Brewer's yeast and diabetes: Help or hindrance?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any good reliable info regarding the effect of brewer's yeast on diabetic cats?

I've read quite a bit online today but so much of the info seems contradictory... There are numerous reports of brewers yeast being good for diabetic cats (because the chromium helps to stabilize BG levels, and can also reduce the need for insulin). And some reports saying to avoid giving brewers yeast because it interferes with the insulin cycle.....

I only came across this info at all because I've started making raw cat food and am looking into the pros and cons of various supplements. However...

....It strikes me that if brewers yeast IS beneficial to diabetic cats then it may have a helpful role to play in getting/keeping cats in remission......somehow.....maybe.......

I know there are some really smart people on this forum, and surely someone out there knows more about this....?

2. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Re: Brewer's yeast for cats. Good or bad..?

I'm thinking it was nutritional yeast that I've given my kitties and they loved. Don't know about the diabetic connection, tho. Makes their coats so soft!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.