Brand New to kitty diabetes feeding help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cyndibalz, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndibalz

cyndibalz Member

Biscuits just got home from the vet after his diagnosis. He is on vetsilun 2 units twice a day. He is going to an all wet diet. Currently giving him fancy feast chicken Pate. Vet recommended feeding twice a day. Dude is hungry and I feel bad. Is it ok to give him a can in the morning and evening but split a can between him and his brother 5 or so hours after his shot? We aren't home testing currently. Were taking him back in Tuesday for another blood test. I am going to get him some freeze fried chicken treats cause he loves to ring his bell and shake for a snack. He's a big boy not fat just a big kitty. 15 lbs when we took him in Tuesday. He has lost weight over the last 6 months and just looks so thin now. I don't wanna starve the poor guy just want him healthy and happy.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Most of us feed mini meals between shots, and the freeze dried treats are fine too. (I’d like to see him ring his bell and shake for a treat!) Please do start home testing. It’s easy and we’ll be glad to help you learn. It’s the best way to keep Biscuits safe and see how well the insulin is working.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

Unregulated diabetes like he is right now causes that his body to not really be able to obtain all the nutrients he needs from the food he eats and that is the reason he's always hungry, his body is telling his brain that he needs food even if he has already eaten, usually if he is not overweight you can let him eat all he wants at least until he is regulated and as Sharon mentioned you can split the food in several meals during the day, that also helps

You are off to a good start but if you are changing food to a low carb wet food I would strongly recommend that you start testing at home because most of the times changing food changes his insulin requirements and it can be very dangerous to give insulin without knowing first if it's safe not to scare you but when a cat's blood glucose levels goes too low (this is called a hypoglycemic or hypo episode ) is really dangerous

Christie & Maverick and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

When you first get this diagnosis for your kitty, it can be overwhelming. I agree with multiple feedings each day, in fact, I give my diabetic and non-diabetic cat 2 main meals, and 4 snacks a day. Indeed, please be careful with complete chane out from dry and starting insulin, I have seen a few kitties who had better blood sugar levels with diet change alone.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.