411cod this be a bounce that requires a reduction??! Hopefully someone sees this as I have to shoot soon...xoxox

19. Kris & Teasel

I'd keep the 2 u dose tonight.

20. Lisa and little

I did. But something tells me the highs may be a bounce so would that perhaps require a reduction? She went from almost 400 amps to nice 100s at +4 and 5 then spiked back up by + 8. Bouncing or just not enough? Grrrrrrh!

21. Djamila

I don't think either one, really. 411 is red, so it looks worse, but it's really right in the same range as your normal PS numbers. Just this morning she was 395 which is only 16 points less. I think she's just running a smidge higher than normal today, but nothing too serious. Grab a before-bed test tonight to see where she's headed, and hopefully she'll be back in the lower pinks or yellows tomorrow. :bighug:

22. Lisa and little

My worry is earlier this week we had PS numbers in the 200s when she was getting FAT2...??? So dang confusing

23. Djamila

Ah. See what she does tonight and where her AMPS lands. Or switch to a human meter and you'll be back in the yellows again. ;):smuggrin:

24. Lisa and little

Lmao... switch meters to feel better. Hehehe when I run out of these strips I’ll consider it. But are they equally accurate ? I just feel awful because I know with all this up and down she doesn’t feel great

25. Djamila

Not exactly equally accurate. The AT2 is closer to lab values. However, the human meter is accurate enough to give you the data you need: too high, too low, just right. And switching meters to feel better is totally legit. This dance is hard on the care giver! Anything we can do to keep our sanity is a good idea. :bighug:

Jenna Josie and Kris & Teasel like this.
  26. Lisa and little

I suck at dancing. Both my feet are left for sure. And the above assumes I was sane to start out. ,,, perhaps not

27. Lisa and little

I give... +6.5 is 348 :mad:

28. Kris & Teasel

I second Djamila's suggestion to switch to a human meter. That psychological boost is great and you can still keep Little safe and get her into a good BG range. That's not even considering the cost savings ...

Looks like you'll be shimmying back and forth between 2u and a fat 2 u. That's just the way they are sometimes. I've spent months shifting Teasel between a fat 1 u and a skinny 1.5 u. Right now it's between 1.25 u and a skinny 1.5 u. o_O

29. Lisa and little

Thank guys. I’m gonna keep her at 2U this week as I am traveling for work Thursday Friday and Saturday. So will have the sitter those days with no tests. That’s assuming we have no nose dives at 2U before then. I have 250 strips left so I’m gonna run them out before I switch to human meter. Shouldn’t take long at the rate I’m testing. 2 questions.... if the human meter just reads lower isn’t it a false sense of things being better? And what meter do you recommend? I’ve researched them and want to go with the smallest blood drop but I also like the zip wick strips on the AT2 and freestyle strips.the collection area is also on the sides of those strips so it’s reslly easy to get the blood on them. If I’m gonna continue freestyle .. there really is no cost savings. Open to suggestions as if I can save some dough it would be great as this is an expensive proposition as you all know. But I can’t seem to find a meter that uses a .3ml of blood that has inexpensive strips ... and it also seems most human meter strips have the collection area in the middle which will take some getting used to I suppose. Open to suggestions!!

30. Djamila

I think the relion micro uses the smaller blood sample. Not sure on the cost of strips, or if you have a walmart near you.

It's a false sense of "better" at first, but the lower numbers are closer between the two types of meters, so greens and blues aren't all that far off from accurate. And pinks and reds are bad no matter what. So the meters might read really different - a 300 on a human meter might be a 400 on an AT2 (there's no way to convert, so those numbers are just a random example). So yes, the 300 feels better (falsely) than the 400, but they are still both way too high = you're still getting the information you need, but your heart wont' hurt quite as much. In the lower numbers folks who have run side by side tests have found them to be fairly close, and one member who used to be here and run side-by-sides found that in greens, often the human meter will actually read a little higher than the AT2. So it's not as "false" once you get the kitty fairly well regulated.

This chart shows comparisons of different meters. It's from 2016 though: http://main.diabetes.org/dforg/pdfs/2016/2016-cg-meters-chart.pdf

Looks like Little danced right on the edge today. I'm going to push for a smidge less insulin when the pet sitter is there since she's been lime green or close to it at this dose. But for whatever odd reason, I'm feeling conservative in dosing lately, so it won't hurt my feelings if you decide to ignore me. :rolleyes::D;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  31. Lisa and little

Danced on the edge then boogied right on up to 439 at PMPS. Could this be a bounce.?? She came up from that 68 to 92 on her own... no food or treats and the AT2 strip read 82 when the insulinx strip read 68. Just trying to figure out what is going on!! BUT... I am definitely going to lower with sitter

Djamila likes this.
  32. Djamila

Could be a bounce. Could also just be that the insulin ran out. Your PM cycle was higher than ideal, but not exactly flat (flat indicates a bounce). It might have been high enough to call it flat, or it might have been low enough to say it's not a bounce. And the PS number was in the normal range for Little at PMPS. It's kind of in the in between zone. Apparently Little likes to keep us guessing ;).

I might say she runs lower during the day (the opposite of most cats - but we do have other cats who are lower during the day). or it might be that she goes lower during the day, bounces at night, recovers quickly, and goes lower again during the day. :cat: Maybe Little is dancing to Flamenco music (complicated rhythms) :smuggrin:

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  33. Lisa and little

Flamenco... I was in Barcelona this summer. Beautiful dance but not with my girl! Lol

Djamila likes this.
  34. Lisa and little

I am so confused. Flat meaning surfing? Before I went away on Feb 7th I thought I was headed in the right direction. Today I reduced a bit at AM as her PS was lower and she hovered on the cusp yesterday with a 68. Should I have held the 2 ? Her numbers suck today.. have to lower for sitter Thursday pm anyway since we had some limes this week but this is getting so frustrating. I just want her to feel better and all this up and down has to be hard on her. Sad...

35. Djamila

The mid-cycles are worse, but the PS's are better. Now if we could just convince Little to put those together...

She is a bouncy girl, so you're going to have some good cycles and some bad cycles. Try to focus on the overall trends (lots of greens lately), and not too much on individual cycles. Some days are just like that. :bighug:

36. Kris & Teasel

This is exactly how I have to deal with Teasel, good and bad being relative to where you are in the FD dance. I watch to see if I still get a scattering of dark green while being able to keep him away from the big dive into lime.

In recent days I've been away from home during the day so my middle cycle data is missing but I know his patterns really well and can make very good guesses about what might have happened. It's not the recommended testing routine but we've been at this a. long. time.

Djamila likes this.