Bouncy Lewie - need dosing advice this A.M.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy4Lewie, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Happy New Year!
    Last night Lewie's PMPS was 202 so I stalled.
    +2 was 199
    +2.45 was 271 so I gave him only 0.2 units when his normal dose would have been 2 skinny.
    This activity is something new for Lewie so I'm wondering if I should cut his dosage this morning as well. Say maybe only 1 unit?
    :bookworm: What are your thoughts? I need to shoot pretty soon so if anyone is awake I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

2. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

This morning, 7 hours after the 0.2 units = 399

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you can continue giving a straight 2 u for now. I don't think he's quite at the stage where fat and skinny doses are going to help a lot. Your lowest recently is a 79 which is in a very safe zone on a human meter. I think you could have given 2 u on last night's 202. These experiments are needed to see where the "no shot" boundary is now that you have quite a bit of data.

4. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I use 200 as his "safe to shoot" number so I agree, I probably could have given his normal shot last night... but I hesitated then gave the tiny dose. We should be back on track now! Thank you! :coffee:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Every dose is a learning opportunity ... ;)

Don & Tigger and majandra like this.
  6. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Just tested... +6 = 59. Pretty low for him...

7. Kris & Teasel

Yes, still in the safe zone but getting close to 50. Unexpected after the red this AM and a teeny tiny dose last night. Let's wait to see what PMPS is. It might be worth trying a "preemptive" reduction to 1.75 u. Kitties with several health issues are often less stable in their responses.

8. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Thank you for your reply. I couldn't remember what the "danger" number was... I'll add 50 to my notes. I tested him at +7=72, and +9=164 so we are in the clear!

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Good morning! Last night's PMPS was 119 so I feed him, stalled 1 hour and 45 minutes and gave a reduced shot.
    Question: I need to leave for the vet with another cat at 8:45am. Lewie's normal shot time is 9:30am Central. I will test him at 8:30am but don't know what to do... Do I shoot early? Or do I wait until I get home from the vet about 11am, which is about 12 hours from when I gave the reduced shot last night? I'm assuming he will test High at 8:30am but it's Lewie so I don't know. Thank for your thoughts.

10. Kris & Teasel

I'd wait until you get back because you don't want this dose to overlap with the previous one given the low PS last night. You can go back to your regular shot time in up to one hour increments, numbers permitting (smaller increments if he's running lower).

Also - I'd do a PS when you get home (closer to his delayed shot time) to get a better idea of what he's up to.

11. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Is it ok to feed him this morning before I go?

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be a couple hours before you test/feed/shoot, so go ahead and feed him. Good luck at the vet!

13. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Thank you!