? Brief Progress Report

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Boozle, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Boozle has been on daily fluids for three days. We started him on Cyproheptadine, along with daily .02 of Bupe and half of a Cerenia. He started eating on his own again, but still not enough, so we have been hand feeding him since the initial food strike. I am increasing his food intake by .65oz a day ans we are up to 3.9 oz today. Another .65, and he'll be where the doc wanted him. Today he ate a tsp on his own and hasn't taken food without placing it in his mouth.

The only notable progress is he isn't peeing in his sleep anymore. He still sleeps with his eyes open. He is still weak and stumbly. He is still drinking and peeing quite a bit. He was a bit constipated, but when I lubed him up with gravy last night, he gave us a big healthy one. He is also still affectionate and seeking to be with people/ other animals. He can still get up on furniture, but it makes us cringe to watch. No breathing issues we see. He does not seem to be making much progress, but he isn't getting worse.

I was kind of wondering, for those of you who have dealt with later stage kidney disease, what the progress looked like for you? I know every cat is different and I know it has only been three days. I sort of feel like we are in limbo, though. He is going in tomorrow morning for a weight and we are going to see if they will test his creat. and BUN again and ask about his urine concentration. Any ideas of other tests he might benefit from? I am going to ask for a copy of his previous panel, too.

2. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

So we finally caught up with our vet this morning. He said it is anyone's guess where this is going at this point. He also said he didn't want to do any tests right now, because he didn't want to treat him by the numbers. For now, there was nothing that jumped out that was any more dire than it had been. Weight is low, but fluctuations were normal. He gave him a shot of B-12, not sure it was going to help but we requested it and he didn't see a problem with it. The big things we are supposed to be doing is figuring out how many fluids he can absorb, continuing getting food in him, and finding the absolute minimum he needs as far as meds go. The regulation of sugar, goes without saying.

The good news is that he seems to feel pretty good today. More mobile and has more fight in him. I'm not hanging my hat on anything right now, but I'll take a good day!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hang in there Tina. Glad he seems to have perked up a little. Hope you feel better Boozle :cat:

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  4. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

He is doing pretty well today. He was preening and I haven't seen that in a while. His balance seems better too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.