breaking the 2 hour before injection rule, AM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I had no choice yesterday. A doctors appointment I could not postpone and bad weather/roads meant slow public transit and 7 hours out of the house. Noah had not eaten for a minimum of 2 hours so I fed him and immediately tested and gave him a 2/3 dose. I'm assuming his metabolism will change after eating and therefore his reading will not be accurate but if I test him within a minute of his last bite and proceed as normal is this acceptable? Life gets in the way, it was either forgo the insulin altogether or change his 12/12 cycle by hours. Thoughts?

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

They say 20 minutes for food to get into the blood system. I’ve done this with Baby too & just gave a smaller dose. I’m with you & think it’s fine! I know some cats are very sensitive to even low carb food. I have observed through testing that Baby’s bg goes up around 100 pts after eating. But that’s an hour later.

Sylvie, Bellasmom and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was fine. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you Kris, Becky. Noah's not fragile, guess I needed to hear what I already knew.
    On the bright side I did see a car laying on it's side on the 401 which explained why traffic was so slow (not a total rollover, no injuries, no drama). Maybe Toonces was driving or maybe it was one of those magical self driving monstrosities. Uh huh :oops:

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

That’s a long time for an appt.! You must be a patient person!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.